Ship's tour of Capri

Scarborofair

Hi, sailing on the Vision of the Seas soon and wondering if anyone has done the ship's tour "On Your Own" for the island of Capri. It sails the Amalfi coast past Sorrento before dropping you off on Capri for 5+ hours to explore. From what I understand from the hydrofoil, you can not see the Amalfi coast from the boat as it is direct to the island. If anyone has any other suggestions, please advise. Thanks.

Hi, sailing on the Vision of the Seas soon and wondering if anyone has done the ship's tour "On Your Own" for the island of Capri. It sails the Amalfi coast past Sorrento before dropping you off on Capri for 5+ hours to explore. From what I understand from the hydrofoil, you can not see the Amalfi coast from the boat as it is direct to the island. If anyone has any other suggestions, please advise. Thanks.

And you really will not see the Amalfi Coast on the tour. The actual famous Amalfi Coast does not start until after Sorrento and is not on the route to Capri. You would get to see some of the Sorrentine Peninsula which they might try to pass-off as the Amalfi Coast...but this is mere deception. Actually, most of the tours we have seen use the same boats (and routes) as the normal ferries. You might want to compare prices. If you simply buy your own tickets at the ferry terminal the round trip cost to Capri (from Naples) will be approximately 40€. Once on Capri (you arrive at Marina Grande) you will probably want to use the cable car which will cost extra money.

Hank

Yes, we were there in April and took the ferry from Sorrento to Capri at about 9:30 AM, We bought our return ticket in Sorrento because we had to be on the approx. 1:30 ferry back as our last tender was 4:30 and the next ferry arrived after that. We walked up the steps to Capri town -- did it 10 years ago and it was no great effort if you are in shape. It took roughly 20 minutes. From the town we took the footpath to the ruins of Villa Jovis -- marvelous views to Sorrento and back toward Anacapri.ImageUploadedByForums1441319275.631925.jpg.2852f744985fbe95180a725fbe46e314.jpg

Is your port Naples? We recently stayed in Naples for 3 days and did a wonderful private day tour of Capri with http://www.toursofcapri.com We were staying at the waterfront so just took a cab to Molo Bevellero (the cruise port) where our guide met us to start the tour. We saw a lot of people getting off Allure, etc. We had an amazing day in Capri and the guide took care of everything for us. While its not cheap, it does include all the tickets for the ferry, Blue Grotto, chairlift, etc. and its so easy, just follow the guide and you can concentrate on having a good time while he/she takes care of the logistics. Capri is amazing, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

ETA: Another option is to do a full day day trip visiting various towns along the Amalfi Coast which we also did. We booked through http://www.viator.com and although it was supposed to be a small group tour (max 8 people), there was no one else so de facto it turned into a private day trip. We visited Sorrento, Positano, Ravello and Amalfi. It was a great day trip and again I'd highly recommend. We were fortunate enough to have sufficient time to visit both Capri and Amalfi Coast on separate days, but if you only have one option, I'd go with whatever you have been wanting to see most. Both options are terrific.

Edited by Baby_Bear

Depending on how many of you there are, why not get a private tour and arrange everything u want to do. More bang for the buck!! I've used joe banana limos and really like them. They are highly recommended on cruise critic.

I'm thinking of doing the italytoursharing.com tour to the blue grotto and Capri. It looks wonderful. But I would post on my roll call to get a full tour ( less cost) usually 8 people.