Capilano Suspension Bridge Park Review

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for posting the pictures and descriptions. You mentioned you had a tour guide. Is it necessary to book a guide or can the park be done on our own? Also is the Tree top adventure that you mentioned included with the ticket? Does it involve zip lining? Or is it just more bridges and/or paths to walk? Thanks! We plan on visiting this next year and we'll have a 10 year old with us.

Edited by Cheryl H

Thank you for posting the pictures and descriptions. You mentioned you had a tour guide. Is it necessary to book a guide or can the park be done on our own? Also is the Tree top adventure that you mentioned included with the ticket? Does it involve zip lining? Or is it just more bridges and/or paths to walk? Thanks! We plan on visiting this next year and we'll have a 10 year old with us.

You can do this on your own. No need for a guide and yes everything is included in the price. We went there after our cruise in September and spent about 3 hours or longer walking through the park. It is a must visit for Vancouver!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

There is no ziplining, but there are bridges between the treetops that are pretty cool.

• 1 month later...

It too enjoy the bridge attraction. The biggest mistake I've seen is people crossing the bridge and not realising there are two other attractions on the West side.

• Treetop adventures
  • Cliff Hanger Walk

There's also the new Cliffwalk that recently opened on the East side.

If anyone is there in December, the bridge is really kewl with Xmas lights...

http://www.capbridge.com/gallery/canyon-lights/

• 2 weeks later...

Im going to Vancouver in June and plan to visit Capillano and Grouse Mt. (I've been to Vancouver before) I really enjoyed pictures posted by both pp...I am really nervous about this since I have a problem with thing like winding mountain roads, although heights don't usually both me, it's not being able to see what's in front of me that brings on panic...so, how scary is the suspension bridge? how long does it take to walk across it for an average person? do you have to cross it twice?

Other question is about getting from airport to Westin Bayshore. There will be 4 of us with luggage for a 10 day train trip....and one has trouble walkiing distances on uneven terrain...i saw an add for "limojetgold" or "gold jet limo" and they haven't returned my call as yet. Are they reliable? Is the taxi/limo fare per person or per car load? I have taken taxis and limos in several cities and most of the time it's per car, but I have been in places where it's per person.

Im going to Vancouver in June and plan to visit Capillano and Grouse Mt. (I've been to Vancouver before) I really enjoyed pictures posted by both pp...I am really nervous about this since I have a problem with thing like winding mountain roads, although heights don't usually both me, it's not being able to see what's in front of me that brings on panic...so, how scary is the suspension bridge? how long does it take to walk across it for an average person? do you have to cross it twice?

Other question is about getting from airport to Westin Bayshore. There will be 4 of us with luggage for a 10 day train trip....and one has trouble walkiing distances on uneven terrain...i saw an add for "limojetgold" or "gold jet limo" and they haven't returned my call as yet. Are they reliable? Is the taxi/limo fare per person or per car load? I have taken taxis and limos in several cities and most of the time it's per car, but I have been in places where it's per person.

On the bridge front it's about 450 feet long - you really can't stride along like you would on a sidewalk but if all you did was walk across rather than pause for photos/to enjoy the view, maybe two or three minutes to cross? You do have to come back over it again - here's a map (the Satellite version is almost entirely covered by trees) - to get back out of the park. Attractions are split on both sides, but no refunds/discounts for folks who miss the stuff on the other side because they're too feart tae cross!

At over 200 feet above the river below it is scary to a lot of folks - personally it's the random vibration caused by other people that freaks me out; it's easy to walk across by yourself but that's rarely the case as it's a popular attraction. The new Cliffwalk is rigid so that's fine by me - the treetop walks are more bouncy than the bridge though.

As to the limo question - there is only one company with a license to operate walk-up limos out of YVR, Aerocar. Other limos can come get you if pre-booked I believe, but I've never heard of Jetgold/goldjet. There are also statutory minimum prices on limos which are actually being enforced now (so as to effectively prevent Uber operating) of $75 an hour, 1 hour minimum.

