Can anyone help with ideas for spinal stenosis?

Vacationlover01

My mom, aunt, cousin, and I have a 7 day cruise in April to the Key West, Nassau, Freeport on the Carnival Freedom. My mom was recently diagnosed with lumbar spinal stenosis. I've watched her just in the last year go from a very active and mobile person to someone that can barely stand up straight and has significant pain if she does more than very light activity. This will be her first cruise and I am terrified it won't end well. We have discussed getting her a caine and a walker with a seat to help with walking but I am at a loss for what else can be done to make the travel tolerable and fun for her. Any other suggestions?

Thank you very much.

I would suggest she talk with a spinal surgeon if she is in too much pain. My second back operation where it was fused and screwed ( the doctor hates that description) worked for 10 years. I would allow 6 weeks to recover from the surgery before the cruise, if she goes that route.

Thanks for the reply. Haven't yet really considered the wc or scooter because she's not "ready for that" yet. I'm trying to gently let it work in how much help she may need. It's still a new experience for her, all this difficulty so it's taking time to set in that she needs more help. I just don't want her to really admit it once it is too late. I've discussed surgery as well. She knows it will become needed but states she's not yet ready for that either. She can't walk around a block at this time, so I may have to keep pushing and try to get her to think more about the scooter.

i would definitely rent a scooter for her. if she doesn't want a scooter then

rent a wheelchair but make sure you get a gel pad for the seat.

I was on a land tour in august (using a scooter) and the pain was so bad all I wanted to do was go home. When I returned home i went to my neurosurgeon. When I told him I had two cruises scheduled for November and December he told me to cancel them.

I am not a candidate for surgery so I am scheduled to meet with the pain

management people to see what can be done. Hopefully my cruising days

aren't over.

DH has advanced stenosis and is in constant pain when standing. We've rented scooters for the last two years when on vacation and he loves the freedom it brings. In May we cruised to Bermuda on Veendam. Even though it's a small ship he never would have been able to enjoy the cruise without the scooter. Ships have long hallways. If you rent a scooter be sure you have a wheelchair accessible cabin, as scooters have to be kept in your cabin. If you'll be flying to the cruise, ask for wheelchair assistance so that she won't gave to stand in long security lines. You can also request wheelchair assistance at the cruise terminal through the cruise line.

What ever she decides will work best, have a great cruise!

Thanks for the reply. Haven't yet really considered the wc or scooter because she's not "ready for that" yet. I'm trying to gently let it work in how much help she may need. It's still a new experience for her, all this difficulty so it's taking time to set in that she needs more help. I just don't want her to really admit it once it is too late. I've discussed surgery as well. She knows it will become needed but states she's not yet ready for that either. She can't walk around a block at this time, so I may have to keep pushing and try to get her to think more about the scooter.

Perplexed as to how you can say she's not ready for wc or scooter when you state in the original post "I've watched her just in the last year go from a very active and mobile person to someone that can barely stand up straight and has significant pain if she does more than very light activity."

My doctor explains it very well by saying that people often look at the use of a wheelchair or scooter as giving in. Instead use of such equipment should be considered a symptom management tool. By not using a wc or scooter prohibits one from doing things they enjoy than they are just denying themselves of the many great adventures and memorial times with family & friends.

I refused help long after I should have....safety becomes a major issue when your parts don't function like they should....using a scooter on the ship restored my independence as well as allowing my husband to go off and enjoy his activities not worrying that I had been injured in his absence .....

The ports you listed could be enjoyed on a scooter......maybe a gentle intervention could help....everyone admires a strong and independent mother but safety is really the most important thing....

To xxoocruiser, I guess I should have written it more clearly. I do not mean that I think she's not ready for the scooter or WC. She has said herself "I'm not ready," meant in the emotional sense. She hasn't yet come to the mental grips of how she has deteriorated and the idea that she no longer has full capacity. We've had a few Frank discussions this week and I think she will lean that way (the idea of using a scooter). She will be seeing her ortho next week for a follow up so I am hoping this will also help with opening the dialogue.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think we are moving in the right direction. This week she, for the first time was unable to attend one of my children's school functions due to her mobility issues which I feel has really weighed on her. She's beginning to see and understand more of how much her daily life is being and will continue to be effected by her stenosis. Hopefully we will keep moving on and upward.

To xxoocruiser, I guess I should have written it more clearly. I do not mean that I think she's not ready for the scooter or WC. She has said herself "I'm not ready," meant in the emotional sense. She hasn't yet come to the mental grips of how she has deteriorated and the idea that she no longer has full capacity. We've had a few Frank discussions this week and I think she will lean that way (the idea of using a scooter). She will be seeing her ortho next week for a follow up so I am hoping this will also help with opening the dialogue.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think we are moving in the right direction. This week she, for the first time was unable to attend one of my children's school functions due to her mobility issues which I feel has really weighed on her. She's beginning to see and understand more of how much her daily life is being and will continue to be effected by her stenosis. Hopefully we will keep moving on and upward.

Good luck to you and your family. If a scooter will help, it is a much better alternative than surgery. IMHO surgery is only when you can't stand the pain in any position.

You might consider finding a local medical supply source that rents or

sells them. She'd be able to try one out and get a feel for how it will help her. Most standard size rentals onboard are Pride GoGo Elite Travelers that break down and can fit into the trunk of a car or cab. Before our recent cruise rental we visited our local supplier and they gladly provided a refresher on how to take it apart and put it back together.

An idea of a way to put it to her that she might be accepting of is this; if she could not see clearly or hear well, what would she do? She would get a tool in the form of glasses or hearing aids. A scooter is just a tool to help her be able to do more and be more comfortable doing it! If she looks at it like that, then she might change her mind.

Many people have this issue of thinking that once they start using wheelchairs and scooters, that they are in them the rest of their lives. Doesn't have to be that way. I use a scooter and when I feel like I want to walk some, someone else rides the scooter for a while. I have needed one for the last 8 years and I am only 47. Try using the idea too, that you will ride it if she feels like walking, but it will be there when she is ready for a rest.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have severe Spinal Stenosis that came on suddenly after a ruptured disk. I have numerous other back issues and 2 neuro surgeons have said no surgery. This all happened 3 years ago.

We took a cruise on the Brilliance of the seas in an Aft cabin. Big mistake. Next cruise on the Allure of the Seas we had a cabin by the elevator and I brought a light weight walker with a seat. Not perfect but MUCH better. On the next 2 cruises also brought the walker and reserved cabins by the aft elevators.

Neither my husband or I can lift anything and more then 8-10 pounds. I've tried scooters at Publix but not too good. I'm going to keep practicing.

If we do get a Jr. suite or a handicapped cabin, I will try a rental scooter next.

As you can read, we haven't stopped cruising.:o

I am just like your aunt. Back pain and bad knees but a wheel chair scared me and embarrassed me. I just stay home, order groceries, etc. We just got back from a cruise and hubby insisted we take a transport chair. That chair saved me. The walking to embark and debark alone would have been impossible. And I was not embarrassed. We came home and I realized I am too young (67) to just sit home and have ordered an electric wheel chair (Geo Cruiser) in bright red that folds up and can go in the car trunk. Next stop Disneyland with the grandkids.

I am just like your aunt. Back pain and bad knees but a wheel chair scared me and embarrassed me. I just stay home, order groceries, etc. We just got back from a cruise and hubby insisted we take a transport chair. That chair saved me. The walking to embark and debark alone would have been impossible. And I was not embarrassed. We came home and I realized I am too young (67) to just sit home and have ordered an electric wheel chair (Geo Cruiser) in bright red that folds up and can go in the car trunk. Next stop Disneyland with the grandkids.

Was the transport chair easily pushed while on the ship? Did the carpet make it difficult? What size wheels on your transport chair? Thinking about buying one for my husband but just not sure. Thanks for your help.

My husband didn't have any trouble pushing the chair. The only inconvenience was sometimes not enough room to get past the stewards cart in the hallway - I would get out and collapse it in - then I would push until clear of that. Also had to collapse it to get in the room.

• 2 weeks later...

