LaSpezia to Florence

lalaAnne

Any ideas of the best way to get there. Don't most people go to Florence when docked in LaSpezia? Nobody on my roll call discussed this. I would love to share transportation.

How do I leave the area without seeing the DAVID? But is it worth at least 3 or more ours to get there and back?

Leslie

I believe that most people will agree that Florence is a bit far for LaSpezia. Most people will do Pisa or Cinque Terre. Having been to Florence, Pisa and Cinque Terre I would personal recommend Cinque Terre. It was the most beautiful of the 3 places and it's only about 15 minutes on train so you don't waist time traveling. However if your heart is really set on Florence don't skip it and regret it.

Any ideas of the best way to get there. Don't most people go to Florence when docked in LaSpezia? Nobody on my roll call discussed this. I would love to share transportation.

How do I leave the area without seeing the DAVID? But is it worth at least 3 or more ours to get there and back?

Leslie

The answers to this might depend on your ships itinerary, specifically how long you have. Also, if your ship offers a tour like "Florence on your own", then that probably includes transportation to/from Florence. With respect to seeing the David ... the time required will depend on whether or not you want to see the original (in a museum), or if a replica out in the courtyard will do ... there is lots to see in Florence so the length of time you spend there will definitely impact your enjoyment

The ship leavves the port at 8:30 pm but we would want to be back on by 7ish. I did hear great things about cinque terre but people rave about the david. I would be going to the museum to see the original. So I am now very confused.

The ship does offer florence on your own but it is so expensive.

I think we can help by posting some facts. If you rent a car, hire a car/driver, or take a tour that uses a bus it will take nearly 2 hours (each way to Florence). Trains also take about 2 hours and have somewhat limited service (about 1 train an hour). So either way, you are looking at 4 hours of transportation (plus waiting time) to get to an from Florence. Your particular port is perfectly located for those that choose to visit 1 or more villages of Cinque Terre...and this would be our recommendation.

Hank

I heard from another fellow passenger on my ship that we take the train there and then hop from villge to village on the train. Is that the best way?

Yes, especially if the ferries aren't running. If they are, that's another great way to go from village to village (except Corniglia, which is another matter entirely). Rick Steves has an excellent Cinque Terre guidebook which you will find very helpful.

Try share a shore excursion dot com , we did this and had a fabulous time and a great guide. Someone might have already be seeking others to join them, if not start your own tour and post it on your Roll Call it hopes that others can/will share the excursion to defer the costs. We were picked up in a very nice Mercedes Van and was able to find 3 other couples to join us. The drive was nice as the guide had a microphone w/ speakers that went through the van etc.

We did Pisa and then Florence and back to the ship in plenty of time. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Kerry

Thanks for the great suggestion. I have put out a post to share. I will look into that website. But as much as I want to see the David and go to florence, I am now very excited to go the cinque terre. I found a boat tour that sounds great.

You won't regret your decision. As I mentioned before I have been to Florence and Cinque Terre before. I always regretted not seeing the David when I was there however we will be in La Spezia in a few weeks and I will be returning to Cinque Terre instead of going back to Florence for the David.

Thanks hank. We have decided to skip Florence and go to cinque. I heard from another fellow passenger on my ship that we take the train there and then hop from villge to village on the train. Is that the best way?

Agree with the other posters that it helps to have a decent guide book (like Rick Steves). The closest village to La Spezia is Riomaggiore where you can get off the train and browse the village. There is also a tourist office where you can get some free info and check both boat and train schedules. Doing all 5 villages in a port day is a bit difficult and not always a great idea. But 2 or 3 villages make a nice day and you can use either the ferry boats and/or trains to move between villages. There are also hiking trails between the villages which vary as to distance and difficulty. Unfortunately, the easiest and most popular walk (from Riomaggiore to Manarola) has been closed for four years due to rock/mud slides. It this walk (sometimes called the "Lovers Walk") does re-open before your visit it is highly recommended by moi.

Hank

Hi Hank:

You seem very knowlegeable. We decided to take a boat tour by a company named Angelos boat tours. I have sent them several e mails and we have tried calling and cant get through. They have not responded to our e-mails Another couple on our cruise has been trying as well. They got rave reviews. Do you happen to have any clue about them? The other couple tried another boat tour company and they are booked. Our cruise is in less then two weeks away and have no resolve on this. Any input might be helpful.

Leslie

Hi Hank:

You seem very knowlegeable. We decided to take a boat tour by a company named Angelos boat tours. I have sent them several e mails and we have tried calling and cant get through. They have not responded to our e-mails Another couple on our cruise has been trying as well. They got rave reviews. Do you happen to have any clue about them? The other couple tried another boat tour company and they are booked. Our cruise is in less then two weeks away and have no resolve on this. Any input might be helpful.

Leslie

Doesn't that stuff just drive you nutz? We seldom take tours and cannot help you with this company. But having no response is not unusual in Italy. It can mean they changed their e-mail address or perhaps went away on "holiday" and are not checking their e-mails.

So here is what we would do. We noticed that the same folks also own and operate the nearby Vila Valentina (in Levanto) which is likely open for business. So we would e-mail or call the Villa to see why they are not responding to your boat tour inquiry. They list 3 phone numbers"

+39 333 318 2967 or

+39 331 237 1878 (Paula)

+39 339 314 0582 (Angelo)

so you could even call Angelo himself :). DIY traveling sometimes means going outside the norm to get results.

Hank

Hi Hank:

Leslie

I'm also looking do something from La Spezia and have found a company called Papillon today.I am on the Allure from 1st - 8th October.. are you on the same voyage? I'd be interested in trying to join a group to do the Cinque Terre somehow!

Is anybody interested in sharing a rented boat with a captain that leaves from one of the villages in Cinque Terre and takes us around to all the villages. We basically tell him what we want to do and when to stop and what villages we want to go to. It sounds really nice. We have four people and are looking for a few more. The cost is $80 per hour for the boat and captain. They recommend about 3-4 hours would be good. The company is called cinqueterredalmare. If anybody is interested please respond to this asap. Thanks. Leslie

Is anybody interested in sharing a rented boat with a captain that leaves from one of the villages in Cinque Terre and takes us around to all the villages. We basically tell him what we want to do and when to stop and what villages we want to go to. It sounds really nice. We have four people and are looking for a few more. The cost is $80 per hour for the boat and captain. They recommend about 3-4 hours would be good. The company is called cinqueterredalmare. If anybody is interested please respond to this asap. Thanks. Leslie

What date?