Land Tour/Cruise - Radiance OTS - July 2018 - I have questions

TheShayQueen

We have selected to do the Pre Cruise Tour 1B for our first trip to Alaska and I have some questions to ask.

We usually travel to our destination a day ahead. The land tour states that Royal provides transportation from the Anchorage airport (ANC) to the hotel. This is probably a crazy question, but do we have to arrive the day of in order to use their transportation. Or are we able to meet them at the airport at a certain time?

Are there any nice hotels around ANC airport that you recommend?

Once the cruise is over, how far is the port to the Vancouver airport? Would you recommend cab or Uber (if they have it) to the airport?

Would you recommend booking flights this early and the trip isn't until next summer?

Any help I would appreciate. Thank you!

We were on a RCCL cruise tour and had a great time, we enjoyed it very much.

Our land portion was after the cruise, so I cannot answer your question about RCCL transfer to hotel. You may have to contact them.

We took a taxi from Vancouver airport to downtown hotel near the pier. It is not too far. I don't recall the fare but not unreasonable from what I remember.

I would think you could book flights now - usually airlines allow about 11 months in advance.

Have fun....

We did a land tour in 2013. We arrived a day before the cruise tour began.

We didn't find out our hotel until a month or so before. However as soon as hotel reservations opened I booked a room at the 3 hotels RCI used so I was sure we would have a room wherever they stayed. Once I knew the correct hotel I cancelled the other two.

The hotel had free shuttle. However we rented a car so that we could do the Riverboat Tour the next day and go to the Car Museum (wonderful) the next day.

Then we dropped the car and caught the shuttle back to the hotel.

It's a short 10 minutes from the very small airport to the hotels. We had a car rented in literally 5 minutes.

At Vancouver you can catch the Skytrain straight to the airport for very little money. It's about a 5-10 minute walk to the station. Or if preferred you can taxi or Uber.

There is a link in my signature with tons of info about the cruise tour including train times in case you want to book your own excursions during your stops.

The link to my blog has each day/stop in detail without all the cc comments if that's easier. Just search Alaska and there will be lots of posts about the trip.

Have a great time planning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We fly into Vancouver for our cruise then land post cruise. We are flying the day before and staying at the Marriott that is a 7 min walk to the cruise port. Not sure if we are walking it or not. I think we can decide after we get there for that detail.

Sorry just noticed you are leaving from Anchorage. We did the longer tour that left from Fairbanks. Therefore my response about small airport & 10 minutes to hotels obviously doesn't apply to your cruise tour.

We are on tour 5B right now. We also came into Anchorage a day early. Even though we were told ahead of time by Royal Caribbean that a transfer would not be provided to the hotel from the airport since we are coming in a day early, lo and behold who did we see at the airport near baggage claim, but a representative with a Royal Caribbean sign. We checked in with her, and confirmed that our names were on the Manifest.

They were wonderful at the airport, assisted us with our luggage, and took us on the shuttle bus to the hotel. The hotel that Royal Caribbean is using for our Land Tour is the Anchorage Marriott downtown. I am not certain as to whether they use any other hotels, but I can ask our tour director tomorrow morning for you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I forgot to add that the Royal Caribbean rep at the airport stated that they are there every day, whenever they know that somebody is arriving. We booked our air through Royal Caribbean, but you can also book it independently. If you book it independently, just let Royal Caribbean know your flight arrangements.

We did a land tour in 2013. We arrived a day before the cruise tour began.

We didn't find out our hotel until a month or so before. However as soon as hotel reservations opened I booked a room at the 3 hotels RCI used so I was sure we would have a room wherever they stayed. Once I knew the correct hotel I cancelled the other two.

The hotel had free shuttle. However we rented a car so that we could do the Riverboat Tour the next day and go to the Car Museum (wonderful) the next day.

Then we dropped the car and caught the shuttle back to the hotel.

It's a short 10 minutes from the very small airport to the hotels. We had a car rented in literally 5 minutes.

At Vancouver you can catch the Skytrain straight to the airport for very little money. It's about a 5-10 minute walk to the station. Or if preferred you can taxi or Uber.

The OP is not, talking about Fairbanks- which you are referencing. They are starting in Anchorage so, very different.

We have selected to do the Pre Cruise Tour 1B for our first trip to Alaska and I have some questions to ask.

We usually travel to our destination a day ahead. The land tour states that Royal provides transportation from the Anchorage airport (ANC) to the hotel. This is probably a crazy question, but do we have to arrive the day of in order to use their transportation. Or are we able to meet them at the airport at a certain time?

