Where to buy a nice bottle of wine before boarding

rgg

My daughter and I are sailing on the Triumph on November 26th. That's two days after Thanksgiving. We are flying in on Thanksgiving day and staying at the Hilton Riverside pre-cruise. Since the 26th is the day of the Bayou Classic, about which I've heard scary stories (violent drunken crowds and shootings!), I'm planning to steer clear of the French Quarter until we return from the cruise. (We'll have two more days in NOLA after the cruise.) The day before we sail (black Friday) I'm planning on getting streetcar passes and heading to the Garden District and maybe Audubon Park and the zoo. Any suggestions of where to buy a nice bottle of wine either near the hotel or in the Garden District? Thinking about an early dinner at Casamento's, so maybe near there?

Thanks!

My daughter and I are sailing on the Triumph on November 26th. That's two days after Thanksgiving. We are flying in on Thanksgiving day and staying at the Hilton Riverside pre-cruise. Since the 26th is the day of the Bayou Classic, about which I've heard scary stories (violent drunken crowds and shootings!), I'm planning to steer clear of the French Quarter until we return from the cruise. (We'll have two more days in NOLA after the cruise.) The day before we sail (black Friday) I'm planning on getting streetcar passes and heading to the Garden District and maybe Audubon Park and the zoo. Any suggestions of where to buy a nice bottle of wine either near the hotel or in the Garden District? Thinking about an early dinner at Casamento's, so maybe near there?

Thanks!

There is a Martin Wine Celler, 3827 Baronne Street in the Garden District. You can get off the street car and it's a couple of block walk. Or if you want to walk a few blocks from your hotel, there is a Rouse's Supermarket (also on Baronne), but nowhere near the other one, that has a fantastic wine selection.

Just FYI, "drunken violent crowds and shootings" are NOT part of the Bayou Classic.

My wife and I spend just about every Saturday in the French Quarter, including Bayou Classic weekend, and have never seen any problems. There is a heavy police presence and most of the action is around the Superdome. The French Quarter is very quiet.

There is a Martin Wine Celler, 3827 Baronne Street in the Garden District. You can get off the street car and it's a couple of block walk. Or if you want to walk a few blocks from your hotel, there is a Rouse's Supermarket (also on Baronne), but nowhere near the other one, that has a fantastic wine selection.

Perfect! Thanks.

Just FYI, "drunken violent crowds and shootings" are NOT part of the Bayou Classic.

My wife and I spend just about every Saturday in the French Quarter, including Bayou Classic weekend, and have never seen any problems. There is a heavy police presence and most of the action is around the Superdome. The French Quarter is very quiet.

Interesting. I don't scare easily. I live in NYC, and travel all around the city on the subway with my daughter, but the things I have heard abut this event give me pause. We were in NOLA last December, and the news was still buzzing about the shooting that took place during the Bayou Classic weekend. There are many threads on Trip Advisor about avoiding certain areas that weekend, and a quick google search brings up many articles about the problems.

Just a few:

http://www.themindofmyron.com/the-life/bayou-classic-tradition-or-trouble

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/news/article_144ceac4-6f96-5d00-a3c9-495c949307c6.html

https://www.change.org/p/mayor-mitch-landrieu-move-bayou-classic-out-of-new-orleans

We have 2 more days in NOLA after our cruise, and will be staying in the FQ then. I'd rather be safe than sorry, especially traveling with a child, so we will use this opportunity to explore the Garden District.

We want you to feel comfortable while you are here, so enjoy your day uptown and in the Garden District, and you will still have plenty of time to explore the French Quarter. There are a lot of people in town for Bayou Classic, and things happen, but the dangers are greatly exaggerated.

I agree with wine-shopping at the Rouse's at 800 Baronne (downtown). Casamento's has great seafood, especially oysters, but they have a very quirkey schedule, so check their web site to make sure they are open on the day you plan to go.