Schiphol Train Ticket Counter: These Cards OK?

syesmar

At the airport, you can purchase tickets using your US credit cards with chip and signature at the ticketing booth - human contact. The kiosks, offering a slightly less costly ticket, require a real chip & pin credit card. If you have one that's capable, use it. I never use a debit card, so can't comment on its ability to work for you.

Darcy

Thanks, WatchHill, for the info!

I want a ticket for the high speed train. Do you know off hand how much the cost difference is between the kiosk and manned ticketing booth?

[i know I can also purchase online in advance and pay the supplement once there (I have enough Euros on hand to do that), but just in case my flight was late and I needed another mode of transport, didn't want to do that and risk losing the ticket.]

THANKS!

Thanks, WatchHill, for the info!

I want a ticket for the high speed train. Do you know off hand how much the cost difference is between the kiosk and manned ticketing booth?

[i know I can also purchase online in advance and pay the supplement once there (I have enough Euros on hand to do that), but just in case my flight was late and I needed another mode of transport, didn't want to do that and risk losing the ticket.]

THANKS!

I've never used the high speed to Rotterdam - rented a car and drove instead. If memory is working, there is minimal difference in cost heading into Amsterdam - obviously Rotterdam will be more Euros.

Darcy

http://www.seat61.com/international-trains/trains-from-Amsterdam.htm#Amsterdam-Netherlands

• You can easily buy tickets at the station using the yellow self-service machines. These are really easy to use, they have a touch screen with an English language button, and sell one-way or return tickets. You can pay with coins or (for €0.50 extra) MasterCard & Visa. Thankfully, Dutch ticket machines now [take] all accepted credit cards as of 2014.

• Alternatively, most stations of any size have a staffed ticket counter, which also now accept MasterCard and Visa (€0.50 extra) as well as cash, but you'll pay an extra €0.50 to buy from a person rather than a machine.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the feedback. I wanted to report back on how it went.

Instead of buying at the manned counter, I went to the self-service machines at Schiphol and attempted to use my Chip & Signature MasterCard to see if it worked with my ATM PIN but it was rejected as expected. I had my Chip & PIN Visa Debit Card, however, which was accepted with no problems.

I waited to purchase return tickets from Rotterdam "just in case" (btw: for the first time in all my sailings, disembarkation started about 15 min late, but it wasn't an issue for us as we had plenty of time and they caught the schedule up) and intended to use cash for the journey. Although I was advised of this above, I forgot I needed coins in the self-service machine, so I just used the Debit Card again with no problems.

I am glad I took the Debit Card with me and also that I had some Euros (in Portugal, the self-service machines wouldn't take US cards).

I had taken the schedule of our train options and everything went smoothly for us.

Happy Travels!

Edited by syesmar