Brazilian Visa question

Softball20

We'll be doing a South America cruise in February, and I'm about to start the process to get our visas for Brazil. We are in SC, so our consulate is in Atlanta. The steps are pretty straight forward, and since you can do an in-person option, we'll likely do that. My question, however, has to do with the "proof of consular jurisdiction." Per their requirements, we need to submit something that proves that we are applying in the proper consular office (i.e., that we live in SC so we use the ATL office). The examples of the proper documentation are: "notarized copy of one of: driver’s license, utility bills, lease, or bank statement." Seems straightforward, but who do they expect to notarize the document? Can I just take a copy of my driver's license to any notary or does the local DMV have to authenticate it? Likewise with the utility bill or bank statement - who authenticates the document, as the notary's real function is simply to verify the identity of the person signing the document and not to "certify" the document itself?

Has anyone used the Atlanta consulate, and, if so, what worked?

We'll be doing a South America cruise in February, and I'm about to start the process to get our visas for Brazil. We are in SC, so our consulate is in Atlanta. The steps are pretty straight forward, and since you can do an in-person option, we'll likely do that. My question, however, has to do with the "proof of consular jurisdiction." Per their requirements, we need to submit something that proves that we are applying in the proper consular office (i.e., that we live in SC so we use the ATL office). The examples of the proper documentation are: "notarized copy of one of: driver’s license, utility bills, lease, or bank statement." Seems straightforward, but who do they expect to notarize the document? Can I just take a copy of my driver's license to any notary or does the local DMV have to authenticate it? Likewise with the utility bill or bank statement - who authenticates the document, as the notary's real function is simply to verify the identity of the person signing the document and not to "certify" the document itself?

Just consider the whole thing as "they're just screwing with you", in "reciprocity" for what the US requires of Brazilians applying for US tourist visas. If it says "notary", get a notary....any notary, and don't complicate the thought process with logic, as above, about document authenticity. (That's the opinion of "an old Brazil hand".)

That said, I do know that the Brazilian Consulate in Boston knows and recognizes several Brazilian-American business people who are notaries, and we try to use them for Consulate matters, but if they don't give you a list for Atlanta, how could you be expected to know? So just find any notary.

Hi, we're neighbors as I live in Bluffton. We applied for a Brazil visa two years ago and did it through ZVS (Now Visa Central). We did not have to go to Atlanta. It cost a bit extra, but did not have to get anything notarized. You just download the forms on the internet and then copy all the the documentation you need and send it along with your passport. We had everything back in three weeks.

Very quick and easy and we did not have to waste time going to Atlanta.

Terri

Interesting that OP is being required to provide notarized documentation proving residence for the consulate in Atlanta. I had been told that some of the requirements for a Brazilian visa may vary depending on the consulate you have to use.

I am preparing for a cruise around South America in January with Princess, and I reside in Florida, so my visa approval comes from Miami. I just had to include a copy of my DL, which I just ran thru my scanner and printed out. I also had to provide 3 months of bank statements to prove I had sufficient funds for the trip!! Talk about weird, and rather, IMO, overly invasive. But I did it anyway because I really want to do this cruise! I'm wondering if you too had that requirement.

I am using the services of Visa Central, rather than making a trip down to Miami and they have all my paperwork right now. Princess set up a deal with them and their service fee was reduced by about 1/3. To me it's worth the service fee to have someone who deals with this stuff all the time handle it. You might want to check with your cruiseline to see if they have any similar arrangement with a visa service.

Interesting that OP is being required to provide notarized documentation proving residence for the consulate in Atlanta. I had been told that some of the requirements for a Brazilian visa may vary depending on the consulate you have to use.

I am preparing for a cruise around South America in January with Princess, and I reside in Florida, so my visa approval comes from Miami. I just had to include a copy of my DL, which I just ran thru my scanner and printed out. I also had to provide 3 months of bank statements to prove I had sufficient funds for the trip!! Talk about weird, and rather, IMO, overly invasive. But I did it anyway because I really want to do this cruise! I'm wondering if you too had that requirement.

I am using the services of Visa Central, rather than making a trip down to Miami and they have all my paperwork right now. Princess set up a deal with them and their service fee was reduced by about 1/3. To me it's worth the service fee to have someone who deals with this stuff all the time handle it. You might want to check with your cruiseline to see if they have any similar arrangement with a visa service.

I had to provide bank statements. I too found that quite invasive, but we wanted to go to Brazil so we did it. We sent ours via the Visa service to Atlanta.

Terri

We're on Oceania, and they charge about $200, plus the visa fees. The other requirements are straight forward - yes, we do need bank statements, too, and yes, I'm probably over analyzing it, but this"notarized" driver's license is stumping me. I'll make a copy of our licenses and have a notary sign off on them and hope that works.

We can do it by mail, but it's a good excuse for a road trip to Atlanta.

