RCI Grandeur of the Seas Fitness Center

lenquixote66

I have a partial disability and need to exercise as much as possible . I will be on Grandeur of the Seas next month . There are no elevators going to the deck that the fitness center is on . You have to go one deck below and walk up a staircase . I do not have a problem walking up but I have great difficulty walking down.

There is an emergency exit to the outside deck but it is locked on windy days and nearly every day on a ship it is windy out .

I have a partial disability and need to exercise as much as possible . I will be on Grandeur of the Seas next month . There are no elevators going to the deck that the fitness center is on . You have to go one deck below and walk up a staircase . I do not have a problem walking up but I have great difficulty walking down.

There is an emergency exit to the outside deck but it is locked on windy days and nearly every day on a ship it is windy out .

Also not sure exactly what you're question is ?

Suggest you speak to a physical therapist or a personal trainer at the fitness center you currently attend prior to going on the cruise to adapt the exercises you're currently doing by using strength resistance bands. These bands come in all strength resistance sizes , can be purchased fairly inexpensive at most mass merchant retailers or through the internet and are easy to pack. Most exercises can be adapted to using strength resistance bands and the exercises can be done seated if needed.

Edited by xxoocruiser

It is not a question . I am stating the fact that if you have a disability you cannot use the fitness center on the Grandeur .

" I am stating the fact that if you have a disability you cannot use the fitness center on the Grandeur" is too general of a statement . There are many types of disabities. Many of which will not prohibit someone from accessing the fitness center. Therefore perhaps the better statement would be " Depending on one's level of mobility you may not be able to access the fitness center on the Grandeur being the only access is via stairs " .:)

Edited by xxoocruiser

" I am stating the fact that if you have a disability you cannot use the fitness center on the Grandeur" is too general of a statement . There are many types of disabities. Many of which will not prohibit someone from accessing the fitness center. Therefore perhaps the better statement would be " Depending on one's level of mobility you may not be able to access the fitness center on the Grandeur being the only access is via stairs " .:)

People in wheelchairs cannot use the fitness center.

People in wheelchairs cannot use the fitness center.

While your statement is correct, xxoo's statement is a better description of the actual circumstances.

A question for you. Did you ask about access to the fitness center? I'm not real familiar with the Grandeur, but would be surprised if a crew elevator didn't go up to deck 10 aft there, and in many cases, you can get an "elevator pass" to use a crew elevator in areas where there is no normal passenger accessibility.

While your statement is correct, xxoo's statement is a better description of the actual circumstances.

A question for you. Did you ask about access to the fitness center? I'm not real familiar with the Grandeur, but would be surprised if a crew elevator didn't go up to deck 10 aft there, and in many cases, you can get an "elevator pass" to use a crew elevator in areas where there is no normal passenger accessibility.

I inquired about that and was told that the only access is the stairway.

I inquired about that and was told that the only access is the stairway.

There are elevators going to the deck that the gym is on but no elevators going directly to the gym.

The only access to the gym from the deck is an emergency door that is kept locked .The staff will only open the door from the inside on non windy days (translation when the ship is not moving),

There are elevators going to the deck that the gym is on but no elevators going directly to the gym.

The only access to the gym from the deck is an emergency door that is kept locked .The staff will only open the door from the inside on non windy days (translation when the ship is not moving),

Okay. Are you complaining that the gym should be accessible, or just wanting to let folks know that it isn't? Since Grandeur was built before Spector v. NCL, the ship was required only to make changes in accessibility that were "readily achievable" and would not require major redesign of the vessel. Obviously, adding elevator access where none existed would require a major redesign. Foreign flag cruise ships are not required, per Spector, to adhere to all aspects of the ADA.

Okay. Are you complaining that the gym should be accessible, or just wanting to let folks know that it isn't? Since Grandeur was built before Spector v. NCL, the ship was required only to make changes in accessibility that were "readily achievable" and would not require major redesign of the vessel. Obviously, adding elevator access where none existed would require a major redesign. Foreign flag cruise ships are not required, per Spector, to adhere to all aspects of the ADA.

I am posting this to let handicapped people know that they will not be able to use the Fitness Center . Even though the ship was built in 1996 a great many handicapped passengers are on every cruise and I am sure I am not the first to bring this to the attention of the public .