Tickets for the Academia Gallery Museum in Florence

BajanFab

Hi, I want to take an excursion with the ship to Florence, but I want to get tickets for the Academia Gallery Museum to see the Michelangelo "David". Does anyone know how i can get tickets to the museum before i get to florence. Any advice is greatly appreciated

http://www.accademia.org/buy-tickets/

That's good thinking to want to get your tickets ahead of time because otherwise you waste sooooooo much time which you absolutely don't have on a day trip. My sister was in Florence this week and she wanted to go see David and couldn't because the lines were so tremendously long. She should have pre-bought tickets!

That and the Uffizi Gallery are two where buying in advance is a good idea in Florence. Went in May 2015 to see David and would not have gotten in without buying a ticket in advance.

All of the other sites we did was manageable.

We're going to Florence in October. We are thinking of purchasing Firence tickets for the day. I know €72 seems a lot but this way we don't have to pick a time and just go to front of line. Doable or just pick a time and try to make it? Also, besides the two major museums, we we will try to do Medici Chapel and some other for fee sites.

It is a bit confusing, but accademia.org (and uffizi.org) aren't the official websites of the museums. Rather, http://www.b-ticket.com/b-ticket/uffizi/default.aspx will get you there. Scroll to the bottom of the page and there is an option to have the English version of the web page. Comparing, it is 4 euros cheaper (per ticket) to go to this site and it will give you an opportunity to select your entrance time, which are in 15 minute increments. If you are going in the summer, buying tickets ahead is the only way you can make sure you will get in. I just bought our tickets for the Uffizi and Accademia for our July 10 visit. Last time we were in Florence ('05) we skipped both because the lines were so long. We'll see how this works this time. I bought our Vatican tickets ahead too.

It is a bit confusing, but accademia.org (and uffizi.org) aren't the official websites of the museums. Rather, http://www.b-ticket.com/b-ticket/uffizi/default.aspx will get you there. Scroll to the bottom of the page and there is an option to have the English version of the web page. Comparing, it is 4 euros cheaper (per ticket) to go to this site and it will give you an opportunity to select your entrance time, which are in 15 minute increments. If you are going in the summer, buying tickets ahead is the only way you can make sure you will get in. I just bought our tickets for the Uffizi and Accademia for our July 10 visit. Last time we were in Florence ('05) we skipped both because the lines were so long. We'll see how this works this time. I bought our Vatican tickets ahead too.

Thanks for the info. Are these tickets skip the line tickets, and where did you buy your Vatican tickets? Thanks

I called the Accademia directly to make reservations. You pay the reservation fee (I think it was €4 each) in addition to the admission fee but you paid when you got there. They had more of the early time slots when I called. Both times I've done it, we walked up to the window, paid for our tickets and walked in. No wait!

Hi,

trying to help a friend who is going to Italy.

So if you order tix for accedamia and Uffizi you do not wait in line?

Same for Vatican?

Also she is leaving in 2wks would that be hard to get?

Also for these museums are the audio guide sufficient?

Thanks

Kerri

So if you order tix for accedamia and Uffizi you do not wait in line?

Same for Vatican?

The "skip the line" tickets mean that you get to skip the ticket line, but you still have to wait in the security line, which can be quite long in the summer. At some places, there are separate security lines for guided tours which can speed up the process. In July, though, I think we all just have to be prepared for lines :(

For the Accademia, I think an audio guide would be fine. The Uffizi and especially the Vatican can be overwhelming so a tour might be helpful if your friend wants to go that route.

The best way to know if the tickets are hard to get is to try to book them online. Some of the "preferred" times might be sold out but it's always worth looking!

How did you decide the times? Coming from LA Spezia. Have booked a private transportation but need 4 more people to make it affordable. I'm thinking we'll be there around 11:00.

I asked our tour company what time I should book tickets. Because we made good time, we stopped at Piazzle Michelangelo for a view of Florence prior to the museum.

I think I made a reservation for 1030am.

Just figured it out. But I have another question. How far would you suggest to make the reservations apart for Academia and Uffizi? I was thinking one for 12:15pm and then maybe 3pm.

I'd allow more time for the Uffizi than for the Accademia.

When do you have to head back to your ship?

I'd allow more time for the Uffizi than for the Accademia.

When do you have to head back to your ship?

This is a pre cruise stop. The train gets me to Florence around 9:30 and I catch a train to Venice at 5:30pm. I already bough the train tickets so trying to fit what I can into the day.

Since the Accademia is closer to the train station, I'd do the Uffizi first and Accademia second. The Uffizi has much to see, but most people start to zone out after about 2 hours in any museum.

So I think your timings are probably fine. You could go as late as 4:00 to the Accademia, but that's assuming that you'd get right in without having to wait in line to claim your reservations... (Which is not always the case.)

Since the Accademia is closer to the train station, I'd do the Uffizi first and Accademia second. The Uffizi has much to see, but most people start to zone out after about 2 hours in any museum.

So I think your timings are probably fine. You could go as late as 4:00 to the Accademia, but that's assuming that you'd get right in without having to wait in line to claim your reservations... (Which is not always the case.)

Thank you! I'll take note of this when I make my reservations tonight.

Ok, so I bought my tickets this evening and I see that the confirmation has a row and seat number? Does this really mean anything?

Ok, so I bought my tickets this evening and I see that the confirmation has a row and seat number? Does this really mean anything?

No, the site you purchased the tickets from also sells concert tickets, I believe. It doesn't mean anything just an 'artifact' of their system.

No, the site you purchased the tickets from also sells concert tickets, I believe. It doesn't mean anything just an 'artifact' of their system.

Ok thanks!

So do you think these 2 museums will fill my day in Florence? I booked one for 10:45 and the other one for 3. I figure I will also have time for lunch and to see the Duomo before heading back to the station for my 5:30 train.

Ok thanks!

So do you think these 2 museums will fill my day in Florence? I booked one for 10:45 and the other one for 3. I figure I will also have time for lunch and to see the Duomo before heading back to the station for my 5:30 train.

My recommendation would be to spend some quality time -- but not ALL of your time -- in the two museums. As much of a museum-lover as I am, I think it would be a shame to visit Florence and not spend some time walking around and admiring the city itself.

The Rick Steves app mentioned above is a great idea.