What to do with free time in Venice, Bologna, and Florence?

Bound4Bermuda

Although I'm sure the best answer is just wander and explore, my husband would feel more comfortable if we had some type of a game plan--even if it's a general "head [in this direction]" or "check out [whatever] [here]."

Please throw out any and all suggestions for what we should check out nearby the following:

Venice

Would have a whole night free, and an afternoon (4-5 hours) after seeing Doge's Palace, St. Marks Cathedral, & Glass Showroom. What else must we see/do?

Bologna

We're having a site-packed guided tour throughout the city center with free time to wander and souvenir shop after lunch. Any favorite shops?

Florence

We have 45 minutes free to explore Church of Santa Croce. (It sounds like the rest of the tour is guided, such as through Accademia Museum.)

Thank you!

Although I'm sure the best answer is just wander and explore, my husband would feel more comfortable if we had some type of a game plan--even if it's a general "head [in this direction]" or "check out [whatever] [here]."

Please throw out any and all suggestions for what we should check out nearby the following:

Venice

Would have a whole night free, and an afternoon (4-5 hours) after seeing Doge's Palace, St. Marks Cathedral, & Glass Showroom. What else must we see/do?

Bologna

We're having a site-packed guided tour throughout the city center with free time to wander and souvenir shop after lunch. Any favorite shops?

Florence

We have 45 minutes free to explore Church of Santa Croce. (It sounds like the rest of the tour is guided, such as through Accademia Museum.)

Thank you!

I love Bologna!!! Since its foodie heaven I would look for some food shops. The Eataly shop is probably a great place to start. I also remember an interesting pasta shop walking toward the University from the two towers...sold pasta in the front and had a cooking school in the back.

Hope you get to spend a night at least...the town has one of the best vibes in Italy. The right mix of local and tourist and very vibrant, probably because of the university.

Link for Eataly...

https://www.summerinitaly.com/guide/eataly-bologna

Edited by buggins0402

Venice

Start at either St Marks or P Roma and head for the other

Directional arrows at above eye level on buildings will point the way to your destination and yes sometimes those arrows show opposite directions!

In other words there is no straight line to get there and you will never find the same route twice but wind your way along

getting lost in Venice is actually a contradiction in terms!

• 4 weeks later...

Venice

Bologna

Florence

Thank you!

Didn't make it to Bologna but we loved Venice and Florence. Venice is like a maze. You can walk and just see such beautiful buildings. The whole town is history. Florence had some beautiful areas for walking too. You can take some great tours that just walk and see the beauty.