Ravenna port stop

kcbmarek

Ravenna is our first port stop after leaving Venice next July. Is there any insight on what to do in Ravenna? Do we need to look into a guide? Is it doable on our own?

Any insight would be awesome!

TIA,

Kim

We were there last month, nice small town, some great old churchs, Dante's tomb is there we had a guide that was recommended by Rick Steves, her name was Claudia Frassineti, she was very good, it would try to get her again , we had 6 or 8 people so price was not bad at all. But I do think you could do it on your own.

We were there last month, nice small town, some great old churchs, Dante's tomb is there we had a guide that was recommended by Rick Steves, her name was Claudia Frassineti, she was very good, it would try to get her again , we had 6 or 8 people so price was not bad at all. But I do think you could do it on your own.

Thanks for the information. Do you have a website or contact method for Claudia?

Ravenna is our first port stop after leaving Venice next July. Is there any insight on what to do in Ravenna? Do we need to look into a guide? Is it doable on our own?

Any insight would be awesome!

TIA,

Kim

Ravenna is renowned for it's churches with stunning mosaics. The main sites ( 8 from memory) are all very close together and are easily walkable. You can get a map from the tourist information centre. One of the sites is a little further out of town.

We found the town to be quite ordinary but the splendour and amount of mosaics is something to behold! We stayed in town so can't advise on places further afield.

There was a shuttle from the port into town, taxi's or a local bus quite near.

There was a charge for some of the places but it was only 8.50 euro and it included several places, we also used cruise bus to get there , on church had mosaics in lower level that was always flooded and someone added goldfish to it, rather strange to see them swimming with mosaics below them

Ravenna was one of our favorite stops as we found it's charm and spectacular mosaics a refreshing change.

We took the ship's shuttle and did a self-guided walking tour. In hindsight, I would have appreciated a more formal guided commentary as I found the mosaics so unique and interesting - in particular, the Arian Bapistry.

We also enjoyed the small quaint streets and squares. We enjoyed a lovely lunch and were able to do some gift shopping.

On the shuttle back to ship, we heard one couple complaining that the port of call was a complete waste of time. To each their own! :)

By the time we reached Ravenna we knew we wouldn't be interested in more churches so we planned a nice lunch. I researched restaurants on Tripadvisor and mapped it. We took the cruise bus and walked to the restaurant from there. We had a great lunch and relaxing day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums