POA port assistance

Luvs2trvl

Family members will be sailing on the POA in October and I'm trying to find some information regarding embarkation day.

I have read some posts that says porters are available with luggage but other said no porters. Can someone who has recently sailed let me know? The group will certainly need help with luggage.

The second concern is wheelchair assistance. One traveler will need assistance from the curb, through check in and to the room. She cannot stand or walk for long periods of time.

Is there port or POA staff available at or near the curb?

Thank you -

This from the NCL website:

"Important Information for Guests with Special Needs

The fun and excitement of Freestyle cruising should be able to be enjoyed by everyone. That's why we are committed to providing all of our guests the freedom of choice to cruise your way.

In order to accomplish that goal, Norwegian Cruise Line has a seasoned group of cruise professionals who are specifically trained to meet your needs through our dedicated toll free number for accessible travel (866-584-9756). Norwegian Cruise Line's team of Access Coordinators at the Access Desk have experience in furthering Norwegian Cruise Line's mission to provide a safe and accessible cruise experience for all guests with special requirements to the extent that is feasible. The Access Desk Coordinators will discuss with you your needs and expectations for your cruising experience. You or your travel agent will be contacted so that we can try to meet your needs prior to your cruise as soon as we receive your Special Accommodation Requirements Information form available from our Access Desk. Norwegian Cruise Line has Access Officers who will be the primary go to person for all of your needs.

In order to make your cruise experience as enjoyable as possible and so that we can try to meet your specific needs, call 1-866-584-9756 (voice), fax (305) 468-2171, send an email to accessdesk@ncl.com or have your travel agent contact us".

Hope this helps. Bon voyage!

Thank you. I read that and will contact them on Monday. I am hoping to hear from someone that has experienced it first hand. When we sailed out of San Diego last fall embarkation for the two of us was horrible. So much confusion - I had to ask three staff members for a wheelchair before someone finally listened. No porters so it was a long line of cranky people lugging their suitcases. Hopefully Oahu will be smoother.

Frankly, if someone, needs that much assistance- claiming they need to be taken to their room, you need to have your OWN wheelchair. How do you plan on getting on/off the ship in ports? Carnival doesn't "loan" wheelchairs.

I've sailed out of Honolulu several times, most of the time, YOU have to deliver your bags to the curb, near the drop off area.

Sorry, but you asking for a wheelchair at the curb- IS going to take a lot of time. Again- you need to consider getting your own wheelchair. The porters, aren't the ones who manage the wheel chairs anyway.

And yes- I do travel with a wheelchair.

We second the idea of bringing your own travel wheelchair. You don't have to wait for assistance. It can fold up and be stored in your cabin when not in use, and can be invaluable around the ship and on shore. As to your luggage, we believe NCL has a package deal with the Marriott in Honolulu that will allow you to check in early and handle luggage transfers. You might want to check the POA website for more details. You could also have your luggage shipped ahead and it will meet you in your cabin. At least we personally enjoy the freedom that service gives us.