Please rent a little scooter for a week or so at home for your Mom to try. I'll bet she'll be happy with her found again independence. I took my Mom on a cruise and she, too, insisted that her walker would be fine........no matter how I tried to tell her of the long distances on a ship. We went on a cruise, had a cabin right by an elevator, which went right down to the dining room. She couldn't go anywhere else.....it was too painful. I felt so badly for her. She bought herself a little scooter shortly after we returned home. She had fun decorating it for different holidays and zipped around as happy as could be! By the way if you do rent a wheelchair instead, try not to get a transport chair with the little wheels. They are very difficult to push over acres of carpeting, and the person sitting in them cannot move an inch without a pusher. I got parked at a rack of woolen clothing once while my husband was shopping and wandering about the department. I thought I'd melt it was so hot, and I could not move myself.....it was awful!

I have had 4 back surgeries none of which helped with the spinal stenosis. One of my discs was so ruptured I could only walk with a limp. The surgeries were all done in 1992, 1993 and two in 1994. The neurosurgeon said that the only thing that would help me in the future would be a spinal fusion. It's been 23 years and I'm starting to feel some changes in my spine.

I am putting the surgery off as long as I can and am using a walker with a seat and back rest. I used to use a "granny cart", it held all my stuff for travel and didn't look so obvious as a walker [the walker always reminded me of something that only weak/old people used.] Well, I'm feeling weak and am getting older [thank goodness!] I still work a full time job but am being much more careful about what I carry around the office. Being onboard a cruise is much different than being in an office setting.

I purchased the walker at Amazon and it's amazing. I bought a cup holder and installed it on the front. The seat lifts up so I can use it for storage or holding my purse. It has dual wheels on the front and larger wheels on the back. It's so helpful while still allowing me to walk and remain sure footed. If I get tired, I sit down, rest and then move on. It still has to be folded to fit through the doorways of a regular cabin but it's very easy to do. I can easily lift it to put it into the trunk of my SUV, without folding it up.

As long as I can stand up and walk [with the aid of this walker I will.] When I cruise I put all my hand carried luggage on the seat and wheel right along. It allows me to remain independent and cruise as a solo.

That said, if I had to use a wheelchair, I would have to have someone along with me and probably could not be a solo cruiser. If the wheelchair is the only way I could remain cruising I would do it!

As long as your Mom can walk, I say try a sturdy, well-made walker and see if that doesn't make a significant difference before going to a wheelchair or mobility device.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

i would definitely rent a scooter for her. if she doesn't want a scooter then

rent a wheelchair but make sure you get a gel pad for the seat.

I was on a land tour in august (using a scooter) and the pain was so bad all I wanted to do was go home. When I returned home i went to my neurosurgeon. When I told him I had two cruises scheduled for November and December he told me to cancel them.

I am not a candidate for surgery so I am scheduled to meet with the pain

management people to see what can be done. Hopefully my cruising days

aren't over.

I leave on a cruise this coming Saturday on the Summit and I am starting to have real concerns. I also have spinal stenosis in both the Lumbar and Cervical areas. I was diagnosed about 2.5 months ago when I got the MRI's due to increased pain for my herniated disks and nerve damage.

My GP is totally against all back surgery with the exception of severe cases but wanted me to see a surgeon. He did not think I was a candidate because I could still function normally , albeit the pain. So I went to the Pain Management Doctor that he recommended.

What a mistake. On November 9th he convinced me to get a epidural.

Now I can barely stand up, am in constant pain and using my heating pad constantly. My concern is that I wake up at all hours of the night in pain and I am afraid that I will ruin this cruise for my husband. This will be his first cruise.

I have looked over the deck plans repeatedly looking for a public area I can go to if I wake up at 2am and want coffee so not to disturb DH with the knocking of room service and can find none.

We are booked on the Summit next Oct for a 14 day NE/Canada cruise and the only cabin they had available was an Concierge that was not accessible and I took it.

Now I think I have made a huge mistake.

Oh, I did rent a standard scooter when we booked in the summer but that was when my only issue was standing for long periods or walking long distances. Thanks to the epidural that made me 10x worse I am going to upgrade today to a bariatric scooter if it is available. Their seats look more suitable for my needs.

