Do your own Denali tour or the ships?

brittani299

I am looking at NCLs cruise in September that ends or starts in Seward. Just the cruise is fairly priced but if you look at their train package to denali it jumps way up in price. Is it cheaper, easier, and more fun to go on your own or is the ships package better? I have been to Alaska 4 times now so I am looking for a different kind of Alaska adventure.

Have you looked at the train packages offered by the Alaska Railroad? I have no idea how their prices compare to a cruisetour but it would an easy option if you don't want to plan out your own itinerary.

If you want to travel by train to Denali DIY, just price it out and see how it compares to the cruisetour cost. The price for each leg of the train journey is clearly indicated on the Alaska Railroad web site.

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/ride-a-train

The evening train from Seward will require you to overnight in Anchorage. Comfort Inn Ship Creek is an easy option because its close to the depot.

In Denali you'll need to stay at Princess Lodge or some other lodging that provides transportation to/from the depot and to/from the park entrance.

Another DIY option if you don't want to rent a car is the Park Connection Bus which travels daily between Seward and Denali. Or train one way and bus the other.

Since you're travelling so late in the season be very mindful of when the shuttles and tours end at Denali (2nd week in Sept). And also be aware that some of those bus trips can be cancelled due to snow on the park road . That can start as early as Sept 1. I experienced snow flurries one year in mid August.

p.s. If you want a "different kind of Alaska adventure" maybe consider a land trip instead of cruise #5........

Edited by mapleleaves
snow denali

I am looking at NCLs cruise in September that ends or starts in Seward. Just the cruise is fairly priced but if you look at their train package to denali it jumps way up in price. Is it cheaper, easier, and more fun to go on your own or is the ships package better? I have been to Alaska 4 times now so I am looking for a different kind of Alaska adventure.

We booked our NCL Sun cruise on the 5 Sept 2016 Northbound, but no land tours were available. Later, the tours were available, but NCL would not just add the land tour, it required us to rebook and since only two of the three in our cabin was going on the land tour, thet was not an option, so we booked a land tour with Alaska Tours and Travel.

That tour was excellent, except for one problem. We paid a lot more for the glass topped train from Denali to Anchorage. A rock slide on the tracks cancelled our train, so they bussed us to Anchorage. I requested a refund and the Alaska Rail refused, keeping the over $300 for the two of us (difference of bus vs. rail).

Just beware if your train is cancelled due to mother nature, forget a refund.

Really look at the details of Alaska mainland tours. A lot of wrong assumptions are made. NCL had one add on the did have Homer. Far from ideal schedule, but it may be enough for some people.

The problem with cruisetours- the adjective "rushed, hectic" fit. They simply are NOT enough time. First I would suggest, you make sure about what you want with Seward- and not shortchange yourself there. It's a gem. The other area to really know the details about is Denali Park. In the fall- getting to Wonder Lake is an excellent trip. This shuttle bus ends mid Sept. A better plan is to have a north bound cruise that starts at the end of August then you have time for some peak Denali viewing. http://www.nps.gov/dena

We are on the Southbound 9/4/17 sailing and want to do a land tour also to Denali. We booked when just the cruise had opened thinking that we could just add the land tour with NCL but have since found out that is not the case. The cost is not worth it to re-book but are looking into doing a Princess land tour which are not to badly priced.

I have recently found out that NCL will be opening up a "excursion" for the train from ANC to Seward once they have pricing down. It leaves at noon and arrives at 6PM. At least by doing that you are guaranteed the boat won't leave without you in case of any issues along the way.

I know we need to stay overnight in ANC when we arrive and then have our tour start the next day. We will be back in ANC for another night and then leave on the noon train. Seems much easier than trying to get on at the crack of dawn and will give us some time to poke around ANC some more.

We are on the Southbound 9/4/17 sailing and want to do a land tour also to Denali. We booked when just the cruise had opened thinking that we could just add the land tour with NCL but have since found out that is not the case. The cost is not worth it to re-book but are looking into doing a Princess land tour which are not to badly priced.

I have recently found out that NCL will be opening up a "excursion" for the train from ANC to Seward once they have pricing down. It leaves at noon and arrives at 6PM. At least by doing that you are guaranteed the boat won't leave without you in case of any issues along the way.

I know we need to stay overnight in ANC when we arrive and then have our tour start the next day. We will be back in ANC for another night and then leave on the noon train. Seems much easier than trying to get on at the crack of dawn and will give us some time to poke around ANC some more.

The Comfort Inn in Anchorage is a nice modestly price hotel with free hot breakfast and great staff. It is very close to the rail station.

The Comfort Inn in Anchorage is a nice modestly price hotel with free hot breakfast and great staff. It is very close to the rail station.

Thanks for the suggestion 4774Papa. I will look into that.

My husband is not big on renting cars and driving in strange places no matter how easy the traveling is. He does enough driving at home and wants to enjoy a less stressful time on vacation.

Does the hotel have a shuttle to/from the train station, or do I need a taxi?

Yes, the hotel does have a shuttle and a friendly driver. In fact, when we asked about good restaurants near the hotel, he took us to The 49th State, which was excellent, and not so far from the hotel that we walked back.

If you can roll your luggage the hotel is only about 200 yards from the train station. Of course, you can call them and they will pick you up.

Also, they offer free service to the airport.