Bear watching 8/1 Ketchikan

luv2plan

We are going on the jewel next week and currently booked on the bear country wildlife expedition to the rainforest as my husband was nervous about the float plane and the cost was half. Now I'm thinking we may not see any bears. Has anyone done this excursion? Was there bear sightings? Would it be worth double to take a float plane to a viewing area? Thank you

We are going on the jewel next week and currently booked on the bear country wildlife expedition to the rainforest as my husband was nervous about the float plane and the cost was half. Now I'm thinking we may not see any bears. Has anyone done this excursion? Was there bear sightings? Would it be worth double to take a float plane to a viewing area? Thank you

I'll speculate a large number of people do not see bears on this tour. Certainly no where near the success stats of the fly ins, With a boat in, you have to have enough port time, which some itineraries don't. This is a new option, this year? I don't recall hearing about them last year, but doing a search if they were operating, I'd get their success stats. I know the fly ins to Traitor's with the vender I use has been 100% the last couple years.

Thank you Budget Queen. I cancelled the cruise lines tour to the rain forest today and booked the boat to Traitor's. I think this is a new tour where you do get off the boat and drive a couple of miles to the viewing spot and have a couple of hours there. I know with wildlife nothing is certain but I hope this increases our chances.

Thank you Budget Queen. I cancelled the cruise lines tour to the rain forest today and booked the boat to Traitor's. I think this is a new tour where you do get off the boat and drive a couple of miles to the viewing spot and have a couple of hours there. I know with wildlife nothing is certain but I hope this increases our chances.

Yes, you will walk up hill from the dock to their vehicle. They will take you a mile down a logging road, then you walk down to the platform. It's the same, no matter how anyone gets there.

Can you tell me the exact name of this tour? Or, the tour number? Thanks.

Can you tell me the exact name of this tour? Or, the tour number? Thanks.

It's through Alaska hummer adventures it doesn't have a tour number. You need to go to their website.

If anyone goes on this, please report back. Thanks!

It's through Alaska hummer adventures it doesn't have a tour number. You need to go to their website.

If anyone goes on this, please report back. Thanks!

I have never heard of this tour --- I would like to hear reviews as well.

• 2 weeks later...

We are back and happy to report that we saw many bears on the Alaska Hummer Adventure last Monday. The captain picked us up at the dock drove us about 20 minutes to the boat (coast guard boat). We had about a hour on the boat to reach Traitors Cove and a 5 minute drive once we arrived to get to the creek. We saw bears on our walk up and down to the viewing platform and several when we were on the platform. My favorite day of the trip!

I'm glad you had a great time. We ended up not taking that trip but did go to Herring Cove on our own. Saw one bear! We also saw lots of bears on the small boat tour to Tracy Arm Fjord.

How close did you get to the bears? Any photos?

We are back and happy to report that we saw many bears on the Alaska Hummer Adventure last Monday. The captain picked us up at the dock drove us about 20 minutes to the boat (coast guard boat). We had about a hour on the boat to reach Traitors Cove and a 5 minute drive once we arrived to get to the creek. We saw bears on our walk up and down to the viewing platform and several when we were on the platform. My favorite day of the trip!

Thanks for reporting back. So, is the name of the company ---- Alaska Hummer Adventure --- and I assume it is an independent company????

Glad to hear you had a good time.

I'm glad you had a great time. We ended up not taking that trip but did go to Herring Cove on our own. Saw one bear! We also saw lots of bears on the small boat tour to Tracy Arm Fjord.

How close did you get to the bears? Any photos?

Thanks for reporting back --- glad to hear that you did see. Anytime I see bears, I am a happy camper.