I leave on a cruise this coming Saturday on the Summit and I am starting to have real concerns. I also have spinal stenosis in both the Lumbar and Cervical areas. I was diagnosed about 2.5 months ago when I got the MRI's due to increased pain for my herniated disks and nerve damage.

My GP is totally against all back surgery with the exception of severe cases but wanted me to see a surgeon. He did not think I was a candidate because I could still function normally , albeit the pain. So I went to the Pain Management Doctor that he recommended.

What a mistake. On November 9th he convinced me to get a epidural.

Now I can barely stand up, am in constant pain and using my heating pad constantly. My concern is that I wake up at all hours of the night in pain and I am afraid that I will ruin this cruise for my husband. This will be his first cruise.

I have looked over the deck plans repeatedly looking for a public area I can go to if I wake up at 2am and want coffee so not to disturb DH with the knocking of room service and can find none.

We are booked on the Summit next Oct for a 14 day NE/Canada cruise and the only cabin they had available was an Concierge that was not accessible and I took it.

Now I think I have made a huge mistake.

Oh, I did rent a standard scooter when we booked in the summer but that was when my only issue was standing for long periods or walking long distances. Thanks to the epidural that made me 10x worse I am going to upgrade today to a bariatric scooter if it is available. Their seats look more suitable for my needs.

I'm so sorry your pain treatment wasn't successful. Have you gone back to the pain center? They may be able to help you. This is an unusual result. If you feel you can't go back to the same doctor, go to someone else in the group.

As to your question, coffee is usually available in the buffet area of a ship all night. You could go to that area. Getting in and out of your cabin on a scooter might be a challenge without someone to hold the door. You should also have something to take at night for the pain.

My husband has spinal stenosis and limited mobility (balance issue). We have a rollator walker with seat for him to use. With the ships as large as they are now, we are thinking about renting a scooter for our next cruise. I finally convinced him it would be much easier and he would enjoy the cruise more. I inquired with Special Needs at Sea about scooter rental and they will deliver the scooter to the ship for you and then you leave it. In some departure ports they have Kiosks and will bring the scooter to you and you can embark and debark the ship with it. It's worth a phone call to get information. You will need to have an accessible cabin though and you need to book early and sometimes they are already gone.

Theresa

Yes, my scooter is coming from Special Needs at Sea. They have been great about it.

Someone mentioned having someone to open the door to the cabin for me. This is my first time on Celebrity. On my Alaskan cruise I took last year (by myself) I had an automatic door that swung open after inserting my card. Hubby and I do not intend to be joined at the hip this cruise so I think I need to call celebrity and check.

I go back to the Pain Mgt Dr on the 14th, 2 days after I return. I called them yesterday and they told me to add Gabapentin to my daily meds of Relafen and Tramadol, 3x a day. Normally I take 2 Gabapentin just at night.

The muscle spasms in my legs are so awful, if this were not my husbands first cruise I would cancel. It took me forever to convince him to go. He was a Submariner in the Navy so he said his traveling days were over, but knock on wood, I hope he enjoys himself.

I am going to look into surgery after the holidays I have the Laser Center reviewing my MRI's now, their Dr is calling me on Dec 15th to chat about it.

Wish me luck, 2 more days and we are off.

Yes, my scooter is coming from Special Needs at Sea. They have been great about it.

Someone mentioned having someone to open the door to the cabin for me. This is my first time on Celebrity. On my Alaskan cruise I took last year (by myself) I had an automatic door that swung open after inserting my card. Hubby and I do not intend to be joined at the hip this cruise so I think I need to call celebrity and check.

I go back to the Pain Mgt Dr on the 14th, 2 days after I return. I called them yesterday and they told me to add Gabapentin to my daily meds of Relafen and Tramadol, 3x a day. Normally I take 2 Gabapentin just at night.

The muscle spasms in my legs are so awful, if this were not my husbands first cruise I would cancel. It took me forever to convince him to go. He was a Submariner in the Navy so he said his traveling days were over, but knock on wood, I hope he enjoys himself.

I am going to look into surgery after the holidays I have the Laser Center reviewing my MRI's now, their Dr is calling me on Dec 15th to chat about it.

Wish me luck, 2 more days and we are off.

Have a wonderful cruise.