Ship's Transfer to Airport after Cruise

ROWSE

We will be on the Ocean Princess for the Jan. 27-Feb. 6, 2015 cruise.

I talked to Princess and they told me only those who have purchased ship's transfers can stay on the ship on turn around day. I had previously read that anyone can do this whether you had a transfer or not. Guess you must have a transfer now.

What is your experience if you purchased a transfer?

I was told you could not be in your stateroom but you may use the rest of the ship. Are you able to eat in the dining room or only the buffet? I would think things would get quite crowded with possibly double passengers onboard.

Were you able to get on and off the ship when you wanted before it was time for your transfer, which they said is 3 hours I believe before your flight. Our flight is 10p.m.

Did they store your luggage somewhere you could get to it through the day or was it not till you met your transfer?

We have decided we are not interested in getting a day room.

I would so love to hear anyone's experience using the transfers and the ship for the day. Thank you!

Can you post anything you find out about this on our Roll Call thread also?

I'm looking for answers to a lot of the same questions. I know we could find something to do in/around Papeete, but what do you do with your luggage is my question.

Can you post anything you find out about this on our Roll Call thread also?

I'm looking for answers to a lot of the same questions. I know we could find something to do in/around Papeete, but what do you do with your luggage is my question.

Hi Rich and Pam!

I went ahead and booked the transfer, but I really want to know what people experienced when they did do this. I think I will post this question on the main Princess board soon if I get no responses.

They did tell me that the transfer is 4 hours before your flight and that you can remain on the ship till then. Not sure all the logistics to it though.

I will post on the roll call if I find out some details.

I bought the transfers and so did my parents. I didn't know we could stay on the ship all day. If this is true, that would be a good option since I wasn't sure what to do all day and didn't want to sit at the airport till that night (I think a lot of us are all on the same flight back to LAX).

How did you find out what time the transfers leave?

Does that mean that when we get on the ship, there will be folks from the previous cruise that are sticking around waiting to leave later? Could get a bit crowded both on embarkation and debarkation.

I know we could find something to do in/around Papeete, but what do you do with your luggage is my question.

I rented a car from the Avis downtown office, put the luggage in the trunk, and explored the island until dark. We then went to the roulettes for dinner, and finally to the airport.

In this case, you don't need to pay for the ships transfer. Avis charged me about $20 extra to rent downtown and drop at the airport. For comparison, a taxi from downtown to the airport is about $25.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Mercruiser

I bought the transfers and so did my parents. I didn't know we could stay on the ship all day. If this is true, that would be a good option since I wasn't sure what to do all day and didn't want to sit at the airport till that night (I think a lot of us are all on the same flight back to LAX).

How did you find out what time the transfers leave?

Does that mean that when we get on the ship, there will be folks from the previous cruise that are sticking around waiting to leave later? Could get a bit crowded both on embarkation and debarkation.

The Princess representative read off an information sheet to me saying anyone who has the ship's transfers may stay on the ship, but must vacate their room by 10:00a.m. (I think that was the time). The transfer would leave four hours before your flight. Which for us is 6:00p.m.

I think it will be a bit crowded on embarkation and debarkation too.

twin123185: What was it like staying on the ship? Where did you eat?

Were you able to get off and go walk around and come back? Did you take your carryon with you or would they hold that while you went ashore? (Of course we would carry valuables)

Do you remember how they had you meet and take you off at 6pm?

Any logistics of that day would be wonderful! Thank you!

Answers to your questions Twin:

twin123185: What was it like staying on the ship? Where did you eat?

Were you able to get off and go walk around and come back? Did you take your carryon with you or would they hold that while you went ashore? (Of course we would carry valuables)

Do you remember how they had you meet and take you off at 6pm?

Any logistics of that day would be wonderful! Thank you!

I found a fairly recent review of Ocean Princess and there are comments on how the transfers at the end of the cruise are handled:

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 18TH, 2013 - DISEMBARKATION

While were allowed to remain on the ship until 7pm, we had to vacate our suite by 8am to allow the room attendants time to prepare for the next batch of passengers. I did not like the thought of someone else being in “our” room. Our bags were picked up outside our room door the night before and were being stored and watched over by security in a tent on the pier. Our hand luggage was checked at Sabatini’s for the day.

It also includes photos of all the Princess Patters for cruise

Here is the website:

http://www.cruisenotebook.com/Notebook/Ocean_Princess_Summary.html

Princess used to let us stay on the ship on debarkation day. We had to leave the room by 10am. Our luggage was held and we could come and go as we pleased. We are in the restaurants no problem. They actually let us eat dinner in the main dining room also. It was a great way to extend the trip am extra day. No idea if they still do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

We had princess transfers a few years ago on the pacific. Allowed us to stay on board until the transfers left. We packed a small carryon to keep with us during the day- change of clothes, toothbrushes etc. our luggage was left out side the room the night before- as usual. My memory is foggy but I'm pretty sure we didn't see our luggage until we boarded the transfer. We ended up taking a tour around the island. We ate several times in the buffet that day and showered and changed in the spa/gym facilities. I do not remember it being crowded. We did spend time on the ship by the pool we were easily able to find loungers.