Once the cruise is over, how far is the port to the Vancouver airport? Would you recommend cab or Uber (if they have it) to the airport?

Would you recommend booking flights this early and the trip isn't until next summer?

Yes there are nice holels near Anc, BUT, it's a poor location to be, if you don't have a car. What is your reason for coming in early? Just to relax in a hotel, add a tour option? etc? Determing that - first- would give you a lot better planning direction.

In Vancouver I always use Skytrain, and did again, yesterday. Fare to YVR is $4.10ca, (I have a Compass Card which is cheaper) From YVR is $9.10ca

As for your "transportation", it will only be available to you on the day you have the RCI booking. So you would have to book your extra nights through them for transportation. Few downtown hotels have shuttles, more airport ones do. A poor priority to give however in my opinion. :)

The OP is not, talking about Fairbanks- which you are referencing. They are starting in Anchorage so, very different.

That is why I posted post #5 when I realized my error. I corrected it but too late to change the initial post. Thanks for pointing it out.

Sorry just noticed you are leaving from Anchorage. We did the longer tour that left from Fairbanks. Therefore my response about small airport & 10 minutes to hotels obviously doesn't apply to your cruise tour.

That's okay. I am sure that it will help someone else leaving from Fairbanks.

Thank you to all that have responded so far. Very helpful!

We are on tour 5B right now. We also came into Anchorage a day early. Even though we were told ahead of time by Royal Caribbean that a transfer would not be provided to the hotel from the airport since we are coming in a day early, lo and behold who did we see at the airport near baggage claim, but a representative with a Royal Caribbean sign. We checked in with her, and confirmed that our names were on the Manifest.

They were wonderful at the airport, assisted us with our luggage, and took us on the shuttle bus to the hotel. The hotel that Royal Caribbean is using for our Land Tour is the Anchorage Marriott downtown. I am not certain as to whether they use any other hotels, but I can ask our tour director tomorrow morning for you.

I forgot to add that the Royal Caribbean rep at the airport stated that they are there every day, whenever they know that somebody is arriving. We booked our air through Royal Caribbean, but you can also book it independently. If you book it independently, just let Royal Caribbean know your flight arrangements.

Nice! Enjoy your trip. And yes, our hotel for the land based tour is the Anchorage Marriott as well.

How many land days does tour 5B have?

Yes there are nice holels near Anc, BUT, it's a poor location to be, if you don't have a car. What is your reason for coming in early? Just to relax in a hotel, add a tour option? etc? Determing that - first- would give you a lot better planning direction.

In Vancouver I always use Skytrain, and did again, yesterday. Fare to YVR is $4.10ca, (I have a Compass Card which is cheaper) From YVR is $9.10ca

As for your "transportation", it will only be available to you on the day you have the RCI booking. So you would have to book your extra nights through them for transportation. Few downtown hotels have shuttles, more airport ones do. A poor priority to give however in my opinion. :)

For all of my previous cruises, we usually travel a day ahead just for peace of mind. I worry about flight cancellations, bad weather or flight delays that would cause us to miss the ship. Plus, it's relaxing to already be at our destination. The same would apply to Alaska.

How far is the Skytrain from the port?

This is not correct. As I stated above, Royal Caribbean is at the Anchorage airport every day, whenever they know they have a cruisetour guest coming in. We also arrived a day early and RCCL provided free transportation from the airport to our hotel. The key is to either book your air through RCCL or if you book air independently, let RCCL know your flights.

Nice! Enjoy your trip. And yes, our hotel for the land based tour is the Anchorage Marriott as well.

How many land days does tour 5B have?

The 5B is 5 nights. 1 in Anchorage, 1 in Talkeetna, 2 in Denali, and 1 in Alyeska/Girdwood. I chose it because I wanted one full day in Denali.

This is not correct. As I stated above, Royal Caribbean is at the Anchorage airport every day, whenever they know they have a cruisetour guest coming in. We also arrived a day early and RCCL provided free transportation from the airport to our hotel. The key is to either book your air through RCCL or if you book air independently, let RCCL know your flights.

We are probably going to book air independently, after deciding whether to come in a day ahead or the day of. I am so used to flying Southwest and being able to change flights, if needed, without any fees.....that it makes me nervous booking this far in advance with another airline :eek:. At least transportation is taken care of. Whew!

