Grand Turk 1st time

Profix

we are cruising to grand Turk in October. We planned to go to governor beach and conch graveyard. I hear there is a ship wreck you can see. Is that at governor beach or elsewhere? Also how far of a walk is it?

Any other suggestions for 4 adults and 4 kids under 13?

Thanks

Unfortunately due to the hurricane it might be awhile before the ships stop there again. Might not be next month unfortunately. We were there a couple of times but stayed around the beach and Margaritaville right at the cruise port.

we are cruising to grand Turk in October. We planned to go to governor beach and conch graveyard. I hear there is a ship wreck you can see. Is that at governor beach or elsewhere? Also how far of a walk is it?

Any other suggestions for 4 adults and 4 kids under 13?

Thanks

Governors beach has the shipwreck. It is about a 1 mile walk from the ship. When facing the beach from the ship you can see the shipwreck if you look left. Just so you know, there is a pier between the ship and governors beach that will prevent you from walking the entire distance on the beach. You will have to walk up to the road at some point, pass the pier, then walk back to the beach.

We were just at Governors beach about 2 weeks ago. We ended up renting a golf cart from a man (he goes by the name Boogie) just outside the cruise center parking lot. We paid $60 for the rental and it was so worth it. Given that it was a very hot day, we didn't want to walk to Governors. When we arrived to the beach at about 9:30am we had the entire beach to ourselves! We spent about three hours there and in that time only two other people showed up. It's definitely the place to go if you're looking for a pristine beach away from the crowds. Just be aware that there are no amenities there other than restrooms.

IMG_1505123027.890501.jpg.f4bd8e16f4a9b496b5d1419a33ee3d25.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunately due to the hurricane it might be awhile before the ships stop there again. Might not be next month unfortunately. We were there a couple of times but stayed around the beach and Margaritaville right at the cruise port.

Per John Heald the port is open and ready to receive ships! [emoji4][emoji4]

Governors beach has the shipwreck. It is about a 1 mile walk from the ship. When facing the beach from the ship you can see the shipwreck if you look left. Just so you know' date=' there is a pier between the ship and governors beach that will prevent you from walking the entire distance on the beach. You will have to walk up to the road at some point, pass the pier, then walk back to the beach.

We were just at Governors beach about 2 weeks ago. We ended up renting a golf cart from a man (he goes by the name Boogie) just outside the cruise center parking lot. We paid $60 for the rental and it was so worth it. Given that it was a very hot day, we didn't want to walk to Governors. When we arrived to the beach at about 9:30am we had the entire beach to ourselves! We spent about three hours there and in that time only two other people showed up. It's definitely the place to go if you're looking for a pristine beach away from the crowds. Just be aware that there are no amenities there other than restrooms.

[ATTACH']410643[/ATTACH]

Govenor's Beach is without a doubt my favorite place. The food area closed and there are no more chairs. We were the only ones there last cruise. The taxi drivers try to talk you into Pillory Beach. Nice but nowhere as nice. Taxi pickup is set up with your driver, I usually worry that he won't return an the walk back in hot sun is not fun.

Definitely worth going. Enjoy, GT is an awesome port.

Governors beach has the shipwreck. It is about a 1 mile walk from the ship. When facing the beach from the ship you can see the shipwreck if you look left. Just so you know' date=' there is a pier between the ship and governors beach that will prevent you from walking the entire distance on the beach. You will have to walk up to the road at some point, pass the pier, then walk back to the beach.

We were just at Governors beach about 2 weeks ago. We ended up renting a golf cart from a man (he goes by the name Boogie) just outside the cruise center parking lot. We paid $60 for the rental and it was so worth it. Given that it was a very hot day, we didn't want to walk to Governors. When we arrived to the beach at about 9:30am we had the entire beach to ourselves! We spent about three hours there and in that time only two other people showed up. It's definitely the place to go if you're looking for a pristine beach away from the crowds. Just be aware that there are no amenities there other than restrooms. [/quote']

Thanks for this info! I had read someone else on the boards about Governor's Beach and looking forward to checking it out! I'm assuming the golf-cart is a daily rental? Do you know if they have 4-seater golf carts?

Thanks for this info! I had read someone else on the boards about Governor's Beach and looking forward to checking it out! I'm assuming the golf-cart is a daily rental? Do you know if they have 4-seater golf carts?

Yes to both. It was a full day rental and it was a 4-seater. Driver and front passenger faced forward, 2 rear passengers face backward.

Just my opinion here but, if you plan to have rear passengers tell them to hold on tight when you first hit the gas. There can be a bit of a jerking motion that could be dangerous to someone sitting back there that didn't expect it and wasn't holding on.

Edited by Party.of.4.NY>>>FL

• 1 month later...
First time going to GT also. I am on Holland and there is only one port there right?

Yes, there's only one cruise pier. It can accommodate two ships at once, but reportedly Grand Turk is only accepting one ship each day due to hurricane damage.

I will be walking to Governor beach and check out the ship wreck for fun. Is there any other free things to do? Thanks.

Yes, the beach loungers to the left of the pier (in front of Margaritaville) are all free to use, as are the loungers by the big pool at Margaritaville. Some are shaded and some are open.

I believe there are also free loungers on the other, quieter side of the pier.

The free loungers are marked with "GTCC" (for Grand Turk Cruise Center) as I recall.