cuban rum and cigars

64funwhisper

When in Puerto Rico, you get Puerto Rican rum.

That's what is in stores.

Not sure when Cuban rum will be imported into a US port. Or even IF it will in Puerto Rico- given the industry, I doubt they will let it.

Technically Bacardi is a Cuban Rum, even though it is manufactured and bottled in Puerto Rico. :) That said, I agree with alfaeric, if you are in Puerto Rico, try Don Q or another Puerto Rican Rum. Puerto Rican cigars too. There are a number of cigar shops in Old San Juan, the one I can remember is the Cigar House on Calle Forteleza, but there are others. I have also seen people in Darsanes Square and on Passeo la Princessa rolling and selling cigars.

Technically Bacardi is a Cuban Rum, even though it is manufactured and bottled in Puerto Rico. :) That said, I agree with alfaeric, if you are in Puerto Rico, try Don Q or another Puerto Rican Rum. Puerto Rican cigars too. There are a number of cigar shops in Old San Juan, the one I can remember is the Cigar House on Calle Forteleza, but there are others. I have also seen people in Darsanes Square and on Passeo la Princessa rolling and selling cigars.

I'll give you that.

But we both know that there are way better Rums that that in Puerto Rico.

I'll drink Don Q Gran Anjeo all day long. And when that run out, Ron Barrilto..

What I'm interested in are the smaller ones I keep seeing in various places.

Unfortunately, Bacardi now is as Cuban as pizza is Russian. Yes, production started in Cuba and left just after the revolution. Any Cuban reference in the labels is just a marketing ploy used in bottles sold outside the Americas. US-bound Bacardi rum is distilled, blended, etc. in Puerto Rico but it is then transported to Jacksonville, FL to be bottled. Outside the Americas, Bacardi is marketed as "founded in Cuba" on the front but "aged, filtered and mixed in Puerto Rico". Also, PR is not the only Bacardi factory in the world, but it's the biggest, first (other than the original in Cuba) and most famous.

I'll give you that.

But we both know that there are way better Rums that that in Puerto Rico.

I'll drink Don Q Gran Anjeo all day long. And when that run out, Ron Barrilto..

What I'm interested in are the smaller ones I keep seeing in various places.

Wiki has a nice list of various rums and regions around Puerto Rico. do some research and pick several and then ask around at various shops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Puerto_Rican_rums

Two spots in OSJ to look in are: Casa Melaza on Calle del Cristo near Calle San Francisco but a block or so toward the fort; and , Don Collins ont he corner of Calle del Cristo and Calle Sol, about 2 blocks toward the fort from Casa Melaza.