Divi Bay vs Le Galion??

pjfnme

We will be in St Martin in August from 9am until 6pm and want to do a relaxing beach day with a little time for some shopping in Philipsburg before returning to the ship. I absolutely LOVE beaches with flat water or at least minimal surf, so that I can just float around and nap. I have read a lot about Le Galion and would really love to go there but, I am a "nervous Nellie" about not being able to make it back to the ship on time. I have heard some stories about it being difficult to get a taxi to pick you up in a timely manner from Le Galion as well as potential for traffic problems on the way back to the ship and this has made me second guess my decision to go there.

My second choice is Divi Bay. My DH likes it as it is close to the ship and has amenities but, I'm not sure about the water. I understand that weather conditions can affect the surf but, how is it normally? The last time we were in St Martin we did an excursion and went to Pinnel Island...it was really nice but, I don't like going on the ship excursions and I have had a hard time finding recommended excursion companies on the island (who will guarantee to have you back in time). With all that said, what would be your recommendations? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by pjfnme

Sounds to me like you might enjoy Le Galion a little more. Traffic could be an issue with either Divi or Le Galion and I would call that a draw between them. Divi probably would have more surf but it normally is not rough - and Little Bay gets deep much quicker than Le Galion which is shallow for a long way out. Of course, it is hurricane season and you never can be sure of what you will get weather wise. Divi has snorkeling and Le Galion essentially has none.

On the taxi back, you just need to try to make sure that you feel that driver taking you will either be there or get someone else to show up - you do need to leave some time in case you are stood up but you want time to get back to town for shopping anyway, so maybe you just risk losing some shopping time. If you have a phone that you can bring with you to use in emergency, get the driver's phone number and that should help. Always remember though to keep your belongings secure. Le Galion is one of the worst beaches for petty theft.

One concern I have about recommending Le Galion in the low season (especially late August and September) is that I am never quite sure if Pat will have Tropical Wave up and running. He says that it is closed on Mondays and open other days, but sometimes they are closed more than just Monday (especially weekdays) when things are really slow. I would suggest emailing him at tropicalwavepat at gmail dot com and asking him whether he thinks Tropical Wave will be open and operating on day that you are there. Pat is a good guy and if he says he will be open, then I think you can count on it. Plus, if he is there and in the mood, he is a fascinating person to get talking about the island.

Thanks so much for the reply. We will actually be there on Monday, August 1 so, I am thinking that will rule out Galion as nothing will be open. My DH is now wondering if we should just do an excursion and forget about going to the beach ourselves (he can never make up his mind, lol). But, I suppose if we do one we will just end up at Divi.

I find LeGalion can get very busy with kids in the afternoons in the summer. Camps take kids and so do parents. We have seen 100 plus kids down past where the umbrella rentals are though. Totally different beach when the kids are I school though.

I haven't been to Le Galion yet (plan to try to go there maybe the next time we are in St Maarten), but I recently went to Divi and we liked it there. I have a complete review with TONS of pictures in my signature line if you are interested. :)

I find LeGalion can get very busy with kids in the afternoons in the summer. Camps take kids and so do parents. We have seen 100 plus kids down past where the umbrella rentals are though. Totally different beach when the kids are I school though.

What is there "summer" months for the kids?

• 4 months later...