Naples Port to Capri to Positano back to Naples Port?

FloridaLoriKim

Hello All!

I hope you all can help me!

I don't know if I'm being too ambitions, but is this possible...

We dock at Naples port from 7am to 8pm (October 9th). We will be taking the hydrofoil to Capri where we will board a boat for 2 hour to sight see around Capri. Then back to Capri to walk around for about 3 hours. Is it possible to then take a ferry/fast boat to Positano to walk around (would like to walk around the area where we stayed last year, which was where our B&B was, Villa Yara, on Viale Pasitea. We would plan to walk the "road" that the hotel was on, to shop, etc. and see the beach area. If there is another similar area that has easy access from beach to shopping, etc., that would be fine too. We would then want to take a fast boat/ferry back to Naples port area.

My question is, is there such a thing as fast boats going back and forth to these areas, how long do each of them take, and would this be possible within our time frame, given that we need to be back to the ship by 7pm latest?

I look forward to your replies!

I'm not sure it's possible to do what you are hoping to do in the time allotted -- at least not if you want to stick with the amount of time you're planning to spend in Capri.

It takes 45 minutes on the quickest hydrofoil from Naples to Capri. Given your arrival time, it's unlikely you'd be able to get to Capri much before 9:00 am. (You can't make the 7:00 am run and the next one leaves at 8:05 am.)

Then your two hour tour + 3 hours walk-around time in Capri makes it already 2:00 pm.

On the Capri to Positano route, it looks like the only fast ferry choices around mid-day to early afternoon are 12 noon (too early) and 3:10 (maybe too late?). These ferries take 30 minutes....

Another big problem may be that there isn't a direct fast ferry from Positano to Naples. You'd have to take a ferry from Positano to Sorrento and then Sorrento to Naples. There is a fast ferry from Positano to Sorrento at 4:55 pm but it takes 40 minutes.....but the last ferry from Sorrento to Naples will have already departed. And at that point it is getting rather late to contemplate taking the train, which takes over an hour from Sorrento to Naples....

I am getting a headache just contemplating all the moving parts and the amount of time you'll spend getting from one place to another versus enjoying actually BEING somewhere.

I wouldn't advise it.

I too would not advise it because of the difficulty of the Postiano to Naples segment. First you'd have to get from Positano to Sorrento; while there may be a boat option I would not count on it, which leaves you with an expensive cab ride or a long (one hour) bus ride.

The last ferry of the night from Sorrento to Naples would work for you as it departs at 6:45 PM and arrives at 7:30, which should be the all aboard time for an 8 PM departure. (The ferry port is adjacent to the cruise port so there's no difficulty getting from there to the ship, but you might be 5 minutes past the goal time but well before the actual departure time.)

The issues are (1) getting to that ferry from Positano and (2) there is NO backup plan if the ferry does not run for some reason (usually weather related as these are boats used by commuters and are very regular). The last train that would get you back in time leaves a few minutes before 6 PM so that isn't an option if you wait for the ferry and it doesn't work.

Cruisemom, you're 100% correct! Thank you for explaining this to me. Looks as if it is going to be an enjoyable day in Capri :)

When taking a tour around Capri by boat, is the Amalfi Coast seen at all? Please excuse my naive-ness, I'm just unfamiliar with the logistics of it all! Lastly, do you know if there are tour boats at the Capri Marina that take small groups around Capri? We have one set for a private tour (Salvatore from Cruise Trip), which is fine, but we like being with other people as well (just not a huge group).

Thanks!

Agree with Euro Cruiser (which is our norm). You would have to check the then current schedules to see if there is even a mid-day fast jetboat/hydrofoil that can get you to Positano (most of the boats from Capri to Positano tend to leave after 3pm). But assuming you can get to Positano then how are you going to get all the way back to Naples. There are some fast boats (some stop at Sorrento) but their frequency is very limited. Hiring a car/driver for a one-way back to Naples will cost you lots of Euros (we are talking well over 100€).\

Personally, we never recommend combining Capri with Positano on a port day. It is just a bit too much (and too far). Can it be done? Sometimes? Should it be done? Probably not.

