Can you walk into Skagway from where NCLdocks

thescot1234

Skagway is small, and right on the water, so you'll already pretty much be in town when you dock ;)

The train isn't the main thing, just one of the things. We'll be going on a few hiking trails personally, the train is extremely expensive (we could go coast to coast on Amtrak for less than they want).

Some people stay in town, some drive up the Yukon Highway into Canada, some do the other activities (sled dogs, salmon bake, gold panning, etc).

Skagway is small, and right on the water, so you'll already pretty much be in town when you dock ;)

The train isn't the main thing, just one of the things. We'll be going on a few hiking trails personally, the train is extremely expensive (we could go coast to coast on Amtrak for less than they want).

Some people stay in town, some drive up the Yukon Highway into Canada, some do the other activities (sled dogs, salmon bake, gold panning, etc).

Thanks for the input.

We did the White Pass combo trip (passenger bus to the Yukon and return trip on the train). Worth every penny because the scenery is so beautiful!

Did see that tour via NCL. It appears to be around 9 hours long. Did you have anytime to see the town of Skagway afterwards?

We have been to Skagway a number of times while on Alaska cruises, and I suspect we have docked at every option in that small town. Unless someone has severe mobility issues it is very easy to walk from any of the docking locations into the town proper. And each time we have been there a shuttle is available for those who can't or don't want to walk.

Did see that tour via NCL. It appears to be around 9 hours long. Did you have anytime to see the town of Skagway afterwards?[/qu

I always used Chilkookcharters for my train/van tour. It was less expensive, more personal and used a smaller van for it passengers. The ship will use a larger grayhound bus to get it's much larger group to get back to Skagway. We only had about 10 people on our tour. It was a very nice tour. I don't know if it was because we were a smaller group or not but yes we had time to do some shopping in Skagway after the tour and get to the ship in time. I don't know about that if you use the ship tour.

We loved our bus/train ride to the Yukon with Chillkoot! So worth what we spent. My husband loved it, and our driver was very personable and had great stories.

Skagway itself is small. If you have kids, make sure to go to the National park station so your young one can get a Junior Ranger badge. It is a nice little center, and very nice folks working there.

Did see that tour via NCL. It appears to be around 9 hours long. Did you have anytime to see the town of Skagway afterwards?

No time for shopping in town. Matter of fact, we were the last ones back to the ship. Good thing we bought the tour through NCL or we might've been left behind!

Will be on a Alaskan cruise in a few days. I have a quick question about where the NCL Pearl docks. Is it possible to walk into Skagway from the dock? From videos it looks like the WhitePass train is next to the ship. Is this the main thing that people do?

I'll be on the same sailing. NCL Pearl is scheduled at the Broadway dock. It's the most convenient/closest to the main street (Broadway) in Skagway. You can see straight down Broadway from the front upper decks on the ship. The train pulls up to the front of the ship whereas as the train pulls up parallel to ship at the Railroad dock which is a bit farther from town.

The link in post #6 has a good map of the three docks.

I'll be on the same sailing. NCL Pearl is scheduled at the Broadway dock. It's the most convenient/closest to the main street (Broadway) in Skagway. You can see straight down Broadway from the front upper decks on the ship. The train pulls up to the front of the ship whereas as the train pulls up parallel to ship at the Railroad dock which is a bit farther from town.

The link in post #6 has a good map of the three docks.

That is good news that we will be docked at the closet pier. Still deciding on what tours to do. Will book when we get on ship and let the girlfriend decide. She doesn't like the cold so we may have to do something like the train.

On our cruise in August, for Skagway, we booked a train trip through Alaska shore excursions dot com. They have a Skagway White Pass Railroad Summit Excursion that is only 3.5 hours long. You meet at the station, show your confirmation there and pick up your tickets there. It was super easy and the trip was wonderful. We had more than enough time to make it back to the ship for lunch and even plan an afternoon gold-panning excursion. The train ride is $122 per adult and I highly recommend it.

Using information obtained from the internet, we bought an all-day pass on the local Smart Bus and hopped off at the railroad terminus. From there it was less than a mile walk to the Gold Rush Cemetery. Here, scattered amongst the trees were a number of late 1800 graves, including the notoriously evil Soapy Smith and his killer (the town hero) Frank Reid. At the back of the cemetery was a trail to the lovely Lower Reid Falls.

Returning to Skagway, we visited theNational Park Gold Rush Museum and took their ranger-led hour walking tour. Thetown has a unique chapter in America’shistory and was well-worth our time.