Tokyo plus 9 night cruise

guineapig

Well here goes, first visit to Japan coming up in August 2016 on Diamond Princess, booked 3 nights in Tokyo with one day trip to Mt Fuji on bullet train. On our cruise we will visit Shimizu,Kumano just for the fireworks I think, cruising the Inland Sea of Japan, Beppu, Kagoshima and Nagoya in Japan plus Busan South Korea.

What I would like to know what are best ways to see the sights in Tokyo, like historic or nature rather than shopping, plus any insider tips. We are staying at the New Otani Hotel in Chiyoda Tokyo and cruising the other places.

We are English and don't speak any Japanese, the thought of the subway sends shivers down my spine. What are the best things to visit?

We are in our early sixties cannot walk long distances though but have traveled to many other countries before.

Any feed back gratefully received. Thank you.

Please don't worry about the subway, just use it after about 10am and it is calm and you won't be squeezed onto a carriage! The signs are in English. You can pick up a subway map at several stations which includes tourist info.

There are some beautiful parks in Tokyo and the fish market is really interesting too.

Your hotel concierge will give you maps and tourist info too.

Lots of English speaking Japanese people will help you if you are lost.

Why not go to an act of the opera one night? You need to queue for tickets in advance but it is a unique experience. I have written the name of the theatre in my holidays diary so if you want that info please ask.

I did the diamond cruise in 2014 plus time in Tokyo after the cruise was disrupted by typhoons. I think it was my favourite ever cruise. You will fall in love with Japan. The scenery, the people, the food. I'd do it all again any day, just a shame it is so far away.

Add any questions if you need more info. I may add more once I check my diary, guineapig.

Well here goes, first visit to Japan coming up in August 2016 on Diamond Princess, booked 3 nights in Tokyo with one day trip to Mt Fuji on bullet train. On our cruise we will visit Shimizu,Kumano just for the fireworks I think, cruising the Inland Sea of Japan, Beppu, Kagoshima and Nagoya in Japan plus Busan South Korea.

What I would like to know what are best ways to see the sights in Tokyo, like historic or nature rather than shopping, plus any insider tips. We are staying at the New Otani Hotel in Chiyoda Tokyo and cruising the other places.

We are English and don't speak any Japanese, the thought of the subway sends shivers down my spine. What are the best things to visit?

We are in our early sixties cannot walk long distances though but have traveled to many other countries before.

We had a wonderful time in Japan last year (October). We flew into Tokyo eight days before our Celebrity Millennium cruise on 25 October.

Our cruise was called Japan and China, with ports in Japan, Shanghai, Okinawa, Taiwan, ending in Hong Kong.

Here is my review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=518503&et_cid=2531924&et_rid=17221689&et_referrer=Boards

Japan is one of our favorite countries. We loved the country and its wonderful people.

The country is very tidy and clean with no graffiti. Crime is very low. Everyone dresses nice, no slovenly or crude attire.

In fact, Japan is the opposite of crude. The people are polite and go out of their way to be helpful.

Japan is not as expensive as we expected. In fact, we found it cheaper than the UK.

Definitely go to Kyoto for a couple of days, it is fantastic. Kyoto was the ancient capitol of the county and not bombed in WWII. If you are in Tokyo, I suggest at least 3-4 days there.

Highly recommend a tour company called JTB Sunrise. We booked tours through Viator and they were all excellent. Recommend a tour to Nikko, another to Kamakura. Also, there is a great tour for your first full day in Tokyo called the Panorama Tokyo which visits the main sites. Yes, you can do it on the subway, but with a tour you save time and have a tour guide to explain.

My review provided details.

We stayed at a great hotel next to Tokyo Station (Hotel Metropolitan Marinucci). We took the Narita Express trail from Narita airport directly to Tokyo Station and walked to our hotel, saving an expensive taxi.

Well here goes, first visit to Japan coming up in August 2016 on Diamond Princess, booked 3 nights in Tokyo with one day trip to Mt Fuji on bullet train. What I would like to know what are best ways to see the sights in Tokyo, like historic or nature rather than shopping, plus any insider tips. We are staying at the New Otani Hotel in Chiyoda Tokyo and cruising the other places.

If it's any help or interest I went to Japan in 2012 on a gardens and temples tours, based in Kyoto and Tokyo and made videos of each day which can be views from this

As I was part of a guided tour we had our hands held every step of the way but the Japanese are so polite and helpful that I'm sure you will get around just fine. I really enjoyed the Fuji day (hope you have a lovely clear day like I did) and also Kamakura and Nara, but the whole trip was great. All the best, Tony

Check out the goodwill guides. They are english speaking Japanese, often students studying English and are happy to show you around their city.

The only cost involved is transport and meals for the guide while he/she is with you. We now don't bother as I am familiar enough with Japan and getting around DIY is a challenge I love but in the early days the guides were great and I would recommend them to all first time visitors to Japan.

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/arrange/travel/guide/list_volunteerGuides.php You do need to book ahead.

Edited by Tara Jane