Denali Princess Lodge Natural History Tour?

Bmw031

A group of 4 of us are going to Alaska for the first time in August.

We are experienced Cruisers but 1st time to Alaska.

Taking a 7 Day Cruise with Princess and 4 day Land Tour.

On the first full day in Denali, we have an excursion that is included in our stay that appears to be a LARGE bus tour from 8:30-3pm.

Is this Bus tour worth our time? It is taking up a large portion of our day and not sure it is worth it being with 55 people getting on and off a bus.

My Husband wants an ATV tour and not sure if would be daylight going out in the evening after the bus tour.

We are comfortable booking independent tours.

Your thoughts?Thanks!

A group of 4 of us are going to Alaska for the first time in August.

We are experienced Cruisers but 1st time to Alaska.

Taking a 7 Day Cruise with Princess and 4 day Land Tour.

On the first full day in Denali, we have an excursion that is included in our stay that appears to be a LARGE bus tour from 8:30-3pm.

Is this Bus tour worth our time? It is taking up a large portion of our day and not sure it is worth it being with 55 people getting on and off a bus.

My Husband wants an ATV tour and not sure if would be daylight going out in the evening after the bus tour.

We are comfortable booking independent tours.

Your thoughts?Thanks!

Is it the Natural History Tour? If so, it is not 7 hours long and is worthless. It never gets you 'into' Denali where the wildlife and wonderful wilderness sites are.

Is it the Tundra Wilderness Tour? If yes, this is not a bad tour if you want to journey deep into a primitive National Park that is not otherwise accessible to the average visitor. No ATV's or private vehicles can journey this deeply into the Park. Bear, wolves, Dall sheep, moose, caribou are routinely seen, up close on this tour. The Park shuttle is a nice alternative to the TWT and is popular with many who visit Denali.

Suggest that you take the TWT and let hubby do the ATV thing.

More details at http://www.reservedenali.com .

I'll just ask, why did you book this tour? It doesn't matter to you what you do, and want to do the ATV? Are you 2 nights at Denali? Frankly the only reason to go to Denali is to get into the park, you have 10 hours of transit- if you are getting there by train? A couple hours less, if by bus. That's hardly worth the trip.

BUT if the interests are with the ATV, then get a REFUND for the Denali tour- Supporting the above, if it's the NHT, you aren't really missing anything, and do what you want with the ATV.

But you may want to look further the details, of what you booked and what you want out of your Alaska trip. If you end up not getting into Denali , it's too bad you didn't find out earlier. There are numerous alternative areas you could have gone, that maybe would have been of more interest to you.

Just to be clear: none of the ATV tours go into Denali National Park. They operate around it.

The only way into the Park is on the park road via the Tundra Wilderness Tour or Denali Park Shuttle. The shuttle is much cheaper and goes further into the park than the tour.

Just to be clear: none of the ATV tours go into Denali National Park. They operate around it.

The only way into the Park is on the park road via the Tundra Wilderness Tour or Denali Park Shuttle. The shuttle is much cheaper and goes further into the park than the tour.

After reading a few reviews I realized we did not want the NHT...so I was able to pay the extra today and upgrade to the Tundra tour..it now seems that the shuttle may be a better choice? :confused:

After reading a few reviews I realized we did not want the NHT...so I was able to pay the extra today and upgrade to the Tundra tour..it now seems that the shuttle may be a better choice? :confused:

I usually recommend the shuttle because it's cheaper and you have the option to get off and hike as you please. Some people prefer the Tundra Wilderness Tour.

A lot of people recommend the shuttle however one thing I noticed while we were on the TWT is that our TWT bus stopped when we saw wildlife, such as Bears, Moose, etc. and spend some time stopped on the road (as long as 20 min. if the animal was close) While several shuttles passed us in that time. I would say they slowed down but did not stop much. Maybe this is a function of the driver too, I am not sure. It is just another thing to consider We certainly had a good time on TWT.

My opinion only, I am not an advocate of "practice" trips? It is DARN simple to take the shuttle bus, IF anyone want's to. And plenty of people do. The savings are significant and the freedom excellent. Nice bonus with the Eielson Shuttle is getting to the Visitor Center.

It is alluded to, above, that the tour bus is superior for "stopping", absolutely inaccurate. Shuttle buses stop just as much.

Some people want to stick with a cruise tour some are open to other options. What's nice about travel, choices.

But Princess is especially attractive with going on the shuttle buses, due to them REFUNDING the tours. :) Those with the NHT included, have a great option of getting farther than a TWT, with NO extra cost and money back. :)