Solo on Royal Caribbean or Carnival?

FLchick3

I've cruised solo on Carnival 7 times and Royal Caribbean once. Carnival definitely has a friendlier vibe for solo traveler's than Royal does. When I'm solo on Carnival, I'm always automatically seated at a large table at dinner with other solo traveler's or at least with people around my age, but no families and no couples. On my solo Royal cruise, I was put at a small 4 top with a couple. Talk about awkward! I had to request a different table so I didn't feel like an intruder on them. Carnival will post in the Fun Time a "singles meet and greet" the first night in the nightclub around 11:30 pm. It's really a waste to do that because it's not a hosted event, but moroso them telling you meet here own your own, good luck. People are already dancing and the music is loud, so 99.9% of the time it's impossible to tell if anyone is really there for it. On my first RC cruise (not solo), I did notice in the Cruise Compass one day a solo cruisers lunch in the Windjammer, but it was held on a port day when not a lot of people would be around. On my solo RC, they had a solo cruiser meet up at one of the bars several times during the cruise, but it was at a weird time when people were either at early dinner or getting ready for late dinner. I never went because I was always getting dressed. People are more likely on Carnival to say oh you're by yourself, come hang out with us in port tomorrow than on RC. Overall, I think Carnival is more solo friendly. Just my thoughts and experience. :)

I've cruised solo on Carnival 7 times and Royal Caribbean once. Carnival definitely has a friendlier vibe for solo traveler's than Royal does. When I'm solo on Carnival, I'm always automatically seated at a large table at dinner with other solo traveler's or at least with people around my age, but no families and no couples. On my solo Royal cruise, I was put at a small 4 top with a couple. Talk about awkward! I had to request a different table so I didn't feel like an intruder on them. Carnival will post in the Fun Time a "singles meet and greet" the first night in the nightclub around 11:30 pm. It's really a waste to do that because it's not a hosted event, but moroso them telling you meet here own your own, good luck. People are already dancing and the music is loud, so 99.9% of the time it's impossible to tell if anyone is really there for it. On my first RC cruise (not solo), I did notice in the Cruise Compass one day a solo cruisers lunch in the Windjammer, but it was held on a port day when not a lot of people would be around. On my solo RC, they had a solo cruiser meet up at one of the bars several times during the cruise, but it was at a weird time when people were either at early dinner or getting ready for late dinner. I never went because I was always getting dressed. People are more likely on Carnival to say oh you're by yourself, come hang out with us in port tomorrow than on RC. Overall, I think Carnival is more solo friendly. Just my thoughts and experience. :)

I have been on RCI twice and I have to agree that RCI doesn't do much when it comes to solo passengers. those solo events, at least in my experience are not attended. I have been to a couple and found out rather quickly i was the only one there. it could be due to the awkward timing. Never been on carnival but I guess I will find out on the vista in 2017 (though I don't know if I will be solo on that cruise or not.. believe it or not I met a flight attendant that seems pretty cool thus far)..

As an aside. I saw that you posted on the royal forum about your trip and all the heat you got.. some people are loyalist to a fault is all I will say about that.. hope all is well in your world..

I've cruised solo on Carnival 7 times and Royal Caribbean once. Carnival definitely has a friendlier vibe for solo traveler's than Royal does. When I'm solo on Carnival, I'm always automatically seated at a large table at dinner with other solo traveler's or at least with people around my age, but no families and no couples. On my solo Royal cruise, I was put at a small 4 top with a couple.

I remember reading somewhere---maybe here on Cruise Critic, maybe somewhere else---that Carnival and Royal Caribbean use different ways of assigning seats. On Carnival, it's done manually by the maitre d', with things like age and marital status taking high priority. This way, a young solo cruiser won't be a 3rd or 5th wheel, or be seated with a family with little kids. On Royal Caribbean, seating is assigned randomly by a computer, ensuring only that families won't get split up. You can still visit the maitre d' in person before the first dinner and have him reseat you, but that's not always easy.

I have been on RCI twice and I have to agree that RCI doesn't do much when it comes to solo passengers. those solo events, at least in my experience are not attended. I have been to a couple and found out rather quickly i was the only one there. it could be due to the awkward timing. Never been on carnival but I guess I will find out on the vista in 2017 (though I don't know if I will be solo on that cruise or not.. believe it or not I met a flight attendant that seems pretty cool thus far)..

As an aside. I saw that you posted on the royal forum about your trip and all the heat you got.. some people are loyalist to a fault is all I will say about that.. hope all is well in your world..

