Options to see local area + beach?

sunbird21

Hi,

I'm going to be on the Dream with my mom,and this is the port that she really wanted to see. I've looked at both Carnivals excursions as well as independent, but having trouble finding exactly what she's looking for. She wants to go to a beach, which I did find Goffs Cay, but she also wants to "see the local area where people live." I haven't seen any city tour/area tour excursions. She wants to do the same thing in Cozumel(don't worry, will post separately there), and I tried to explain that the port area is primarily touristy and we don't really go by the areas where people live. It's only her second cruise though, so I'll cut her some slack LOL! Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Even if there is a city only tour, we can skip the beach here.

Thanks for any/all help,

Stacey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by sunbird21

Most companies in Belize, does the city Tour. I've done a city tour and many other excursions in Belize through waytogotoursbelize.com .

But companies don't combine their beach/cay/snorkel excursions with city tours. If your Mom wants a beach and a city tour, you can catch a taxi to Cucumber Beach and perhaps ask the driver if he'll give you a tour of the city along the way. Or you could take a horse carriage tour of the city come back and grab a taxi to Cucumber Beach. You can google Cucumber Beach/ old Belize and see if it will fit your Mom's desires. It is a manmade lagoon with an outlet tot he sea and used primarily by locals.

• 2 weeks later...

In May we did the Altun Ha ruins and River Wallace through the ship excursions. You see a lot on the way to ruins as it is about a 45 minute ride. The guides are really good and you are there before you know it. After the ruins we stopped for lunch and continued to the river to see howling monkeys and whatever else was on the river for the day. We thoroughly enjoyed this trip. If you go to the ruins area, I would take bug spray.

• 2 weeks later...
In May we did the Altun Ha ruins and River Wallace through the ship excursions. You see a lot on the way to ruins as it is about a 45 minute ride. The guides are really good and you are there before you know it. After the ruins we stopped for lunch and continued to the river to see howling monkeys and whatever else was on the river for the day. We thoroughly enjoyed this trip. If you go to the ruins area, I would take bug spray.

How rough was the ride on the river? Were the seats just wooden bench like? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...