Skagway activities?

bluerodeo

We will be stopping in Skagway in August on Carnival Legend. It's a long day in port (7 AM - 9 PM). I'd like to fill the day as best I can. We have booked the Yukon Scenic Drive excursion from 8-1:30. I'm sure some time can be spent shopping and wandering around the downtown, but ideally we would like to have some kind of activity planned for the afternoon or evening. Does anyone have any good suggestions? Something a little more on the affordable side would be great.

There is plenty to do for free. Go to the visitor's center and ask for a list of hikes. There are several that begin right downtown from easy to challenging. There is a national park visitor's center also and a walking map of notable places around town. There is a very nice museum at very little cost.

Hi, we also have a later evening in port. I'm concerned that it looks like town will shut down and if I'm wandering around by myself it's probably not ideal to hit the trails, get eaten by a bear or break a leg and miss the ship. I don't mind to do the walking tour, just looks like all the museums, shops, etc shut down around 5. Would appreciate anyone sharing what they did in the evening at this port.

If the ships are in port the shops will be open and excursions will be running. We had two nights last year and I can't really remember...it gets dark late and the ships leave late. We walked over by the airport and watched the Disney ship pull out. The locals come out with their dogs and children and walk out by Smugglers Cove. As long as you stay around town you shouldn't have to worry about bears. There is a very nice fish restaurant if you walk over by the railroad dock.