Cruise choice? Mykonos/Malta/Messina or Herkalion/Corfu/Nafplion/Argostoli

2stonesthrow

Looking at summer cruise next year comparing Celebrity Reflection and HAL Oosterdam. Both include Naples, Athens, Santorini, and Rhodes. Celebrity 10 day includes Mykonos, Malta, and Messina. HAL 12 day includes Herkalion, Corfu, Nafplion, and Argostoli. Not looking to hit the pavement for historical sites in numerous ports. Want a balance of relaxation, beautiful villages, good beaches, & good food/wine. For Eastern Med previous travelers, which would you recommend? Thanks!!

I can't really help you with good beaches as I'm not a beach person (nine Med cruises, zero beach visits), but here's my take:

Mykonos -- supposedly some of the better beaches; Mykonos town has the 'charming village' factor with windy streets; it is good for a couple hours' strolling and stop at a taverna.

Malta -- Valletta is not a village but it is easy to see on foot from the port area. Also, it's one of the best sail-ins in the Med (second to Venice and perhaps Istanbul). You can also tour other parts of the island easily -- Mdina the old capital is particularly pretty. There is a fishing village that is supposedly picturesque (Marsaxlokk) but I haven't been there.

Messina -- Most people usually go to Taormina from here, which is a charming town with a Greek theatre as a bonus. There's not as much in Messina itself.

Heraklion (also called Iraklion) -- Not a very charming town but has a wonderful archaeology museum of the Minoan civilization; also very close to Knossos, the famous Minoan city excavated by Arthur Evans. There was a recent post on this forum about someone going to the beach from here, perhaps you can do a search and locate it.

Corfu -- I wouldn't call Corfu a 'charming village' -- it's more of a 'charming city'. It's got a nice boulevard with shaded loggias where you can order up a coffee or other beverage and people watch after strolling the old city area. There's a lovely icon museum in town. Some go for a tour of the larger island; supposedly there is a nice beach or two but not reachable on foot.

Navplion: Another charming city that was the first capital of modern Greece. There's a castle at the top of the hill (a long walk if it's hot -- or even if it isn't). Not too much of note in the town itself, but it's a good jumping-off place to visit Mycenae (famous ruins associated with King Agamemnon of Trojan war fame) and Epidavros.

Can't help with Argostoli -- it's one port I've yet to visit.

I can't really help you with good beaches as I'm not a beach person (nine Med cruises, zero beach visits), but here's my take:

Mykonos -- supposedly some of the better beaches; Mykonos town has the 'charming village' factor with windy streets; it is good for a couple hours' strolling and stop at a taverna.

Malta -- Valletta is not a village but it is easy to see on foot from the port area. Also, it's one of the best sail-ins in the Med (second to Venice and perhaps Istanbul). You can also tour other parts of the island easily -- Mdina the old capital is particularly pretty. There is a fishing village that is supposedly picturesque (Marsaxlokk) but I haven't been there.

Messina -- Most people usually go to Taormina from here, which is a charming town with a Greek theatre as a bonus. There's not as much in Messina itself.

Heraklion (also called Iraklion) -- Not a very charming town but has a wonderful archaeology museum of the Minoan civilization; also very close to Knossos, the famous Minoan city excavated by Arthur Evans. There was a recent post on this forum about someone going to the beach from here, perhaps you can do a search and locate it.

Corfu -- I wouldn't call Corfu a 'charming village' -- it's more of a 'charming city'. It's got a nice boulevard with shaded loggias where you can order up a coffee or other beverage and people watch after strolling the old city area. There's a lovely icon museum in town. Some go for a tour of the larger island; supposedly there is a nice beach or two but not reachable on foot.

Navplion: Another charming city that was the first capital of modern Greece. There's a castle at the top of the hill (a long walk if it's hot -- or even if it isn't). Not too much of note in the town itself, but it's a good jumping-off place to visit Mycenae (famous ruins associated with King Agamemnon of Trojan war fame) and Epidavros.

Can't help with Argostoli -- it's one port I've yet to visit.

Excellent notes! Sorry I can add anything to the 'missing' stops either,

I have a rare disagreement with Cruisemom...when it comes to Corfu. There is more to Corfu then Corfu Town....as it is a resort island. One can certainly spend their port day in the small city, but we simply enjoyed renting a car (right at the port) and driving the island. On two visits we have managed to drive around most of the island and its a pretty rural place with some nice quiet coves, hotels, resorts, etc.

As to Argostoli, this is an interesting place not visited by a lot of ships. It is actually a very large island with lots of natural beauty. My suggestion is to take some kind of expansive tour (whether private or cruise line) and see some of their beautiful beaches, the hidden lake (this is quite a site...but not for those with mobility problems), etc.

Malta is also an interesting island. For a first visit you can explore Valletta and go out to the old town of Mdna (you can do this cheaply using a local bus...or a taxi for more money). The island outside of these cities has its places of interest and there is a HoHo bus line that covers the far reaches of the island. One can also book (far in advance) to visit the Hypogeum....but not sure this is the best use of time for a first visit.

As to beaches, we do think that Mykonos has some of the nicer beaches (we like Paradise for a developed beach with facilities....and nearby Super Paradise for a less commercial beach. I should add that we have been underwhelmed by the beaches on the island of Corfu....although they do exist and are actually used as tourist destinations. Santorini actually has some decent beaches (we like Red Beach) but most first time visitors do not go to beaches as they tend to visit both Fira and Oia...and perhaps take in a winery.

Getting back to beaches, DW and I are beach people and live on a beach a few months a year. But beaches in Europe are generally not even in the same class as the fabulous beaches we have on the East Coast of the US.....or in the Caribbean. Out of all the islands mentioned, Mykonos would be our place of choice for a beach day. In fact, the last time we were in Mykonos we walked over to the bus station near the windmills...and took the local bus out to Paradise Beach...where we rented loungers. In mid-afternoon we bused back to town, spent some time browsing the shops...then had a drink on the harbor before heading back to our ship. Another option for Mykonos is to take a tour to the ruins at nearby Delos...which is fine if you like ruins :). But trying to cram in Delos plus beach plus shopping is a bit much for our style.

Hank

Despite being history nuts, we had the best day of our recent trip in Corfu. We banded together with some people from our roll call and chartered a boat (the Nautilus) to swim, eat, drink and enjoy the scenery. I'm not a beach person but it was a wonderful day, and for everyone else it was their fave. Let me know if you want more information.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have not been to Messina or Argostoli.

We did have a port stop in Malta and another in Catania. We liked Malta so much that we returned on a land trip for 10 days. Spent a few days in each of 3 places including Marsaxlokk. We very much enjoy our port day in Malta. Lots of choices.

Have not been to Messina but did three weeks in Sicily with several days in Taormina. We very much liked it but it may be a bit far just to go for a day trip.

Mykonos is nice but there are many nice Greek islands. And, like Santorini, it can be crowded at times. We have been there for a full day and for an evening. We actually preferred our evening stop.

Corfu is on our list to go back on a land trip. Looked very interesting to us.

Why not get a guide book from the library and do some research. Had to recommend something since everyone's interests are different.