Messina, Italy vs. Chania, Greece - which do I choose?

whswimmer82

I'll give the opposite view. I found Chania very average except for the view around the old harbor. Whereas from Messina one can go to Taormina, which is what I'd recommend. Beautiful little town with a lovely Greek theatre.

If you choose to go to Chania (Souda port, I assume), I'd look for something else to do rather than just going to Chania town.

I would agree with cruisemom on this one. But it ultimately depends on what you like to do in ports. I went to Chania and it is a lovely little town with some cafes, bars, restaurants, and nice harbor to look around for a few minutes. But not a whole lot more. I went back to the ship after about 3 hours of walking around town. I wish I had booked an excursion or arranged for something outside of the town.

I have been to Messina twice, I think. Both times, I have gone to Taormina. Once I used a ship excursion that went there and also on to Mt. Etna (where you go part of the way up the volcano in a bus and have lunch and some time to walk around on the volcano). There are other volcano excursions where you can go higher up on the mountain on a ski lift like contraption. My second time I took another ship excursion to Taormina, but this time it was simply bus transport there and back. I had 3 or 4 hours to explore the quaint little town perched on the side of a small mountain (hill?). There's a great Greek amphitheater to see and just overall nice views of the Mediterranean and Mt. Etna off in the distance.

There are other excursions to do from Messina as well. Some people do just walk around central Messina. It's within easy walking distance of the ship. I've not done this and probably would not just do that in this port.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Chania is a bit more convenient if you elect to stay in the port city. With Messina, we suggest going to Taormina which is a 45-60 min drive. Depending how you do that trek (or tour) it can possibly be combined with a visit to Castelmola which is a picturesque hilltop town a few miles from Taormina.

Hank

I have been to both ports as well.

In Chania we walked to the fort and had a look around before browsing the shops along the harbour walk to the breakwater and lighthouse. It was a fun day in a charming seaside town.

We ended up in Messina when weather cancelled our stop in Palermo. We walked to the town square to see the large mechanical clock strike 12 at noon. There were plenty of tours being offered and we took the "tourist train" along with a walking tour of the town. The tour combo was inexpensive and finished with a treat at a local bakery.

Both towns had something to offer and I don't think you could go wrong with either.