Brazilian Visa question

Softball20

Actually, we've decided not to go to Atlanta, and we're just doing it by mail. The real concern for doing it in person was to not have to send our passports through the mail. Since the Atlanta consulate doesn't process the visas on the same day, they will still have to go back via the mail.

I did speak to Oceania today, twice, regarding the correct information, and they gave me the address/contact info to use in the form. Apparently they have some office there in Rio, so that's what I'm using.

Donna

It was also our concern to part with our passports, but we were unable to go to Atlanta and had no choice but to use the visa service. I must say they were quite efficient and we received everything back in a timely manner. Of course we did not have the Olympics to deal with that year.

Also, I think if anything is incorrect, the visa service will alert you to that before processing your application so that you can correct it. It will probably be better and worth the money. Probably close to the same amount as driving and staying overnight anyway.

Because of the high demand for Brazil visa these days I would not waste any time getting it done. Just my two cents! Good luck.

Terri

Our cruise isn't until February, but I'm getting the applications in right away, now that we've made final payment. We're just doing it on our own; the process - once I got my two questions answered - seems pretty straightforward and we figure that we'd have to get all the info together to give to the service anyway, so we'll do it on our own.

Our cruise isn't until February, but I'm getting the applications in right away, now that we've made final payment. We're just doing it on our own; the process - once I got my two questions answered - seems pretty straightforward and we figure that we'd have to get all the info together to give to the service anyway, so we'll do it on our own.

Good luck with the process. Hope it is quick for you. I know we were nervous about not having our passports in our possession and happy when they were returned.

Terri

A question for VidaNaPraia:

Do you have to enter Brazil within 90 days of the issue date on your visa or it becomes invalid?

This used to be the case, hence the outdated material you may have read online or elsewhere. However, that has not been the case for a few years now.

Also note: Your tourist visa validity used to start on the date you first used it, and usually ran for 5 years for US passport holders; 90 day visas were not the rule for US passport holders, although I do remember some reports of them, from Chicago iirc, and fairly commonly 90 days if one waited to get a visa in Iguazu or elsewhere out of home jurisdiction. (Perhaps the visa service info is very out of date.)

Now the visa starts on the day it is issued, and usually for US passport holders, the validity is now 10 years.

Do not confuse the visa validity with the length of the prazo/stay given on entry. This prazo is 180 days total per year for US passport holders with the 10 year multi entry visa. (With the old 5 year visas, the prazo used to read 90 days with possibility to renew for 90 more at the Policia Federal.)

Happy travels.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Thank you so much. Now I can sleep tonight!! I knew you would have the correct information. Ironically, the visa service I used called me at 6:00 tonight. I guess she must've seen that I tried to call her several times today. She did indeed say that there's no 90 day limit as to when we have to start using the visa. I thought it was remarkable customer service to call after hours on a Saturday night when I hadn't even left a message. I think that's old information that they have never taken off their website.

Edited by Riversedge
typo