Puerto Plata City or Cable Car Tours

beshears

Is this a private tour where you have to meet a guide in the city of Puerto Plata instead of at Amber Cove?

There are regulated taxis inside the port area that go by price of the vehicle, as many as fit. It's 70.00 round trip. 4 of us did that and the driver took us on a tour of Puerto Plata. There are taxis you can walk to outside of the port area that aren't regulated. But, buyer beware. Two adventurous souls in our party did these taxis as they needed to do somethings at the University in Puerto Plata. They had two taxis break down on them. And ended up having a police car take them to the University

• 3 weeks later...
We are planning on doing the Puerto Plata City or Cable Car Tours. Once we arrive at the port, can you tell me the cost pp of a Taxi to this area going/coming back?

Hoping you will report back on what you did at this port and any other tips you picked up while there!

I'll be honest, we (my friend and I) did not do much.

My 3 sons/d-i-l's all went out on a private boat they had booked, I believe through Carnival, and enjoyed it very much. I think they also snorkeled as well. I don't know how much the cost was, but I believe it was for most of the day, and they were also feed. They said there was the 6 of them, and may 4 more, so it was not crowded, and they really enjoyed it.

As for myself and friend, there wasn't much beach close by, and what we saw, wasn't much. They did have a very nice large big pool, that spread over and around the area. Also zip lining was going over while the people were in the pool. Pretty area that needs more added to it. I think my children had the best deal with what they did, which was fine with us, as we did not want to do this. Since it would have been costly just to get to the cable cars, etc., we decided not to do this.

We picked up a taxi tour right outside the port last December. I think it was about $30 pp and toured the main sights in Puerto Plata. We also did the cable car as an add-on: About $8 pp. It was beautiful.

We picked up a taxi tour right outside the port last December. I think it was about $30 pp and toured the main sights in Puerto Plata. We also did the cable car as an add-on: About $8 pp. It was beautiful.

This is what I am thinking of doing rather than booking a tour. Did/could you tell the driver where you wished to go? I have a list of places/things I want to see/do. Was it just your group or did you have to wait til he had a taxi full?

This is what I am thinking of doing rather than booking a tour. Did/could you tell the driver where you wished to go? I have a list of places/things I want to see/do. Was it just your group or did you have to wait til he had a taxi full?

There are a lot of vendors right where you leave the port area trying to put tours together. Ours was just the two of us. He did have a schedule of things to see, but was very flexible and would have taken us anywhere we wanted within a reasonable distance/time frame.

His English could have been better, but we managed to communicate well. He narrated as we drove to town, went to an amber factory and museum, the town square, the walk along the ocean, with time to spend on the malecon, drove through some of the richer and some of the poorer neighborhoods and visited the fort, with time to get out and walk around as we wanted. You could request other things. On the way back we went on the cable care, which we enjoyed a lot. That was an extra charge. Thinking back, I think our tour was $30 total, not per person, but could be wrong.

Back at port we spent an hour or so at Amber Cove, mostly the pool area, before boarding time, which was fairly early.

KroozFoolz, thanks for your nice reply. :) Yes, I would like to enjoy my retirement, but at this moment, I am doing a LOT of Income TAX (long waaaaaaaaaaaaay) getting it ready for my husband, who adds his 2 cents worth to it. :)) I know there are several that want to get with me when I have time. actually one of the ladies at church Sunday ask me how I stayed the same weight all these years that she has known me? I told her NOW, that I am home, my weight may go the "other" direction, oh my.:(

• 1 month later...
There are a lot of vendors right where you leave the port area trying to put tours together. Ours was just the two of us. He did have a schedule of things to see, but was very flexible and would have taken us anywhere we wanted within a reasonable distance/time frame.

His English could have been better, but we managed to communicate well. He narrated as we drove to town, went to an amber factory and museum, the town square, the walk along the ocean, with time to spend on the malecon, drove through some of the richer and some of the poorer neighborhoods and visited the fort, with time to get out and walk around as we wanted. You could request other things. On the way back we went on the cable care, which we enjoyed a lot. That was an extra charge. Thinking back, I think our tour was $30 total, not per person, but could be wrong.

Back at port we spent an hour or so at Amber Cove, mostly the pool area, before boarding time, which was fairly early.

We had a great tour with Cesar! His English was very good! Thanks again for posting about your experience!