What to do in Kuala Lumpur for the day??

Kiwi_cruiser

We are going to Kuala Lumpur (Port Kelang), Malaysia on the Sun Princess and we have never been there before.

I know Kuala Lumpur is quite a big and busy city... (From photos/Video I have seen on the internet).

So I was wondering what is their not to miss in Kuala Lumpur?? & what would you recommend doing here for the day??

Is there any private tour company's you would recommend??

Any ideas / suggestions are very welcome :)

We could go to KUL for a day or two and then on to SIN. Never been to Kuala Lampur but have been to Singapore. K is definitely cheaper than Singapore but enough to do and easy to get to Singapore on train? flight?

Should we add 2 days KUL or spend our time in Singapore before cruise?.

We took a Viator tour from Singapore to Malaysia that included two days, one night (in Malaca) ending in Kuala Lumpur. We booked a nice hotel on our on. The tour provided us with a tour of the city. It included a museum, and several other places in the city like the Royal Palace. The city is not a must see in my opinion. However, the lunch that we had as well as dinner on the tour was fantastic. The food in Malaysia is great.

We took a Viator tour from Singapore to Malaysia that included two days, one night (in Malaca) ending in Kuala Lumpur. We booked a nice hotel on our on. The tour provided us with a tour of the city. It included a museum, and several other places in the city like the Royal Palace. The city is not a must see in my opinion. However, the lunch that we had as well as dinner on the tour was fantastic. The food in Malaysia is great.

Thanks!

We pre-booked a taxi to meet us at Port Kelang (4 people sharing). The driver spoke a little English, certainly enough to communicate what we wanted to do plus some basic explanation of what we saw.

We first visited the royal palace on the way to Batu caves. Then on to KL centre - KL Tower (Menara KL), Merdeka Square & Sultan Abdul Samad Building, Royal Selangor Club, Masjid Jamek mosque, St. Mary's Cathedral, (Merdeka Square is where independence was declared in 1957), Central market - established as wet market 1888, Chinatown - Petaling Street (Jalan Petaling), Old Railway Station, Petronas Towers (not in that order).

We had a great day.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Port Kelang for a day and wanted to go to the Batu Caves and then see a bit of Kuala Lampur. We were 3 people and my friend found a driver/guide on line who was excellent. His name was CK and he spoke excellent English. He met us at the port and we went to the Batu Caves, the Kuala Lampur market, saw the Petronas Towers for a photo stop plus a small reconstructed old Malaysian village moved to KL, and a Chines Temple. At our request we went to a batik factory where we purchased a shirt for my husband, gorgeous scarves, and a top for me. They were all printed and made in this factory where we also toured the small artist's workroom. CK said he never suggests shopping and doesn't push things, but we asked and had a fabulous experience. We paid $80 per person for the day plus our own food at the marketplace. I would highly recommend CK and he'll take you where you'd like to go. When we contacted him he sent detailed options that we could choose from. His email is jqsk2004@yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...
We are going to Kuala Lumpur (Port Kelang), Malaysia on the Sun Princess and we have never been there before.

I know Kuala Lumpur is quite a big and busy city... (From photos/Video I have seen on the internet).

So I was wondering what is their not to miss in Kuala Lumpur?? & what would you recommend doing here for the day??

Is there any private tour company's you would recommend??

Any ideas / suggestions are very welcome :)

Port Kelang is actually a bit far from the city centre. I would say that it would take nearly 1 hour ++ to reach Kuala Lumpur Twin Tower. However there are actually plenty of things that can be done in a day.

Check out this for the list of activities that you can do when you are there.

http://www.kualalumpurkids.com/listing/activities

Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi- we are looking at doing a NCL cruise next March/April from Singapore to Dubai and then Dubai to Venice.

We are a little hesitant about the heat issues. Also, if the ship has mostly Asian passengers will all the food be Asian??

Any help, thoughts or cautions??

Thanks, Terri

Hi- we are looking at doing a NCL cruise next March/April from Singapore to Dubai and then Dubai to Venice.

We are a little hesitant about the heat issues. Also, if the ship has mostly Asian passengers will all the food be Asian??

Any help, thoughts or cautions??

Thanks, Terri

Hi Terri,

I am booked on the same two cruises you're thinking of. There is a roll call for each. You may want to repost on each of those roll calls.

Because I have not sailed on NCL since 1999, I have no idea what to expect, but the itineraries and prices are so good that I am willing to put aside my reservation about the heat--and I do have several health challenges. I don't know that the passengers will be "mostly Asian," but you may want to ask about the food on the "Cruises Foodies" section of "Cruise Conversations" (directly below "Ports of Call").

Hope this helps--and hope to meet you aboard or on a tour!

Deb

Thank You everyone for there replays and information :)

We never did get to Kuala Lumpur as our ship had a problem with its engines and we had to miss Kuala Lumpur :(

Hopefully one day we will get to visit Kuala Lumpur :)