cabbage beach access

shelbytennis

was wondering if anyone could give me and update on the beach access for cabbage beach. I tried to do a little research but can't seem to come up with anything concrete. we've always used the access next to the RIU, but it seems that it may not be available anymore? was hoping to hop on the water taxi with the 6 kids in October and walk to that access point and walk down to the far eastern end of the beach away from the crowds. thanks for any input and help. cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been able to get an answer on that either. :( There is another public access point farther east though, and it sounds like that's where you want to go anyway. Take a regular taxi - I bet the taxi drivers know exactly where to drop you off.

We went to cabbage beach in May. Found a taxi driver just on the other side of the port building charging $5/pp. he dropped us off at the public access point. Very easy to find a return taxi as well, plenty outside the public access just waiting for passengers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the update! can someone provide more information?

When you access the beach, are there chairs and umbrellas to rent? Washrooms? Is the water calm there?

We are considering day passes to the Melia to have a nice beach with chairs and umbrellas,but would love to save the bit of money. Junkanoo beach doesn't sound like what we may want.....

Thanks for the update! can someone provide more information?

When you access the beach, are there chairs and umbrellas to rent? Washrooms? Is the water calm there?

We are considering day passes to the Melia to have a nice beach with chairs and umbrellas,but would love to save the bit of money. Junkanoo beach doesn't sound like what we may want.....

No washrooms. There are people renting chairs and umbrellas and selling drinks.

The water varies depending on the weather. It can be very rough or it can be calm. It's the luck of the draw.

Calm day (this was last weekend):

ry%3D480

Rough day (see the guy getting rocked over?):

ry%3D480

Walk down a ways if you want to get away from the crowd:

ry%3D480

Edited by CruisinCrow

Thanks for the pictures and answers!

Wondering if this is better than Junkanoo or if Melia day passes are worth it now?

A little worried about the waves and lack of facilities.....

We've been to Nassau probably 20 times and have done most of the things there are to do there. But I've never had any interest in going to Junkanoo Beach. :) Personally, I would spring for a day pass at Melia. It's worth it to have facilities, pools, lounge chairs, towels, etc. The beach is nicer there than at Junkanoo too.

We went to the Melia last visit. They did not tell us you could not get into the ocean due to currents until after we paid. You cannot see the beach from the lobby. And they would not refund. We used the pools and hot tub for about 90 minutes and it started raining. It is beautiful and they give you snorkel gear but just make sure you check the weather and water status before you pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by thanna86

We went to the Melia last visit. They did not tell us you could not get into the ocean due to currents until after we paid. You cannot see the beach from the lobby. And they would not refund. We used the pools and hot tub for about 90 minutes and it started raining. It is beautiful and they give you snorkel gear but just make sure you check the weather and water status before you pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Melia is on Cable beach.