Jost Van Dyke or Cane Garden Bay???

skigirl77

Hi - first post here, so bear with me...

We're headed on DCL Eastern Carribbean 7 nights in December. We have 2 little girls (age 5 & 3 years old). In Tortola we'd really just like to head to a beach for the day. Trying to figure out the easier (while being safe) way to go about that.

Our options as I see them:

1. Catamaran trip to Jost Van Dyke - Pluses: this is the longest trip & seems it will give us the most time at the beach. No need for car/trucks & car seats. Downsides: It is expensive for the 4 of u

2. Safari Taxi to Cane Garden Bay - pluses: inexpensive & will get a nice amount of time at the beach. Downsides: not trying to raise the contentious car seat issue here, but I am nervous about that transport, with a lack of abilty to use any car seats. I've taken them on transport without car seats before - but it has been large coach-like busses.

Are there any other options? Am I being silly for worrying? Welcome any advice at all.

Hi, and welcome to the Cruise Critic family!!! And you are not being silly at all – these are great questions! :)

It looks like you’re in port from 8 or 8:30 – 5:45 or so with 4,00 fellow passengers and will have about 9 hours to experience the area, is that right? The Jost day includes the cat ride there and back which is a nice experience, and the time on Jost is at White Bay which is a nice beach but it can be very crowded with all of the day trippers stopping in from the BVI and excursions from St Thomas and St John, especially on weekends. Other than the beach it’s primarily a beach bar experience. So yes the beach is nice, it just depends on whether you want to be around a busier party vibe. You can get away from the busier section around the Soggy $ Bar but you’ll also be away from restrooms, etc.

For a nice beach experience I would suggest looking at a beach on Tortola. You can stop by the visitors center at the pier and ask for help in locating a taxi with car safety seats, the girls there are very helpful. As far as beaches, CGB will be full of your fellow cruisers and quite busy. Others will go to Brewers Bay for a less busy vibe and the snorkeling, so that will probably be a little busy but certainly not as bad as CGB. The restrooms are a little more rustic at BB. Another beach with a beach bar and lounges for rent is Long Bay, West End. There is a small resort there with a restaurant and restrooms, and Long Bay is a nice, long walking beach. The girls also might enjoy watching the pelicans diving for fish there.

You should be able to hook up with a driver who has safety seats for the girls, and that driver would return for you. If a driver is not available there are both safari taxis and enclosed bus types, perhaps the latter would be safer and something you would consider. But the gals at the visitors center can help you there.

Hope you are able to enjoy Tortola whatever option you choose – gorgeous island! :)

My concern is getting the young girls from the catamaran to the beach. When we went, water was choppy and you had to swim to beach. They did provide lifevests if needed but don't know if young children could manage

Were you on a cat? Unless the beach is occupied by other cats unloading folks most cats will beach and sand anchor and let you off in ankle-deep water then moor.

But if you are on a monohull or there is no room to beach the cat you're right, unless they have a dinghy you must get off in the water and it can be over your head not far from shore...

Ski girl it looks like you're not there on a weekend so that's a huge plus. I assume you're considering the Rebel Yell cat through the ship? I know that often fills up because it is so popular. Or are you talking to Kuralu or another independent operator?

Edited by blue_water

That's all super helpful info thank-you.

It sounds like getting a van/car taxi that has seat belts may not be that big of an issue then? That's super helpful & great to know.

Re: cat trip. If we did that we were planning on bringing our own life jackets. I wouldn't take the chance with bringing them on a sailboat without being sure they had lifejackets (so safer just to bring our own). With life jackets I'd have no concerns - they are both very comfortable in the water, my husband and I are very strong swimmers. We'd have no problem swimming miles with them to shore, no problem swimming through chop or breaking waves.

That's all super helpful info thank-you.

It sounds like getting a van/car taxi that has seat belts may not be that big of an issue then? That's super helpful & great to know.

Re: cat trip. If we did that we were planning on bringing our own life jackets. I wouldn't take the chance with bringing them on a sailboat without being sure they had lifejackets (so safer just to bring our own). With life jackets I'd have no concerns - they are both very comfortable in the water, my husband and I are very strong swimmers. We'd have no problem swimming miles with them to shore, no problem swimming through chop or breaking waves.

Yes taxis are available with seat belts.

You would be fine with the Jost trip then, just a matter of the experience you want then. Can't choose a bad one ;)