Disney Returns to Southern California

GoProCruiser

The first cruise I was ever on was a Disney package. 1989. In those days, it was not owned directly by Disney, but a deal they had with the now long defunct Premier Cruise lines. You had your choice between a three night cruise and four nights at Disney World or a four night cruise and three nights at Disney World. Package included airfare, rental car for the week, hotel at DW, admission to the parks and the cruise.

I really wanted to do a cruise...the attraction for my wife was Disney. Our daughters were then 3 and 5. At the time, we lived only 15 minutes from Disneyland here in SoCal. We had visited Disneyland countless times, but always just for the day. This was an opportunity to build an entire vacation around it. The kids got Disney and all the rides...and they got the Disney characters on the ship. And it was all tied together in one neat package.

Lots of fun...and it was also a learning experience as our intro to cruising. We made a few mistakes: We took the redeye from LAX to Orlando and did the cruise first. Mistake. Did it that way because that was how the package was sold. Soon realized we should have flown in a day early...and, maybe more important, done the exhausting DW part first. We also booked a cabin at the front of the ship...while the kids programs were toward the back of the ship. Had to carry two sleeping kids the length of the ship every night.

Anyway, getting back to the point here: I always thought that Disney was foolish to ignore the West Coast for cruising. The same things that attracted us to this deal should work on the West Coast just as easily as on the East Coast. People will take this cruise because it is Disney...and because of the tie-ins with the parks. Families with young kids will do this and not just because of the cruise.

One of the knocks on cruising here in SoCal is the limited number of ports to visit as compared to the Caribbean. But...that Disney package we took only went to the Bahamas and back after all...not much more exciting that going to Ensenada or Cabo and back.

And, important here is that Disney has a park here as well...and hotels to fill at the park. A perfect opportunity to market Cruise/Disneyland packages like the one we bought: a short cruise coupled with a few nights at a Disney hotel and multi-day tickets to Disneyland and California Adventure. It's a natural.

Of course, this announcement appears to be little more than a trial run...It's only seven 2 to 5 night cruises...maybe three weeks total of a ship here in SoCal. Maybe it coincides a little with Spring Break, but, this might work even better in Summer when kids are out of school and the weather is perfect.

For me, I doubt I would take it. My kids are now grown, I don't need to package a visit to Anaheim with my cruise...I'm no longer the right demographic for this. But, there are lots of folks in the Western US and Canada...and even some from the East who have already overdosed on Orlando...who would find this an appealing vacation.

And, of course, I am always for more cruise line competition here in SoCal...Right now, we are stuck with Carnival as the only year-round participant in the market...and some of us won't do Carnival. Then we have Princess for a decent part of the year--but they pull their ships out of here to visit Alaska when that season arises (I don't blame them--it's a more lucrative market for them)...and a minor presence by HAL, NCL and Oceania...and maybe a cruise or two a year for RCCL and Celebrity when they are transitioning ships to Alaska.

I miss the days when RCCL was here year-round with as many as two ships doing both 3/4 night runs as well as 7 night Mexican Riviera cruise.

So, for now, ANY re-entry to the local market is a good thing. I would love to have even more options...to be able to grab a cruise out of SoCal in the Summer...or to jump on a 3-night weekend cruise whenever we have an open weekend...or grab a short cruise when my wife has time on a school vacation--without flying to Florida or elsewhere.

So, Disney, welcome home (Yes, Disney, SoCal IS your home)...but, please, stay a while longer...

The first cruise I was ever on was a Disney package. 1989. In those days, it was not owned directly by Disney, but a deal they had with the now long defunct Premier Cruise lines. You had your choice between a three night cruise and four nights at Disney World or a four night cruise and three nights at Disney World. Package included airfare, rental car for the week, hotel at DW, admission to the parks and the cruise.

I really wanted to do a cruise...the attraction for my wife was Disney. Our daughters were then 3 and 5. At the time, we lived only 15 minutes from Disneyland here in SoCal. We had visited Disneyland countless times, but always just for the day. This was an opportunity to build an entire vacation around it. The kids got Disney and all the rides...and they got the Disney characters on the ship. And it was all tied together in one neat package.

Lots of fun...and it was also a learning experience as our intro to cruising. We made a few mistakes: We took the redeye from LAX to Orlando and did the cruise first. Mistake. Did it that way because that was how the package was sold. Soon realized we should have flown in a day early...and, maybe more important, done the exhausting DW part first. We also booked a cabin at the front of the ship...while the kids programs were toward the back of the ship. Had to carry two sleeping kids the length of the ship every night.

Anyway, getting back to the point here: I always thought that Disney was foolish to ignore the West Coast for cruising. The same things that attracted us to this deal should work on the West Coast just as easily as on the East Coast. People will take this cruise because it is Disney...and because of the tie-ins with the parks. Families with young kids will do this and not just because of the cruise.

One of the knocks on cruising here in SoCal is the limited number of ports to visit as compared to the Caribbean. But...that Disney package we took only went to the Bahamas and back after all...not much more exciting that going to Ensenada or Cabo and back.

