Getting to Lyon from Paris, then Avignon to Paris

tulok

We will be on the Uniworld cruise July 9 that starts in Lyon. We are flying into Paris for one night then taking the train to Lyon. Any hints where to stay near the train station in Paris. Also, are there multiple train stations in Lyon?

As for returning to Paris, where we would like to stay one more night before flying home, should we leave from Avignon or take the cruise shuttle to Marseille?

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated

Edited by tulok

I guess you will go to Lyon via the Paris Gare du Lyon train station. Novotel Paris Gare du Lyon is closest at .1 kilometers from this train station. It is a very modern and new hotel inside with high ratings and a low price per night.

To get to Paris from Avignon is 2 hours 36 minutes to 3hours 15 minutes by train. Cost is 25 Euros.

Consider using the Sheraton located in CDG. Very convenient.

We took the cruise shuttle to Marseille and then flew to CDG.

As info. CDG is 21 miles away from Paris.

There are multiple train stations in Lyon, but the two main ones are:

Gare de Lyon-Perrache is Lyon's old station located in the city centre. It is the train terminal for most regional trains.

Gare de la Part-Dieu is the main station for France's high-speed TVG trains that travel between Paris and Marseille.

We did this 2y ago for our Rhone cruise. We flew into Paris for a night but we didn't bother staying near Gare de Lyon. We stayed in the hotel that we wanted, and we just took the RER to the train station that morning. It was easy enough.

There are two stations in Lyon. Our TGV train stopped at both stations; Part-Dieu first, Perrache second. Perrache was within walking distance of the cruise ship dock, so that's where we got off, and we walked to the ship. You can also take a tram from either station, to the stop Quai Claude Bernard, which is right where the ships dock. You can easily see the ships from the tram so no danger of getting lost.

So when buying train tickets, see if you can find one from Gare de Lyon to Perrache as this will be fairly close to the dock.

This link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46105334&postcount=28 will take you to the post in my cruise review where I posted a map of the walking route from Perrache to the boat.

The TGV station in Avignon is just outside of town, not easily walkable from the boat. We did not take the train in Avignon. You would need a cab to the TGV station, which the ship will be able to arrange for you easily enough.

There is probably not a point in going all the way to Marseilles, an hour further south, away from Paris, to then catch a train to return to Paris. The train will be more expensive and I suspect any money you save on the "free" shuttle to the airport will be lost in a more expensive train ticket. Plus you have to still get from Marseilles airport where the shuttle leaves you, to the train station, unless the trains leave from the airport. Some airports have train stations but I'm not sure if Marseilles does. I've never investigated that.

Have a great trip!

I'm taking JP's advice, and have his walking map posted in my homemade itinerary for our July trip. As a note, TGV tickets are cheaper the further in advance you book them, from what I understand. I booked mine exactly 3 months before our trip (when they went on sale) and I only paid 18 Euros each for the TGV from Lyon to Paris.

I guess you will go to Lyon via the Paris Gare du Lyon train station. Novotel Paris Gare du Lyon is closest at .1 kilometers from this train station. It is a very modern and new hotel inside with high ratings and a low price per night.

To get to Paris from Avignon is 2 hours 36 minutes to 3hours 15 minutes by train. Cost is 25 Euros.

Thank you. I saw the Novotel and nice to know that it is a good choice.

We did this 2y ago for our Rhone cruise. We flew into Paris for a night but we didn't bother staying near Gare de Lyon. We stayed in the hotel that we wanted, and we just took the RER to the train station that morning. It was easy enough.

There are two stations in Lyon. Our TGV train stopped at both stations; Part-Dieu first, Perrache second. Perrache was within walking distance of the cruise ship dock, so that's where we got off, and we walked to the ship. You can also take a tram from either station, to the stop Quai Claude Bernard, which is right where the ships dock. You can easily see the ships from the tram so no danger of getting lost.

So when buying train tickets, see if you can find one from Gare de Lyon to Perrache as this will be fairly close to the dock.

This link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46105334&postcount=28 will take you to the post in my cruise review where I posted a map of the walking route from Perrache to the boat.

The TGV station in Avignon is just outside of town, not easily walkable from the boat. We did not take the train in Avignon. You would need a cab to the TGV station, which the ship will be able to arrange for you easily enough.

There is probably not a point in going all the way to Marseilles, an hour further south, away from Paris, to then catch a train to return to Paris. The train will be more expensive and I suspect any money you save on the "free" shuttle to the airport will be lost in a more expensive train ticket. Plus you have to still get from Marseilles airport where the shuttle leaves you, to the train station, unless the trains leave from the airport. Some airports have train stations but I'm not sure if Marseilles does. I've never investigated that.

Have a great trip!

So much great information. I got zealous when I saw a good price for a train ticket from Gare de Lyon to Lyon Part-Dieu, and then read the posts. We will have to take a tram from Part-Dieu to Perrache.

Thank you for all the information.

I'm taking JP's advice, and have his walking map posted in my homemade itinerary for our July trip. As a note, TGV tickets are cheaper the further in advance you book them, from what I understand. I booked mine exactly 3 months before our trip (when they went on sale) and I only paid 18 Euros each for the TGV from Lyon to Paris.

You got a great train deal! We just booked our cruise and train prices for July were going up daily. We had to pay 61 from Paris to Lyon. I will print the walking map. Our train gets in a 12p, so we will have some time to walk around the area.

So much great information. I got zealous when I saw a good price for a train ticket from Gare de Lyon to Lyon Part-Dieu, and then read the posts. We will have to take a tram from Part-Dieu to Perrache.

Thank you for all the information.

Your ticket is totally fine. If your train continues from Part-Dieu to Perrache, just stay on. We did. It's the same ticket, Paris to Lyon, whichever station you disembark at. No need to change your ticket, or buy an extra one.

If your train stops in Part-Dieu, and does not continue to Perrache, the tram to Quai Claude Bernard is line T1. Get off the tram at the boat. Four or five stops. Don't continue past the boat to Perrache, or you'll have to backtrack.

Tram line T1 runs from Part-Dieu to Perrache. Quai Claude Bernard is between the two stations. That may clarify what I'm trying to say.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Your ticket is totally fine. If your train continues from Part-Dieu to Perrache, just stay on. We did. It's the same ticket, Paris to Lyon, whichever station you disembark at. No need to change your ticket, or buy an extra one.

If your train stops in Part-Dieu, and does not continue to Perrache, the tram to Quai Claude Bernard is line T1. Get off the tram at the boat. Four or five stops. Don't continue past the boat to Perrache, or you'll have to backtrack.

Tram line T1 runs from Part-Dieu to Perrache. Quai Claude Bernard is between the two stations. That may clarify what I'm trying to say.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I was wondered if we could stay on the train. I will check our train to see if it continues. This has been a lot of help.