Hank

Thank you Hank, we have decided not to try to accomplish this! However can anybody help with the following:

When taking a tour around Capri by boat, do you see the Amalfi Coast? Also, do you know if there are tour boats at the Capri Marina that take small groups around Capri? We have one set for a 2 hour private tour (Salvatore from Cruise Trip), which is fine, but we like being with other people as well (just not a huge group).

Thanks!

Cruisemom, you're 100% correct! Thank you for explaining this to me. Looks as if it is going to be an enjoyable day in Capri :)

When taking a tour around Capri by boat, is the Amalfi Coast seen at all? Please excuse my naive-ness, I'm just unfamiliar with the logistics of it all! Lastly, do you know if there are tour boats at the Capri Marina that take small groups around Capri? We have one set for a private tour (Salvatore from Cruise Trip), which is fine, but we like being with other people as well (just not a huge group).

Thanks!

This company may have something you are interested in:

http://www.caprirelaxboats.com/en/rates

When taking a tour around Capri by boat, is the Amalfi Coast seen at all?
No. The Amalfi coast is much to far away to be seen from Capri, even from a boat a mile or two off the coast of the island. You can see the point of the Sorrentine peninsula on a clear day, but not in any detail.

• 2 weeks later...

We were thinking to take the ferry from naples to capri. Walk around capri for a couple of hours the take the ferry to sorrento. Then either hire a driver to take us to positano and maybe just a little sightseeing on the coast after positano and then have the driver take us back to the ship in naples. Does this sound doable?

We were thinking to take the ferry from naples to capri. Walk around capri for a couple of hours the take the ferry to sorrento. Then either hire a driver to take us to positano and maybe just a little sightseeing on the coast after positano and then have the driver take us back to the ship in naples. Does this sound doable?

If you want to go to Positano just take a ferry there rather than to Sorrento. Getting from Sorrento to Positano by land takes a lot of time and there aren't enough water options to fit with this tight of a schedule.

There are ferries from Capri to Positano at 11:40 AM and 12 PM, which take about a half hour.

The issue is always getting back to the ship on time. You can travel by water but the last return that gets you back safely leaves Sorrento too early for your schedule, so you'd probably need to arrange a car service to drive you back from Positano to Naples.

Euro cruiser:

I am confused. I thought from capri there is a ferry to Sorrento. I did not realize there was a ferry from capri to positano. So you are saying that we should go to capri then ferry to positano then a driver or cab to Sorrento and then a driver or cab back to the port? Does that sound like a better plan?

Thanks for your advice.

There are ferries between Capri and many places along the coast.

You can see the full range here: http://www.capri.net/en/ferry-schedule

I don't think you can spend time in three places in one day, so choose either Positano or Sorrento but not both.

If you choose Sorrento you can simply take a ferry back to Naples.

If you choose Positano you'll need a driver, or else you'd wind up with a ridiculously short stop in Positano (because you'd need to leave early to get to Sorrento to get either a ferry or a train back to Naples).

To sum up, either:

1) Naples - Capri - Sorrento - Naples (all via ferries)

2) Naples - Capri - Positano (all via ferries), followed by a car service to return you to Naples.

Edited by euro cruiser

Ok. I am changing the subject for now.

I am trying to get tickets to the Accedemia to see the David in Florence. I was told by a few people and also people on the board that we can reserve a time but not pay on line. I am having a very difficult time finding the site that I don't have to put a credit card in.

Any advice? I tried calling the phone # but that seemed like a problem also. I bought an international calling card and when I called the number I only was able to get an Italian recording. I am getting very frustrated with this.

I am not used to international travel and I am finding things a little difficult.

Thanks for any advice.

Leslie

If you make the reservation on line you pay the fee. If you make it by phone you do not.

Contact informatino here: http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it/en/musei/info/?m=accademia

I know it's a little frustrating getting used to dealing in a different country and culture but it's worth it in the end.

Edited by euro cruiser