For those travelling to Bayonne NJ for the Anthem

DJLDRUMS

Live in northern NJ and commuted daily to Bridgeport Ct for quite a while. Can only tell you that there is no "best way". Traffic can vary greatly by day and you need to closely monitor traffic reports and apps like waze. Maybe you'll be lucky and traffic will be lighter than usual due to summer vacations, but from Fairfield Ct on south everyone will be headed towards Manhattan and traffic will only build. I'd recommend cutting across I287 in Westchester to the Tappan Zee. It's a few miles more but much less congested. Once across the bridge you can cut down either the Palisades parkway or the GSP and be at the port in a little over an hour.

Hello Baileymouse, I just returned from Triple A and got a map and Trip Tik. They recommend using the Tappan Zee bridge take exit 14A for the Garden State Pkwy, continue for 11 miles. Take exit 163 for State route 17 toward State route 4/Paramus/GW Bridge merge onto NJ 17S for 4 miles. Take exit on left onto I 80E toward NY drive for 3 miles Take I 95S, continue on Exit 16W foloow signs for Rutherford and merge into I 95S for 2 miles. Follow signs for EZPass Toll Roll for 8 miles. Continue on I 95S. Take exit 14-14A B-14 C for I 78 US-1/US-9/US-22 Newark airport/Holland Tunnell for a mile. Keep left at the fork to continue on Exits 14A-14B-14C follow signs for I 78E Jersey City/Holland Tunnel/Bayonne and merge into I 78E. Take exit 14A toward Bayonne, slight right onto Ave.E and stay on Avenue E. Turn left onto E Center St. continue onto Chosin Wa, left on Goldsborough Dr. continue straight to Port Terminal Blvd. Man that's a lot of turns ! Does any of it sound like the way you'd go ? Thanks,

Folks. 138 East has given you the best driving advice based on her personal driving experience for several years driving from Boston area to Bayonne combined with advice from Bayonne residents from CC. . . but you would rather follow AAA. . .Good Luck.

138 East thank you for your thoughts. We really don't have any reason to do an overnight stay. Baileymouse a local from Bayonne that drives north and south from there has an excellent thought. With a large group that we're travelling with I just don't see using rail or light rail as an alternative.

Here's one for you all...I called Academy Bus Lines and inquired about their service from Anderson Transportation Center in Woburn where I read it was cancelled. The woman who answered my inquiry in a gruff voice told me that "we have nothing to do with Royal Caribbean transportation anymore" I asked why ? Her reply was "call them and ask them why" Now if that doesn't say something..about their partnership or what !

Hello Baileymouse, I just returned from Triple A and got a map and Trip Tik. They recommend using the Tappan Zee bridge take exit 14A for the Garden State Pkwy, continue for 11 miles. Take exit 163 for State route 17 toward State route 4/Paramus/GW Bridge merge onto NJ 17S for 4 miles. Take exit on left onto I 80E toward NY drive for 3 miles Take I 95S, continue on Exit 16W foloow signs for Rutherford and merge into I 95S for 2 miles. Follow signs for EZPass Toll Roll for 8 miles. Continue on I 95S. Take exit 14-14A B-14 C for I 78 US-1/US-9/US-22 Newark airport/Holland Tunnell for a mile. Keep left at the fork to continue on Exits 14A-14B-14C follow signs for I 78E Jersey City/Holland Tunnel/Bayonne and merge into I 78E. Take exit 14A toward Bayonne, slight right onto Ave.E and stay on Avenue E. Turn left onto E Center St. continue onto Chosin Wa, left on Goldsborough Dr. continue straight to Port Terminal Blvd. Man that's a lot of turns ! Does any of it sound like the way you'd go ? Thanks,

Sounds right. It's keeping you off Route 440 in Bayonne and putting you on the quiet streets leading right into the cruise port area. I go that way when I'm going to the shopping plazas on Route 440 since it's much quicker.

Another alternate route: Follow directions above to the Garden State Parkway. Stay on the Parkway to exit 142 to 78 East. 78 East runs into the Newark Bay Extension (turnpike exits 14 A- B- C). You stay to the NJ Turnpike toll plaza to go straight over the extension, get off at 14A in Bayonne, and follow the rest of your directions above.

Edited by baileymouse

Another vote for the Tappen Zee to GSP to 78 East.

Went that way from NW CT and fairly easy.

Not the fastest, but easier on the nerves.

We will be on the Anthem Sept 3 - Labor day weekend. Plan to get over the Tappen Zee around noon Friday and stay in Nanuet NY then go down the GSP to the port Sat morning. We could do it the morning of, but don't trust the traffic situation on a holiday weekend.

Does that sound reasonable? Suggestions?