We're on Oceania, and they charge about $200, plus the visa fees. The other requirements are straight forward - yes, we do need bank statements, too, and yes, I'm probably over analyzing it, but this"notarized" driver's license is stumping me. I'll make a copy of our licenses and have a notary sign off on them and hope that works.

We can do it by mail, but it's a good excuse for a road trip to Atlanta.

I believe we paid about $140 for the Visa service two years ago. It wasn't convenient for us to drive to Atlanta. We did it through the Holland America website. I don't remember getting anything notarized.

Terri

The website for each Brazilian Consulate has the current requirements for that consulate and for each type of visa offered. Any visa agency acting for you has to present the same documents on your behalf.

Again, don't over analyze the logic or lack thereof in having a copy notarized, be it a bill or a DL, to show that you live within the jurisdiction. Just get the stamp. (Even they know it's bs....uh, reciprocity.)

Realistically, there is absolutely no point in talking about what conditions were two years ago or if you find the documents required to be even a tiny percentage as "invasive" as what is asked of Brazilians applying for a US tourist visa. Brazil values reciprocity with what is required of Brazilians, seemingly more so than a few tourist dollars. So, if you don't like the conditions, lobby your own government to make the process easier for Brazilians applying, or of course you can change your plans.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

The website for each Brazilian Consulate has the current requirements for that consulate and for each type of visa offered. Any visa agency acting for you has to present the same documents on your behalf.

Again, don't over analyze the logic or lack thereof in having a copy notarized, be it a bill or a DL, to show that you live within the jurisdiction. Just get the stamp. (Even they know it's bs....uh, reciprocity.)

Realistically, there is absolutely no point in talking about what conditions were two years ago or if you find the documents required to be even a tiny percentage as "invasive" as what is asked of Brazilians applying for a US tourist visa. Brazil values reciprocity with what is required of Brazilians, seemingly more so than a few tourist dollars. So, if you don't like the conditions, lobby your own government to make the process easier for Brazilians applying, or of course you can change your plans.

Wow!

I don't have a problem with the conditions/requirements, nor do I find anything invasive, I just want to make sure I'm submitting the right info! Hence my original question - does anyone have any experience with the Atlanta consulate and can I just get ANY notary to sign off on a copy of my driver's license, or does the DMV have to do it?

I don't have a problem with the conditions/requirements, nor do I find anything invasive, I just want to make sure I'm submitting the right info! Hence my original question - does anyone have any experience with the Atlanta consulate and can I just get ANY notary to sign off on a copy of my driver's license, or does the DMV have to do it?

As I said, my visa request went through Atlanta and I had no difficulties. I would just get the copies notarized if that is what they asked for. If you are going in person, you will have all the original documents with you as well as the copies. If they are not to their liking, I would take them somewhere and get them recopied and notarized and return with the new notarized copies (banks will do it)

I was not aware that the consulate has one day service. I thought one had to wait a day or two after submitting the paper work.

Good luck.

Terri

It's not a one-day service, but it is faster. I believe that they mail them back within five days.

If you are not adverse to making a second trip, you might ask while you are there if you could come in to pick up your passports, instead of the consulate mailing them to you. Although it is not 'advertised' on the website, the Brazilian Consulate I use (in the city I live in, so travel time is not an issue) allows this, and gives me a receipt to show when I come to pick up with a date/time when it would be ready. (although last time I did show up with the requested prepaid envelope for the return, which I then chose not to use)

Every country has the right to determine who enters its country and under what conditions.

I have been to six South American countries and love South America, so I expect to visit Brazil one day.

I can handle a chicken s--- visa process if I want to go there, but I don't have to like it.

Far better for Brazil to simply make tourist pay the same price instead of so called reciprocity, like their honor is at stake. Give me a break.

When people are climbing fences and crossing deserts (paying thousands of dollars to smugglers) to enter Brazil, unlike the USA, reciprocity may make some sense.

The USA has an invasive process to reduce the those that stay illegally. How may Americans are planning to emigrate to Brazil illegally?

Every country has the right to determine who enters its country and under what conditions.

I have been to six South American countries and love South America, so I expect to visit Brazil one day.

I can handle a chicken s--- visa process if I want to go there, but I don't have to like it.

Far better for Brazil to simply make tourist pay the same price instead of so called reciprocity, like their honor is at stake. Give me a break.

When people are climbing fences and crossing deserts (paying thousands of dollars to smugglers) to enter Brazil, unlike the USA, reciprocity may make some sense.

The USA has an invasive process to reduce the those that stay illegally. How may Americans are planning to emigrate to Brazil illegally?

That's the kind of arrogance that Brazil responds to in kind.

They just love it when you pontificate about what it's "far better" to do.

I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

And actually, you might be surprised how many inquiries the expat forum gets from US passport holders regarding illegal overstays, and how to stay in Brazil longer than the legal prazo/stay, those inquiring on such a site probably a miniscule percentage of the total.

Many inquiries about how to find a job and work in Brazil as well.

