Visa Application

Hastings Spouse

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Well, hate to break the news to you, but you got ripped off. We got ours direct from the Australian government website for about $16 (USD) per person. This was last May for our August trip. It would be cheaper today, as the Australian dollar has slipped since our trip. In May, the price was 20 AUD, which today would be about $14.15, or there about.

Yes, it is very simple to do.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Actually the Australian ETA process has been discussed here many times. Such as:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2261065&highlight=australia+visa

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2218507&highlight=australia+visa

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2068453&highlight=australia+visa

for 3 recent discussions, including one I posted on.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Just a heads up.....I just booked a cruise through a travel agent and they will be filing for our Australian visas which are free to them. Therefore no cost to us. We are in Canada so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Hope it all works, because Princess, for example, used to do this, but Australia has increased the security process on getting the ETA, so Princess stopped doing it.

Just a heads up.....I just booked a cruise through a travel agent and they will be filing for our Australian visas which are free to them. Therefore no cost to us. We are in Canada so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

This was our experience with our TA as well. Possibly because we are also in Canada and part of the Commonwealth.

As I understand it, the AUD$20 online fee is just an online processing fee. The visa (ETA) itself doesn't have a charge associated with it like it does for many other countries.

Perhaps your TA has another method available to them. Or they're just paying the online fee and giving it to you free as a perk. Hard to say. Fortunately it's a pretty nominal charge. Our China visas last year cost $140 for the visa itself + another $35 for 3rd party processing + registered mail costs.

Not the first time I overpaid for something . I only wish you would have put you experience on the forum earlier so that I could have benefitted from your experience

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

No only is the Australian visa discussed on a regular basis on this forum, we've done two cruises to Australia (Honolulu to Sydney and also San Francisco to Sydney), and both times it also was discussed on the roll call for each cruise. We have a third trans-Pacific cruise booked, and I am sure it will again be discussed on that roll call. So another reason to join the roll call for your cruise! Lots of good information on those roll calls.