Princess Rail Service

Karen Lynn

Really stuck on Cruise Tours.

Would like the itinerary that has the train to the ship in Whittier post land tour...and 7 night land / 7 night cruise. But really want to see Copper River and would have to drop to 6 night land and lose Copper River. Looks like too much Fairbanks!

So- I notice there is the train from Mt McKinley to Talkeetna approx 4 hours..anyone done both? Wondering if 'it's enough' or a real loss?

:confused::confused:

What about skipping the pre-packaged cruisetour and putting together your own trip using a rental car? You could include the the Copper River area or any place else you want to see. Return the car in Anchorage and then take the train to Whittier for your cruise.

Thought of that...it didn't go over big!

:cool:

Why would anyone- compromise so severely? You have stated where you want to go- Copper River area- (this is a place I am never without a car, however). You state- too much time in Fairbanks- so apparently you have determined, your interest isn't there.

AND lastly- it's YOUR trip- why the deference? Do those "others" have any clue what they are doing? Or know the details of the lacking choices they are making?

I'm assuming your question on the train- is from the Denali Princess to the McKinley Princess? This section mostly parallels the Parks Highway- so no advantage scenery wise.

I'm sure you have done a lot of reading, get those others to do so as well. See if they want to be point to point with group travel, severely limited in their choices and seeing and doing the least?

Anyone open to going independent- you see nothing but RAVES about their experience. With cruisetours- you can find some similar reports- but there are a fair number who state the "next" time they would go independent. I am never one to advocate any practice trips. :)

Our first Alaska trip was northbound Vancouver to Whittier followed by 3 night DIY land trip that focused on Seward, Turnagain Arm, and the Matanuska valley area. Our 2016 trip focuses on Denali, the train ride, and Anchorage museums. We will be doing cruisetour DB4 (full day in Denali National Park) with an extra night in Anchorage and 2 nights in Vancouver.

We know the limitations of group tours but it is a way that we can keep traveling without long drives and hauling luggage. I find that I start out planning trips wanting to do it all then decide on a focal point and everything falls into place.

I think I'm going by Copper River being more of interest than Fairbanks mostly because that's the feedback I have heard.

I have LB7 tour booked at present...

Looking at KB6 although it also doesn't have the train at the end

and

JB6 which does - but I lose a night of the Cruisetour

:confused:

KB6 has the launch from Valdez to the ship. I am really looking forward to that part. And I like the sound of Copper River where we have 2 nights. KB6 doesnt go to Fairbanks but I am ok with that. I think that people do the DIY next time after a landtour because they can pick what they want to do having experienced a taste of everything. That is pretty hard to do before the event when peoples opinions/tastes vary so much.

Edited by Pushka

KB6 has the launch from Valdez to the ship. I am really looking forward to that part. And I like the sound of Copper River where we have 2 nights. KB6 doesnt go to Fairbanks but I am ok with that. I think that people do the DIY next time after a landtour because they can pick what they want to do having experienced a taste of everything. That is pretty hard to do before the event when peoples opinions/tastes vary so much.

Unfortunately the high speed ferry is used on this tour, which is transportation priority based. Superior for scenery, side stops etc is the regular ferry.

Both do have naturalists on board, but with the fast ferry, there has been more general- commentary about Alaska stories, rather than the what is being seen outside on the regular ferry. I've had the opportunity for even a Columbia Glacier look detour, one time. :)

Sure. But given we dont get to the ship until 5pm if it was the normal speed ferry we'd miss the boat! :eek:

Is this the area for a potential for rough seas/sea sickness Budget Queen? We travelled on a ferry in Thailand and my partner was very green - most of the pax were but I just dont get sea sick. Must be my Dad's naval service on a warcraft carrier kicking in.

Edited by Pushka

Sure. But given we dont get to the ship until 5pm if it was the normal speed ferry we'd miss the boat! :eek:

Is this the area for a potential for rough seas/sea sickness Budget Queen? We travelled on a ferry in Thailand and my partner was very green - most of the pax were but I just dont get sea sick. Must be my Dad's naval service on a warcraft carrier kicking in.

You'd make the ship on the regular ferry. :) That leaves in the morning.

This is a beautiful coastal ride. Sure- there probably are people who may be a little ill. :) You are on water. Cruise ships used to sail here when Valdez was on itineraries. Now, they do more open ocean sailing. So the potential for rougher sailing is more likely from the cruise ship. General comment only.

IF they give you time in Valdez- I highly recommend you take a look at their museum- fantastic information about their earthquake and oil spill. Very well done. You can walk to the ferry.

Of course - Valdez and that dreadful oil spill. Thankyou for connecting the dots Budget Queen. What a dreadful time that was.

Just as devastating was the earthquake that wiped out the town and moved it 4 miles away.

Just as devastating was the earthquake that wiped out the town and moved it 4 miles away.

Yes. Somehow man made tragedies always seem so much worse but I guess its because they could have been prevented. I am reading a book on Alaska now - just started the first page yesterday and I think goes into a lot of detail about such tragedies as the earthquakes. 'Alaska Traveller'.