Geiranger for a "not so young" couple :)

My parents will be in Geiranger next May, aboard NCL Star, 7-17h

Unfortunately my father have heart problems, so he can't walk a long way during a long time because he gets really tired and can't recover easily, so we want to keep the tours simple and easy.

I have everything planned for them regarding to the other stops: Alesund (little train tour), Flam (Flam Railway), Bergen (funicular and the fish market)

...But have no idea what to plan for Geiranger...Maybe I'm wrong,it seems to me that they have to hike to see something worth and the town have nothing to see besides the (beautifull) landscape

I was thinking about one bus tour, but I'm afraid that it's maybe boring to stay 2 hours inside a bus. The tour is this one:

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/panoramic-bus-geiranger-2

What is your opinion?

Thank You :)

You might consider a tour of the fjord. Small boat tours are available with both inside and outside seating, good restrooms, reasonable accessibility. The boat tour we chose was stable and would be good for a person with more limited mobility and/or stamina. Our tour length was 90 minutes and was enough time to get close to shore to view waterfalls and historic small farmsteads. There are other tour companies, but this is a boat I would recommend for your situation.

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/geirangerfjord-sightseeing-5

When we went in 2013, loads of us on the roll call booked this trip

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/bus-tour-to-mt-dalsnibba (same firm as yours). We had a photo stop on the way up and about 15 minutes at Mt. Dalsnibba...though you couldn't see your hand in front of your face due to low cloud!!, but hope you have better weather. You pick your tickets up at the tourist office at the end of the pier and get the bus about 100 metres away. I thought it was good value.

Simon

another vote for the mountain bus trip

end of May last year the road up to Mt Dalsnibba was closed due to snow!

As an alternative they added on a trip to a village and lake as well as the viewpoints included in the HOHO bus tour[2 stops!]

my husband has walking difficulties so we picked that tour to minimise walking-2 hours on bus will fly as the scenery is spectacular and opportunities to get out at viewpoints

book online beforehand as it was sold out on the day

The fjord boat ride was quite nice - very easy going and relaxing. But - it is just more fjord. More scenery. Can get a bit boring. I think the busride up to Mt Dalsnibba would have been much better but I was on the same cruise as fabnfortysomething so we decided to give it a pass.

I'm envious; this was one of my favorite cruises. If you're interested, this was a time lapse I did as we left Geirangerfjord:

[YOUTUBE]WuPiMKu8fgg[/YOUTUBE]

hello again!

My parents decided to do the Bus Tour to 2 viewpoints ;)

From your experience, do you think that they will have motion sickness considering the twists and turns?:rolleyes:

Thank you

Edited by framboesa

Agreed. They would have to be very easily upset to be affected by the journey. I think on the trip to Mt Dalsnibba there were 36 hairpins up...and of course, 36 back down again...and no one on our bus was 'ill'.

Simon

My parents will be in Geiranger next May, aboard NCL Star, 7-17h

Unfortunately my father have heart problems, so he can't walk a long way during a long time because he gets really tired and can't recover easily, so we want to keep the tours simple and easy.

I have everything planned for them regarding to the other stops: Alesund (little train tour), Flam (Flam Railway), Bergen (funicular and the fish market)

...But have no idea what to plan for Geiranger...Maybe I'm wrong,it seems to me that they have to hike to see something worth and the town have nothing to see besides the (beautifull) landscape

I was thinking about one bus tour, but I'm afraid that it's maybe boring to stay 2 hours inside a bus. The tour is this one:

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/panoramic-bus-geiranger-2

What is your opinion?

Thank You :)

We went last year and did both HOHO buses and the Geiranger small ship trip into the fjord. All of them are very easy to do physically. I get motion sickness easily and had no problems on the bus or boat. The view from Mt. Dalsnibba was cloudy, but on the way up you get some great views. We also enjoyed the bus to Eagle Bend.