Duke's in Kauai

Crazy planning mom

Is it walking distance to the port? Is the port area safe to walk around in the evening? What about Iona? Are there any places you recommend for lunch that Re walking distance to the port?

Yes, it's a 15 min or so walk. All sidewalk. It's at the Mariott hotel in a shopping area right on the beach (Kalapaki Bay). We walked there, but it was during the day. I have never seen any mention by passengers of problems, but there is a former Senior Staff ( I think, or perhaps an Engineer ) from the POA who posts on Cruise Critic. He once cautioned about the park the sidewalk borders at one point. He stated that it is safe during the day, but after dark, some crew members had problems in that area.

There's also free shuttles that go back and forth from the nearby shopping centers. You're not under any obligation to shop but can get off and walk across over to the beach or Duke's.

I don't know what Iona is but there really isn't anything right at the terminal. You either catch your excursions (if booked through the ship) inside the terminal or walk outside and then walk to the beach I mentioned or catch a shuttle or taxi to wherever you're going.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe the OP meant Kona...probably a typo. There are plenty of places within walking distance from the pier. The tender dock is right in the middle of town. We enjoy the Kona Inn. From the tender pier, head to the right on the main street and walk along the seawall. The Kona Inn is tucked in a shopping center located on the water. The mai taus are fabulous and you will have an awesome view of your ship while sipping your drink and eating your lunch.

I believe the OP meant Kona...probably a typo. There are plenty of places within walking distance from the pier. The tender dock is right in the middle of town. We enjoy the Kona Inn. From the tender pier, head to the right on the main street and walk along the seawall. The Kona Inn is tucked in a shopping center located on the water. The mai taus are fabulous and you will have an awesome view of your ship while sipping your drink and eating your lunch.

There is no Duke's on the big island so the OP did not Kona. Duke's is on Kauia and therefore that is the island the OP referred to and meant too.

Edited by Donray

There is no Duke's on the big island so the OP did not Kona. Duke's is on Kauia and therefore that is the island the OP referred to and meant too.

Is it walking distance to the port? Is the port area safe to walk around in the evening? What about Iona? Are there any places you recommend for lunch that Re walking distance to the port?

The OP's title was "Dukes in Kauai" and they asked if it was walking distance to the port, and if the port was safe to walk around at night. And then, the OP asked "What about Iona?", "Are there any places you recommend for lunch". I am assuming the OP is then referring to Kona, since the "I" is right about the "K" on the keyboard.;). If not, they will have to come back and clarify.