Greek isles vs Mediterranean cruise

skidawg79

I'm looking at taking a cruise in July/August. My friend and I started looking at cruises in either the mediterranean or greek isles. I honestly don't know anything about either and was looking for some input. Are there any must see's that could sway my choice? I have been to Rome and Venice before, those aren't must see's to me. Any particular itinerary with amazing beaches?

I honestly can have fun doing just about anything, but some input on comparing the two would be awesome. thanks in advance for your help!

I'm looking at taking a cruise in July/August. My friend and I started looking at cruises in either the mediterranean or greek isles. I honestly don't know anything about either and was looking for some input. Are there any must see's that could sway my choice? I have been to Rome and Venice before, those aren't must see's to me. Any particular itinerary with amazing beaches?

I honestly can have fun doing just about anything, but some input on comparing the two would be awesome. thanks in advance for your help!

How about a circumnavigation of Sicily? Excellent beaches, a culture much more historically diverse and interesting than Italy to the north and the best Greek ruins in the world (as well as a Roman antiquities). Finally- the food and the wine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have done several Med cruises with stop in various Greek ports.....Rhodes, Santorini, Mykonos, and of course Athens. We have done numerous independent travel trips to Turkey, Greece, and Sicily.

While we enjoyed them we much preferred doing it on our own. Last time we started in Athens/Peloponnese and then worked our way down by ferry to Crete. There more work and effort involved in independent travel but we find the rewards are worthwhile.

We have had the same experience in Sicily. Stopped on a cruise and then went back for an extended driving vacation throughout the island and some of the outer islands.

The cruise experience and the DIY experience are very different animals. Only you can decide what area attracts you most and how you want to travel.

We would never select July or August. Too hot, too busy. We prefer the spring or the fall-late Sept and October.

Edited by iancal

• 2 weeks later...

If you want amazing beaches you can't go wrong with the Greek Isles. If you go that route you can look for a cruise that includes stops in Croatia. There are awesome beaches there as well and Croatia is a lovely country with great food. But another option is to take a cruise that includes the Italian Riviera. We did a cruise that included stops in Italy, France and Spain and it also went to Sardinia and Corsica. We are total beach people and that cruise may have been our favorite for its absolute stunning beauty, amazing ports and sightseeing.

I suggest you choose a few itineraries that interest you no then do some research on the port's of call.

My personal choice would not include all Greek islands, maybe one or two. As another poster suggested maybe the south of France and Italy or an Adriatic cruise. Without knowing what interests you, then it is difficult to recommend, but if you weren't impressed by Venice and Rome, I really don't know what to say.

One thing for sure, avoid July/August it's far too hot and crowded.