Suggestions for Art-focused Tour in St Petersburg?

Glory_h

Hello! I'm looking for suggestions - be it tour operators or potential itineraries - for a tour focused on art in St Petersburg. I'll have two days. I'd prefer to spend more time at fewer "attractions" but open to ideas. What are must-see for someone who loves art, and what stops on a typical tour could be skipped? I was thinking of a full day at the Hermitage. I'd like to bring a sketchbook and have a nice day wandering around (the second largest art museum in the world!). Thoughts on this? I hope to arrange a small group with a private operator. Thanks!

Hello! I'm looking for suggestions - be it tour operators or potential itineraries - for a tour focused on art in St Petersburg. I'll have two days. I'd prefer to spend more time at fewer "attractions" but open to ideas. What are must-see for someone who loves art, and what stops on a typical tour could be skipped? I was thinking of a full day at the Hermitage. I'd like to bring a sketchbook and have a nice day wandering around (the second largest art museum in the world!). Thoughts on this? I hope to arrange a small group with a private operator. Thanks!

Any of the top independent tour operators can provide a customized 2 day tour for you - I've used Alla Tours for both group and private tours during my multiple visits to St. Petersburg and her tours and guides are excellent (https://alla-tour.com/tours/).

Now - on to the art museums. :) Are you interested in fine art or are you also interested in decorative art as well (i.e., Faberge Museum, Porcelain Museum. Museum of Applied Art, etc.)? If the former, the collection housed in the Hermitage is vast but the Impressionist collection is no longer housed in the Hermitage (it is housed in the General Staff building - across Palace Square from the Hermitage).

The State Russian Museum (main collection is in Mikhailovsky Palace) houses a vast collection of Russian art and rivals Moscow's Tretyakov Gallery - the collection is truly fabulous (especially the 19th century collection - "the wanderers" and the Byzantine icons) & and is not to be missed for lovers of art. http://en.rusmuseum.ru

If time permits, you may also be interested in the Academy of Fine Arts - http://eng.nimrah.ru

The gorgeous art work in some of the churches is staggering - I would recommend that you not miss the Church of Our Savior on Spilled Blood (the mosaics inside are amazing).

The Erarta Museum is interesting if you are interested in contemporary art -

http://www.erarta.com/en/

There are museums in St. Petersburg to satisfy the most dedicated art lover - I've mentioned just a few.

There are several well-known companies in StP which are offering private tours. I had my personal experience with the Best Guides who arranged children-friendly tour for my family a couple years ago. They did a great job covering all pre, on-going and post arrangements and we were absolutely happy with them. I know that they also provide different private tours including ones focused on art but it would be better if you contact them directly as I'm aware only of their children tours:D

Hope you will have a wonderful tour!

Jane

Thanks Jane! I will look into Best Guides.

Any of the top independent tour operators can provide a customized 2 day tour for you - I've used Alla Tours for both group and private tours during my multiple visits to St. Petersburg and her tours and guides are excellent (https://alla-tour.com/tours/).

Now - on to the art museums. :) Are you interested in fine art or are you also interested in decorative art as well (i.e., Faberge Museum, Porcelain Museum. Museum of Applied Art, etc.)? If the former, the collection housed in the Hermitage is vast but the Impressionist collection is no longer housed in the Hermitage (it is housed in the General Staff building - across Palace Square from the Hermitage).

The State Russian Museum (main collection is in Mikhailovsky Palace) houses a vast collection of Russian art and rivals Moscow's Tretyakov Gallery - the collection is truly fabulous (especially the 19th century collection - "the wanderers" and the Byzantine icons) & and is not to be missed for lovers of art. http://en.rusmuseum.ru

If time permits, you may also be interested in the Academy of Fine Arts - http://eng.nimrah.ru

The gorgeous art work in some of the churches is staggering - I would recommend that you not miss the Church of Our Savior on Spilled Blood (the mosaics inside are amazing).

The Erarta Museum is interesting if you are interested in contemporary art -

http://www.erarta.com/en/

There are museums in St. Petersburg to satisfy the most dedicated art lover - I've mentioned just a few.

Thank you so much. I will also look into alla Tours. You've given me some great ideas for what museums and galleries to look into for a potential itinerary. I'm interested in both fine and decorative art so any and all of the above sound great to me. :)

Last year we used ARTeFACTUM tours http://www.privatetours.spb.ru/cruise-passengers/ for a three day custom, art-focused tour. Our specific guide was great and had studied Russian art. You can read reviews on TA.

The Hermitage's Impressionist collection, Erarta Museum, and the Russian Museum were welcome, almost peaceful respites from the rest of SPB. If you do go to the Erarta Museum, be sure to book time in a couple of the U-Spaces.

There is so much to see in SPB it's really difficult to choose.

Last year we used ARTeFACTUM tours http://www.privatetours.spb.ru/cruise-passengers/ for a three day custom, art-focused tour. Our specific guide was great and had studied Russian art. You can read reviews on TA.

The Hermitage's Impressionist collection, Erarta Museum, and the Russian Museum were welcome, almost peaceful respites from the rest of SPB. If you do go to the Erarta Museum, be sure to book time in a couple of the U-Spaces.

There is so much to see in SPB it's really difficult to choose.

Thank you so much for that recommendation, and your suggestions! I have reached out to them and will see what they say. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd post an update here. ARTeFACTUM was helpful in helping me put together an itinerary that covers Hermitage (most of one day) and Erastus and Russian Museums on another day, throwing in some highlights like Peterhof Gardens and Church of Spilt Blood. Cost is $810 for one person, $906 for two people, and $96 for each additional person. Getting a visa-free arrangement for one person on a tour is challenging because one person does not qualify as a "tour group". Fortunately there are others going through ARTeFACTUM on the same days as me, so I can get grouped into their visa-free situation. I'll be looking for companions to join me to help keep costs down. Hope that helps others looking for a similar situation!

Thought I'd post an update here. ARTeFACTUM was helpful in helping me put together an itinerary that covers Hermitage (most of one day) and Erastus and Russian Museums on another day, throwing in some highlights like Peterhof Gardens and Church of Spilt Blood. Cost is $810 for one person, $906 for two people, and $96 for each additional person. Getting a visa-free arrangement for one person on a tour is challenging because one person does not qualify as a "tour group". Fortunately there are others going through ARTeFACTUM on the same days as me, so I can get grouped into their visa-free situation. I'll be looking for companions to join me to help keep costs down. Hope that helps others looking for a similar situation!

Glad you found something that appeals to you! You can find tour shares by posting on your cruise critic roll call.

• 10 months later...

Glory_h,

Thank you for your helpful post. We are looking to spend more time at the Hermitage and also 2 hours or so at the General Staff Building to see the fantastic Impressionist art that has been moved there. I am curious if you were able to put together a larger group (with either people from your Roll Call, or ARTeFACTUM) to reduce your per person cost. We are just a party of 2, so $906/couple would be more money than I would like to spend on a 2-day shore excursion.

Can you give us any update on your final costs, how many in your group, and how it all worked out?

---Rene