Global Entry available for entering Canada

phoenix_dream

We have Global Entry cards, which I know we can use upon returning to the US after our cruise at the Vancouver airport (at least according to what I have read).

What I am unclear about is, is there a Global Entry line we can use when entering Canada in the first place (which would be from the US as this is an Alaska sailing)? Their website talks about a Nexus card, but does not mention Global Entry. Help - I'm confused:)

There is not a GE or NEXUS lane entering by sea at Vancouver. You'll receive a form to fill out before you leave the ship, and there will be one of two setups - either a discussion with a CSBA agent just off the gangway and then collection of your declaration forms after you pick up checked baggage, or an all-in-one process at the end. (I've had both in recent sailings).

Your NEXUS card or passport number are electronically presented to CBSA in advance of the ship's arrival at the pier.

Honestly, for US and Canadian nationals, it's been one of the fastest and easiest entry processes I've experienced.

For entering Canada at the airport, there is *not* a benefit to Global Entry. Expedited entry benefits are only extended to NEXUS program members as they've been screened and interviewed by CBSA.

Further, GE doesn't currently help with the preadmission screening conducted at Canada Place as you board cruises where the first stop is an Alaskan port.

Many of us who live close to the border and cross the border frequently are enrolled in the NEXUS program. However, with the new passport scanners at YVR NEXUS really don't save much, if any, time. The real savings is the time spent at land crossings where there are dedicated lanes for NEXUS members.

Yup - both VG & PD make very relevant points. GE is a US program so only works for entering the US; NEXUS is joint so works coming in to either country (and those dedicated lanes are definitely the primary benefit - especially entering the USA, since not being Americans they don't worry about us declaring goods as much, we have been simply waved on without even speaking to the agent more than once).

While the scanners do mean minimal extra time saved with a TT program compared to regular passport, the shorter security queue is VERY worthwhile to have when YVR is remotely busy - it's been at least three trips since I actually had to even stop walking from arriving at the airport right up the the security scanner belt, and the biggest delay was me getting my wallet/keys etc organised! Meanwhile the Regular Joe queue had dozens of people waiting.

Where does the Enhanced Driver’s license fit into the mix? When I got my Washington Enhanced Driver’s license that it could be used to cross the border into Canada and I wouldn’t need my passport or did the state employee not know what she was talking about. I just got another ID, a transportation worker identification card or TWIC, so I can do my volunteer work with the port authority. Sometimes I have to carry all of them because one agency doesn't recognize one or the other.

Basically the EDL can be used at land crossings and sea port entries and takes the place of a passport at this type of crossing. However you may not use the dedicated lanes that NEXUS enrollees may use. Here is a link that should help you:

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

EDL will let you in to Canada by ground or sea, but not into the NEXUS lane. Coming back, if everyone in the vehicle has EDL, passport *card*, NEXUS, Global Entry or some more obscure products, you can use the Ready Lane, which isn't as fast as NEXUS but does speed the crossing for motorists.