Rather than put your faith in an unknown company to come get you, not overcharge for waiting if your flight is late, fail to get you at all or anything else, I would recommend not booking anything - once you're on the ground, just walk to the limo queue (or taxi queue - with a 10 person group you'll get split between two limos anyway and 3 cabs will be significantly cheaper and just as fast) and join it - there will be someone to direct you.

Rate for all official transport out of YVR are fixed per car - prices here for limos, here for cabs, both based on where your destination is. To the Westin Bayshore it's $66+5%+Gratuity per 6 pax limo or $35+Gratuity per cab (tax is already included in rates) - so $105 for 3 cabs or ~$140 for 2 limos plus tip (you're just about at the tip of the Canada Place zone).

I was at the Cap bridge just before Christmas and took in the festive light display - I posted a link on my Facebook page of me crossing the bridge - while it was night it should give you an indication of what is will be like to cross it - it was also very busy when I crossed - I have crossed it other times when they have been few people on it - yes you have to re-cross to get back to the entrance.

Here's the link:

This was taken on my return back to the entrance.

Hope this helps and Cheers!

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

For those seeking more elevation thrills around Vancouver....

• Capilano's elevation is about 70 meters
  • newly opened near Squamish is the Sky Pilot Suspension Bridge where I think it's 885 meters up.
    http://www.seatoskygondola.com/

2700 feet????? No thanks, think I'll have to miss this one. (It's the big yellow streak down my back, keeps getting in the way) :D

I was at the Cap bridge just before Christmas and took in the festive light display - I posted a link on my Facebook page of me crossing the bridge - while it was night it should give you an indication of what is will be like to cross it - it was also very busy when I crossed - I have crossed it other times when they have been few people on it - yes you have to re-cross to get back to the entrance.

Here's the link:

This was taken on my return back to the entrance.

Hope this helps and Cheers!

Dennis

Hi Dennis: Thanks for helping with SO!! I tried to open your link, but it "was unavailable". Don't know what that means, but with FB who knows.

On the bridge front it's about 450 feet long - you really can't stride along like you would on a sidewalk but if all you did was walk across rather than pause for photos/to enjoy the view, maybe two or three minutes to cross? You do have to come back over it again - here's a map (the Satellite version is almost entirely covered by trees) - to get back out of the park. Attractions are split on both sides, but no refunds/discounts for folks who miss the stuff on the other side because they're too feart tae cross!

At over 200 feet above the river below it is scary to a lot of folks - personally it's the random vibration caused by other people that freaks me out; it's easy to walk across by yourself but that's rarely the case as it's a popular attraction. The new Cliffwalk is rigid so that's fine by me - the treetop walks are more bouncy than the bridge though.

As to the limo question - there is only one company with a license to operate walk-up limos out of YVR, Aerocar. Other limos can come get you if pre-booked I believe, but I've never heard of Jetgold/goldjet. There are also statutory minimum prices on limos which are actually being enforced now (so as to effectively prevent Uber operating) of $75 an hour, 1 hour minimum.

Rather than put your faith in an unknown company to come get you, not overcharge for waiting if your flight is late, fail to get you at all or anything else, I would recommend not booking anything - once you're on the ground, just walk to the limo queue (or taxi queue - with a 10 person group you'll get split between two limos anyway and 3 cabs will be significantly cheaper and just as fast) and join it - there will be someone to direct you.

Rate for all official transport out of YVR are fixed per car - prices here for limos, here for cabs, both based on where your destination is. To the Westin Bayshore it's $66+5%+Gratuity per 6 pax limo or $35+Gratuity per cab (tax is already included in rates) - so $105 for 3 cabs or ~$140 for 2 limos plus tip (you're just about at the tip of the Canada Place zone).