Brazil has enough illegal aliens to have recently given 'another' amnesty to allow them to fix their status and stay legally. Again, there were many questions about this process on the expat forum, many from US passport holders.

Most of the Brazilians who came to the US have long since returned home for better current economic opportunities there. They only visit Miami to shop now.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

And actually, you might be surprised how many inquiries the expat forum gets from US passport holders regarding illegal overstays, and how to stay in Brazil longer than the legal prazo/stay, those inquiring on such a site probably a miniscule percentage of the total.

Brazil has enough illegal aliens to have recently given 'another' amnesty to allow them to fix their status and stay legally. Again, there were many questions about this process on the expat forum, many from US passport holders.

Most of the Brazilians who came to the US have long since returned home for better current economic opportunities there. They only visit Miami to shop now.

I meant no offense to Brazilians or your country. My argument was not arrogant, but based on logic.

A little research on Google finds that 70% of Brazilians in the USA are illegal.

http://www.diggersrealm.com/mt/archives/003261.html

Also, it appears that immigration of Brazilians to the USA is significant.

http://immigrationinamerica.org/391-brazilian-immigrants.html?newsid=391

Brazil is in the top ten.

http://immigration.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000845#countries

I can agree with you that Brazil is a desirable country that would attract immigrants, but I didn't find much evidence of illegals from the USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Brazil

Haiti seems to be a particular problem for Brazil.

http://brazilportal.wordpress.com/tag/brazil-illegal-immigration/

I meant no offense to Brazilians or your country. My argument was not arrogant, but based on logic.

A little research on Google finds that 70% of Brazilians in the USA are illegal.

http://www.diggersrealm.com/mt/archives/003261.html

Also, it appears that immigration of Brazilians to the USA is significant.

http://immigrationinamerica.org/391-brazilian-immigrants.html?newsid=391

Brazil is in the top ten.

http://immigration.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000845#countries

I can agree with you that Brazil is a desirable country that would attract immigrants, but I didn't find much evidence of illegals from the USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Brazil

Haiti seems to be a particular problem for Brazil.

http://brazilportal.wordpress.com/tag/brazil-illegal-immigration/

Your "research", from the maybe five minutes you spent doing an online search, is outdated or incorrect. There is a great deal of inaccurate information on the internet, as most acknowledge, and what exists seldom has a date on it, or on any so-called research that went into it. Anyone can contribute any info to a Wiki, for example. The article on the "particular problem" of Haitians entering Brazil is talking about very few people if one bothers to actually read the numbers cited, for another. Also, the "illegal alien" article was published in 2009, with research from what source? And from what year? One in which the economy, both US and Brazilian, as well as in the wider world, was quite different? It cites the opinions of a guy who is considered, even in his own community, to be a fringe extremist.

Again, your attitude seems arrogant in its assumptions, particularly considering the current state of the US economy, as well as current world opinion, and therefore offensive, yes, even to someone like myself whose country is the same as (I assume) yours, and certainly to Brazilians. Thinking like yours only serves to prolong the visa bureaucracy, which Brazil would drop the moment the US does. So to reiterate, anyone who does not like the process should lobby their own government officials.

I assure you that, should you be treated in anything approaching the manner I have witnessed Brazilians treated by staff at the US Consulate in Rio for example, we would be hearing from you in louder protest than you are making here over issues you clearly have no current personal knowledge of.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Well, Bless your heart.

Now that I've gotten an answer to my question about the proof of counselor jurisdiction, I've got everything together to fill out the visa application. The visa form is asking for an address in Brazil. Clearly we don't have a physical address, and I'm listing the cruise line/ship name. What has anyone else done?

Now that I've gotten an answer to my question about the proof of counselor jurisdiction, I've got everything together to fill out the visa application. The visa form is asking for an address in Brazil. Clearly we don't have a physical address, and I'm listing the cruise line/ship name. What has anyone else done?

Use the name of the ship on which you are sailing. That is what I did when we applied. We put down the Holland America/MS Veendam and it was sufficient.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

Use the name of the ship on which you are sailing. That is what I did when we applied. We put down the Holland America/MS Veendam and it was sufficient.

Terri

Hi Terri,

Thanks. It didn't cause a problem leaving blanks on the application?

Hi Terri,

Thanks. It didn't cause a problem leaving blanks on the application?

I guess not. I am not home right now. I do have a copy of all this at home and could look it up when I get home next week. When are you going to Atlanta?

I know I have a copy of all the paperwork but not with me. Probably left it blank.

Terri

Actually, we've decided not to go to Atlanta, and we're just doing it by mail. The real concern for doing it in person was to not have to send our passports through the mail. Since the Atlanta consulate doesn't process the visas on the same day, they will still have to go back via the mail.

I did speak to Oceania today, twice, regarding the correct information, and they gave me the address/contact info to use in the form. Apparently they have some office there in Rio, so that's what I'm using.

Donna