John Heald is supposed to be announcing something eventually for solo cruisers that will be brought to the ship's soon. It will be interesting to see what that is. I wonder if it might be something like what NCL does with solos. Good luck with the new girl. Flight attendants are awesome people to date. :D Go check out the review if you haven't already. The heat on my initial post before the review was only from a few but I know how to hold my ground.

I remember reading somewhere---maybe here on Cruise Critic, maybe somewhere else---that Carnival and Royal Caribbean use different ways of assigning seats. On Carnival, it's done manually by the maitre d', with things like age and marital status taking high priority. This way, a young solo cruiser won't be a 3rd or 5th wheel, or be seated with a family with little kids. On Royal Caribbean, seating is assigned randomly by a computer, ensuring only that families won't get split up. You can still visit the maitre d' in person before the first dinner and have him reseat you, but that's not always easy.

I already knew that, but that's good information to those who might not know and further emphasizes my point that Carnival is better at giving solo cruisers a good dinner table than Royal Caribbean. Many people have said on the Royal board they've traveled solo and been seated at a small table with a couple.

As a solo on Royal, I don't sit in the dining room for dinner unless I go with others. I do just fine at the Windjammer. In fact, on my cruise earlier this month (Vision of the Seas), most people I spoke with agreed the food was better in the Windjammer than in the dining room.

As a solo on Royal, I don't sit in the dining room for dinner unless I go with others. I do just fine at the Windjammer. In fact, on my cruise earlier this month (Vision of the Seas), most people I spoke with agreed the food was better in the Windjammer than in the dining room.

I'm pretty much the same,but I will go to the dining room shortly after boarding to see which table I have been assigned to and find out who is seated there, Royal is pretty open about letting you know if those at your table are a family,couples..etc.

Usually I end up in WJ unless I meet several people early on and try to have us all share a table. WJ in the evening has a nice ambiance and they offer a great area(on most ships) that's ideal for solo travelers.

On my Transatlantic's with Royal, it was the hangout spot to meet up with other solo cruisers. We even planned a dinner at the specialty restaurant one night.

I'm pretty social and meet up with many people organically....so don't really mind that most of the lines lack programs for solo cruisers.

It's usually a tough balancing act for some of the lines,because some assume when they see solo meet up, the implication is hookup, so many might not show up if they aren't looking for that type of vibe.

John Heald is supposed to be announcing something eventually for solo cruisers that will be brought to the ship's soon. It will be interesting to see what that is. I wonder if it might be something like what NCL does with solos. Good luck with the new girl. Flight attendants are awesome people to date. :D Go check out the review if you haven't already. The heat on my initial post before the review was only from a few but I know how to hold my ground.

hopefully it will be something useful.. but that is over a year from now so I am not too worried about it. I will see where it goes. right now we are talking/dating to see if we make sense. well i figured if I couldn't get one thick flight attendant that makes her residence in Atlanta I would just have to find another ;) (it was purely a coincidence that you two had those things in common). I guess I will see how awesome flight attendants can be..

I have started reading the review. I am up to the point where you are talking about your first day on the ship.. the review is awesome and detailed as always. i read that you stepped your camera game up with the DSLR.. I know next to nothing about camera but I hear those are some good cameras to have.

• 6 months later...

This is an interesting topic. If I travel solo, I don't really want to sign up for meals and shows and such. The goal is to have some fun and down time solo. If I wanted dinner mates, I would invite folks on the cruise. So, I don't weigh in solo programming by the cruise line when considering which line to use or if a cruise was good. If I travel solo, that's my choice and not their job to find someone for me to dine with. Just my take on it. Yes, I do use Roll Calls and enjoy them. But, I do that for myself. That's my responsibility since I chose to travel solo.

John Heald is supposed to be announcing something eventually for solo cruisers that will be brought to the ship's soon. It will be interesting to see what that is. I wonder if it might be something like what NCL does with solos.

Has John Heald made his announcement by now about something for solo cruisers on Carnival? I haven't heard yet, so please let me know.

• 1 month later...
I booked a balcony on the Glory with a solo rate. You really just have to watch. According to John Heald at Carnival, there will be a new program for solos. He hasn't announced it yet.

You should check goccl.com and click on Solo Rates. They usually have a huge list of sailings with solo pricing for interior/OV/Balcony. You need to be flexible or check back often.

I know that this reply is 8 months old, so I'm wondering if goccl.com is still correct site to look for solo rates? I tried and now it seems like it a TA site - no solo rates area to click on.

• 3 weeks later...