We're

thanks so much for the good information! we're only 4 in our group so 1 limo should be enough. I will contact Aerocar for a quote and then forward info to our friends about the line. A 6 pax limo will be fine. I thought hotel was "centrally" located on the river across from the park or is that "hotel speak"?

"it "was unavailable". Don't know what that means,"

It might mean that I have it set for friends only and not the general public - I will check the setting - another I can get you to view it is to put in on my blog which I will do shortly.

I will post a link once i have it uploaded.

Cheers!

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

We're

thanks so much for the good information! we're only 4 in our group so 1 limo should be enough. I will contact Aerocar for a quote and then forward info to our friends about the line. A 6 pax limo will be fine. I thought hotel was "centrally" located on the river across from the park or is that "hotel speak"?

My bad - you mentioned 10 days, not 10 people, in your original post.

Anywhere downtown Vancouver is centrally located - it's small. But 'on the river' is weird terminology. I can't recall anyone in Vancouver ever describing the water on either side of downtown as a river - on the side the Westin's on I think everyone locally would say Coal Harbour... Here's a zoomed-out Google map so you can see for yourself.

As to getting a quote from Aerocar - don't bother. They'll happily quote you a scheduled pickup at YVR but that incurs a fee of $50 for a 'meet and greet' on top of the posted rates. The rates I linked to above are fixed rates locked in as a special exemption from the provincial limo statutory minimum rates of $75 an hour, minimum 1 hour - they cannot be changed. Not even sure if they're available for scheduled pickups, or if they only apply to walk-up rates - we've only ever used the service as a walk-up (which is probably quicker than a scheduled pickup anyway as your scheduled limo is not allowed to wait at the curb).

Oh, and the Sky Pilot suspension bridge is at an *altitude* of 885 metres above sea level - not sure what the drop below it is, but considering it's over a sloping side of the mountain the apparent height could be much less than Capilano...

Edited by martincath

My bad - you mentioned 10 days, not 10 people, in your original post.

Anywhere downtown Vancouver is centrally located - it's small. But 'on the river' is weird terminology. I can't recall anyone in Vancouver ever describing the water on either side of downtown as a river - on the side the Westin's on I think everyone locally would say Coal Harbour... Here's a zoomed-out Google map so you can see for yourself.

As to getting a quote from Aerocar - don't bother. They'll happily quote you a scheduled pickup at YVR but that incurs a fee of $50 for a 'meet and greet' on top of the posted rates. The rates I linked to above are fixed rates locked in as a special exemption from the provincial limo statutory minimum rates of $75 an hour, minimum 1 hour - they cannot be changed. Not even sure if they're available for scheduled pickups, or if they only apply to walk-up rates - we've only ever used the service as a walk-up (which is probably quicker than a scheduled pickup anyway as your scheduled limo is not allowed to wait at the curb).

Oh, and the Sky Pilot suspension bridge is at an *altitude* of 885 metres above sea level - not sure what the drop below it is, but considering it's over a sloping side of the mountain the apparent height could be much less than Capilano...

"on the river" were my words not hotel's! Since LI is surrounded by water, we tend to make distinctions as to ocean, bay, sound or river! I did get a quote from AeroCar but I actually spoke to someone from Star Limo who was lovely giving me lots of useful information about restaurants and the area of our hotel (she called it Coal Harbor) and told me NOT to use Aero because most of their cars are independently owned..I also was put off by the reviews on them....5 reviews...all bad..... from surly, rude drivers to broken down wreck to driver didn't know the city to rate charged was double what they quoted. I haven't booked yet, waiting for other couple's input, but I'm pushing for Star because their representative was so helpful. Thank you for the map, it put me at ease as to location.

BTW, 885 metres means nothing to me...I'm American, we don't conform to the rest of the world!!!! :D:D

2700 feet????? No thanks, think I'll have to miss this one. (It's the big yellow streak down my back, keeps getting in the way) :D

Here's a video of the crossing...

If you want to skip the bridge, there's a trail you can walk around the drop.