ShayQueen we also are sailing in July, Southbound Radiance of the Seas. We too have also picked 1B as our precruise tour. We sail July 20th and our tour starts July 17th. It would be funny if you were on the same "expedition" as us.

We always fly in the day before but for this trip we are flying in the same day as our tour starts, which is basically the overnight in Anchorage. The hotel I have been told is the downtown Marriott. Our flights leave Toronto at 8 am and fly to Vancouver and then connect with another flight to Anchorage. We have been told that there is a RC representative at the airport from 11am to 11:59pm every day that they are expecting guests. We arrive there at approximately 3pm. We will transfer with RC directly to the hotel, check in, find food, and flop down for a rest. We figure worst case scenario, if we happen to be a day late they will catch us up to the tour. It wouldn't be the first or the last time that this would happen in Alaska.

We booked our flights independently yesterday and since shore excursions are open we did them as well. As for the Vancouver the airport it is about 30 minutes from the cruise port.

I have been doing some research about the cruise port and they said taxis can have a long line, depending on how many other ships are at the pier. This year Radiance was the only ship on Fridays except for one at the beginning and end with of the season because ships were repositioning. When the port schedule comes out for next year I will think more about taxi, uber, car service to the airport.

Hope this helps a bit.

Andrew

ShayQueen we also are sailing in July, Southbound Radiance of the Seas. We too have also picked 1B as our precruise tour. We sail July 20th and our tour starts July 17th. It would be funny if you were on the same "expedition" as us.

We always fly in the day before but for this trip we are flying in the same day as our tour starts, which is basically the overnight in Anchorage. The hotel I have been told is the downtown Marriott. Our flights leave Toronto at 8 am and fly to Vancouver and then connect with another flight to Anchorage. We have been told that there is a RC representative at the airport from 11am to 11:59pm every day that they are expecting guests. We arrive there at approximately 3pm. We will transfer with RC directly to the hotel, check in, find food, and flop down for a rest. We figure worst case scenario, if we happen to be a day late they will catch us up to the tour. It wouldn't be the first or the last time that this would happen in Alaska.

We booked our flights independently yesterday and since shore excursions are open we did them as well. As for the Vancouver the airport it is about 30 minutes from the cruise port.

I have been doing some research about the cruise port and they said taxis can have a long line, depending on how many other ships are at the pier. This year Radiance was the only ship on Fridays except for one at the beginning and end with of the season because ships were repositioning. When the port schedule comes out for next year I will think more about taxi, uber, car service to the airport.

Hope this helps a bit.

Andrew

Aww man.....we sail July 6th and our tour starts July 3rd.

You did make a good point about flying in the day of for this particular trip, since we're heading straight to the hotel. I will check out flights and see what they have.

I took a peek at some of the shore excursions. So many to choose from. This is going to be such an amazing trip. I cannot wait!

This information has definitely helped me. Thank you so much!

Aww man.....we sail July 6th and our tour starts July 3rd.

You did make a good point about flying in the day of for this particular trip, since we're heading straight to the hotel. I will check out flights and see what they have.

I took a peek at some of the shore excursions. So many to choose from. This is going to be such an amazing trip. I cannot wait!

This information has definitely helped me. Thank you so much!

That would have been cool, but it goes that way. I am glad to help. I have subscribed to this thread and if I learn anything I will share it here with you. Lol, I have already found a place to have dinner in Anchorage. A great brew house that takes on-line booking approximately 3 months in advance, and is 3 block from the hotel.

The shore excursions are great. We booked them to "get in the door" but we might do them privatly if we find the same only cheaper. Right now the ones we have picked cost the same as another cruise, but it is for four in Alaska.:o

That would have been cool, but it goes that way. I am glad to help. I have subscribed to this thread and if I learn anything I will share it here with you. Lol, I have already found a place to have dinner in Anchorage. A great brew house that takes on-line booking approximately 3 months in advance, and is 3 block from the hotel.

The shore excursions are great. We booked them to "get in the door" but we might do them privatly if we find the same only cheaper. Right now the ones we have picked cost the same as another cruise, but it is for four in Alaska.:o

Yes, I've noticed that excursions can be a bit pricey....depending on which one is chosen. :eek:

And you found a dinner spot already? WOW....you sound like a great planner. Keep up the good work and share that information :D.

Yes, I've noticed that excursions can be a bit pricey....depending on which one is chosen. :eek:

And you found a dinner spot already? WOW....you sound like a great planner. Keep up the good work and share that information :D.

I will. I will either hit you up here or on your roll call.

Andrew