And, important here is that Disney has a park here as well...and hotels to fill at the park. A perfect opportunity to market Cruise/Disneyland packages like the one we bought: a short cruise coupled with a few nights at a Disney hotel and multi-day tickets to Disneyland and California Adventure. It's a natural.

Of course, this announcement appears to be little more than a trial run...It's only seven 2 to 5 night cruises...maybe three weeks total of a ship here in SoCal. Maybe it coincides a little with Spring Break, but, this might work even better in Summer when kids are out of school and the weather is perfect.

For me, I doubt I would take it. My kids are now grown, I don't need to package a visit to Anaheim with my cruise...I'm no longer the right demographic for this. But, there are lots of folks in the Western US and Canada...and even some from the East who have already overdosed on Orlando...who would find this an appealing vacation.

And, of course, I am always for more cruise line competition here in SoCal...Right now, we are stuck with Carnival as the only year-round participant in the market...and some of us won't do Carnival. Then we have Princess for a decent part of the year--but they pull their ships out of here to visit Alaska when that season arises (I don't blame them--it's a more lucrative market for them)...and a minor presence by HAL, NCL and Oceania...and maybe a cruise or two a year for RCCL and Celebrity when they are transitioning ships to Alaska.

I miss the days when RCCL was here year-round with as many as two ships doing both 3/4 night runs as well as 7 night Mexican Riviera cruise.

So, for now, ANY re-entry to the local market is a good thing. I would love to have even more options...to be able to grab a cruise out of SoCal in the Summer...or to jump on a 3-night weekend cruise whenever we have an open weekend...or grab a short cruise when my wife has time on a school vacation--without flying to Florida or elsewhere.

So, Disney, welcome home (Yes, Disney, SoCal IS your home)...but, please, stay a while longer...

I loved reading your post! That's very interesting about your first cruise! Reminds me a lot about land tours up in Alaska with doing the cruise first (more relaxing part of the trip) and then doing the land tour second (more go go go paced).

I do find it a little interesting that Disney left San Pedro and is now sailing from San Diego...money must have obviously played a part in that.

Though yes, it will nice to have DCL "home" even if it's just for a little while!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I loved reading your post! That's very interesting about your first cruise! Reminds me a lot about land tours up in Alaska with doing the cruise first (more relaxing part of the trip) and then doing the land tour second (more go go go paced).

I do find it a little interesting that Disney left San Pedro and is now sailing from San Diego...money must have obviously played a part in that.

Though yes, it will nice to have DCL "home" even if it's just for a little while!

Wondering if San Diego had approached Disney or vice versa. Maybe San Pedro wasn't willing to go lower than SD, especially as that port undoubtedly has enough business in April and May from the other cruiselines.

I remember checking the fares the last time they were here and it was so much higher than the other lines. Maybe worth it for Disney fans, but I'm not in that group.

Wondering if San Diego had approached Disney or vice versa. Maybe San Pedro wasn't willing to go lower than SD' date=' especially as that port undoubtedly has enough business in April and May from the other cruiselines.

I remember checking the fares the last time they were here and it was so much higher than the other lines. Maybe worth it for Disney fans, but I'm not in that group.[/quote']

Yeah. It would be interesting to find out! Because Disneyland is definitely not close to San Diego. Lol.

And I remember seeing some of those fares as well. I couldn't get over how much a two night cruise was!! [emoji33][emoji33]

I just looked up prices on the Disney Cruise website...

A two night cruise to Ensenada and back goes for...

2-Night Baja Cruise from San Diego

May 4, 2018

Disney Wonder

Departs San Diego, California

Inside $1,216

Oceanview $1,316

Verandah $1,576

Concierge $3,096

Total Price Including Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses

To give a comparison, I'm doing an 8 night Christmas cruise from LA on the Ruby Princess...and my total price, including fees and taxes for two for an obstructed OV is about $300 pp LESS than an INSIDE on this two-nighter! And that's a HOLIDAY cruise....and four times the length!

People have really got to want a Disney cruise to pay those rates...

BTW, they have some equally overpriced 2017 sailings from San Diego as well...

Edited by Bruin Steve

I just looked up prices on the Disney Cruise website...

A two night cruise to Ensenada and back goes for...

2-Night Baja Cruise from San Diego

May 4, 2018

Disney Wonder

Departs San Diego, California

Inside $1,216

Oceanview $1,316

Verandah $1,576

Concierge $3,096

Total Price Including Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses

To give a comparison, I'm doing an 8 night Christmas cruise from LA on the Ruby Princess...and my total price, including fees and taxes for two for an obstructed OV is about $300 pp LESS than an INSIDE on this two-nighter! And that's a HOLIDAY cruise....and four times the length!

People have really got to want a Disney cruise to pay those rates...

BTW, they have some equally overpriced 2017 sailings from San Diego as well...

Unbelievable!!! I remember seeing those prices for this current year and thought you would pay that much for a two nighter to Ensenada?! Lol

I'd be happier if Royal Caribbean came back to California!! They used to sail from San Diego and we were very happy with their product!!

I am surprised that Disney came to San Diego at all as I was told the new port terminal there couldn't handle the newer larger ships.