Early tours to see sting rays?

maldenmusic

We will be in GC in December and our ship arrives 1-2 hours before the others. Interested in a tour to see Stingray City. Does anyone know of any tours that leave early? We are scheduled to arrive at 7am so I was thinking of maybe a tour leaving between 8 and 9.

Do you remember how early you left? Our ship gets there at 7am.

Depends which "time" you are on. Keep in mind, Caymans are on Eastern Standard Time, not Eastern Daylight Time. They do not observe Daylight Saving Time change. So depends what your specific ship stays on. This is important when going to the Cayman Islands. Does your ship/cruise line change clocks and go by island time, or do they stay on Eastern time in Florida, which right now is an hour ahead of Florida and the Eastern US)?

i.e. right now, it's 4:00pm EDT in Port Canaveral, Florida...but it's 3:00pm in Grand Cayman.

So:

1. Did you find out if you are arriving at 7am Cayman time or 7am EDT? Is the time you are quoting arriving (7:00 am) Cayman EST (which would be 8:00am Florida time), or is it 7:00am EDT (which would be 6:00am on Grand Cayman)? Just a note, many cruises tend to port in around 8:00am EDT (which would be 7:00am time in Grand Cayman). Might want to make sure on that.

2. They (Nativeway) go by EDT (i.e time in Florida). They have one that leaves 9:15am EDT (8:15am time in Grand Cayman) for the Stingray City, Reef Snorkel, and Starfish Tour...and one at 9:00am EDT Florida time (8:00am Grand Cayman Time) for the Stingray, Reef, and Rumpoint Tour.

**ours was in June though, so that EDT/EST came into play...by December, EDT changes back to EST, so that should put you porting in 2 hrs prior to their times and Florida/CG time should be the same. Best though to check and make sure. You can also email Sharon at Nativeway and ask her what their times are during December. They may change during those months. She usually responds pretty fast and is great to work with. email: nativway@candw.ky

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/about-our-tours

Edited by WolfgangJT

Yes, Captain Marvin's has a variety of things to offer. They have 2 and 3 stop Stingray/Snorkle tours that you can take, along with fishing charters and private tours. We are scheduled on the 2 stop in October on Freedom. We have sailed with them 3 times and they are fantastic.

Trip Length (dock to dock)

2.5-2.75 hours

Schedule:

Monday through Friday (not available on weekends)

Times:

8:30, 11:15 and 1:45 (please note seasonal time changes)

Price Includes:

Round-trip transportation from the Waterfront Centre, or from your hotel or condo on Seven Mile Beach, PLUS snorkel gear, life vest or snorkel vest (both optional), and squid for the stingrays.

Price:

US$40/person for ages 12 and over.

US$30/person for ages 4-11.

Free for children under age 4.

Please bring your own flotation device for children under age 4.

Phone: 1-345-945-6975

Captain Marvin's Email is: info@captainmarvins.com

The two-stop stingray/snorkel tour lasts about two hours and 30 minutes, slightly shorter than our three-stop stingray/snorkel tour. The two-stop trip goes to the Stingray City sandbar plus one snorkel stop, either the Barrier Reef or the Coral Gardens. The captain will decide when he gets out to the stingray/snorkel areas which snorkel stop to use, based on wind, wave and tide conditions, as well as on numbers of people at each of the two areas. They always try to go to the less populated of the two stops.

The cost of this tour is US$40/person for ages 12 and over, US$30/person for ages 4-11, and free for children under age 4. They strongly recommend that you bring flotation devices for children under age 4, as our snorkel gear is for ages 4 and over. They provide snorkel vests, life vests, mask, snorkel and fins for everyone ages 4 and over. You are welcome to bring your own gear if you like.

It is also strongly recommended that you know how to swim in order to be safe for the snorkeling stop. The two-stop trip is specifically geared toward the cruise passenger whose ship is not in port long enough to take our three-stop or beach lunch tour, but stay over visitors are also welcome to take this tour. It is available Monday through Friday on days when cruise ships are in port.

There is a seasonal time variation in the trips because of Daylight Time in the United States, so that during Daylight Time our 8:30 and 11:15 trips work with many ships' schedules, and during Standard Time our 11:15 and 1:45 trips work with those same schedules.

Depends which "time" you are on. Keep in mind, Caymans are on Eastern Standard Time, not Eastern Daylight Time. They do not observe Daylight Saving Time change. So depends what your specific ship stays on. This is important when going to the Cayman Islands. Does your ship/cruise line change clocks and go by island time, or do they stay on Eastern time in Florida, which right now is an hour ahead of Florida and the Eastern US)?

i.e. right now, it's 4:00pm EDT in Port Canaveral, Florida...but it's 3:00pm in Grand Cayman.

So:

1. Did you find out if you are arriving at 7am Cayman time or 7am EDT? Is the time you are quoting arriving (7:00 am) Cayman EST (which would be 8:00am Florida time), or is it 7:00am EDT (which would be 6:00am on Grand Cayman)? Just a note, many cruises tend to port in around 8:00am EDT (which would be 7:00am time in Grand Cayman). Might want to make sure on that.

2. They (Nativeway) go by EDT (i.e time in Florida). They have one that leaves 9:15am EDT (8:15am time in Grand Cayman) for the Stingray City, Reef Snorkel, and Starfish Tour...and one at 9:00am EDT Florida time (8:00am Grand Cayman Time) for the Stingray, Reef, and Rumpoint Tour.

**ours was in June though, so that EDT/EST came into play...by December, EDT changes back to EST, so that should put you porting in 2 hrs prior to their times and Florida/CG time should be the same. Best though to check and make sure. You can also email Sharon at Nativeway and ask her what their times are during December. They may change during those months. She usually responds pretty fast and is great to work with. email: nativway@candw.ky

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/about-our-tours

Thanks-I emailed her just now. We leave from New Orleans which will be on Central Standard Time in December. The cruises I've been on have always kept their clocks on the time of the port they left from.

Nativeway Tours has an early one as well. Used them in June when we went, had a fantastic time. Boat is less crowded.

Ditto to Nativeway,we only had 12 people on our boat and the food/atmosphere was wonderful at Rum point. My DH said it was a great value, especially compared to cruise excursion!

Ditto to Nativeway,we only had 12 people on our boat and the food/atmosphere was wonderful at Rum point. My DH said it was a great value, especially compared to cruise excursion!

Britney,

Do you have the e-mail for that company? We used http://www.thenativechoice.com

In Costa Maya and took the Blue Lagoon Adventure Tour for $55. Very well worth it.

Could you please e-mail me?

Thanks,

Britney,

Do you have the e-mail for that company? We used http://www.thenativechoice.com

In Costa Maya and took the Blue Lagoon Adventure Tour for $55. Very well worth it.

Could you please e-mail me?

Thanks,

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com

Go to Contact Us...has the email there.

Edited by WolfgangJT