La Spezia port

gabecast

Hi I'm going on the May 7th, Freedom of the Sea Mediterranian cruise that has a port of call in La Spezia. We plan on going on our own to Florence from there I know it's a 2 hour train ride but my girlfriend is not interested in Cinque Terre. The ship docks at 7am is it possible to make it to the train station by 7:45am to catch that train to Florence? There are other trains around at 8:15 and 8:20 but they seem to be slower? Should I pre-buy the train tickets or just get them at the station? I was also wondering how long in advance you should pre-buy museum (Ufizi and La Academia in Florence and the Vatican and the Colosseum in Rome) tickets to avoid the line? Do I get them the day before of do you need to buy them a week or so early. I've also noticed that there are multiple sites to get the tickets are some more reliable or cheaper than others?

Keep in mind that docking at 7 am does not necissarily mean you can leave the ship at this time. And you have to take the free shuttle bus first to the cruise terminal building which takes at least 10 to 15 min. It´s usally a big crowd and fighting for the first busses.

steamboats

Hi I'm going on the May 7th, Freedom of the Sea Mediterranian cruise that has a port of call in La Spezia. We plan on going on our own to Florence from there I know it's a 2 hour train ride but my girlfriend is not interested in Cinque Terre. The ship docks at 7am is it possible to make it to the train station by 7:45am to catch that train to Florence? There are other trains around at 8:15 and 8:20 but they seem to be slower? Should I pre-buy the train tickets or just get them at the station? I was also wondering how long in advance you should pre-buy museum (Ufizi and La Academia in Florence and the Vatican and the Colosseum in Rome) tickets to avoid the line? Do I get them the day before of do you need to buy them a week or so early. I've also noticed that there are multiple sites to get the tickets are some more reliable or cheaper than others?

You may also want to inquire on the port of call forum here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

You may also want to inquire on the port of call forum here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

Agree. The Italy port of call board is a mine of information with some very knowledgeable people contributing. You will get much better answers if you post your message there - or get the mods to move this thread there

Train tix don't need to be pre-purchased in Italy. You'll have more flexibility when buying your train tix at the station. 7:45 will be cutting it close, but is doable if the gangway opens close to 7:00, but it could open at 7:30. It's about a 20 minute walk to the train station in La Spezia so you'll need to know where you're walking to and walk fast. We've done the walk. Perhaps you could take a taxi?

Vatican museum tix sales open up 60 days out. You should definitely buy them in advance. I think Coleseum tix sales open up 60 days out too. I would recommend this if wanting to do a tour. However, if you plan to look around on your own, go to the gate at the Palantine Hill entrance and buy you tix there as there is virtually no line.

It's about a 20 minute walk to the train station in La Spezia so you'll need to know where you're walking to and walk fast.

From the cruise terminal building! First you have to get there by the shuttle bus.

BTW don´t forget to validate the ticket at the train station.

And one more BTW: At the cruise terminal building you will also find offers for mini van rides to Florence. A little more than the train but maybe more comfortable.

steamboats

From the cruise terminal building! First you have to get there by the shuttle bus.

BTW don´t forget to validate the ticket at the train station.

And one more BTW: At the cruise terminal building you will also find offers for mini van rides to Florence. A little more than the train but maybe more comfortable.

steamboats

Ugh! I forgot about the mandatory shuttle ride to get to the cruise terminal building in La Spezia.

atgood

There are shuttle bus to Florence outside the cruise ports? How do I find them? Or can I pre book? About how much for 6 people?

They offer mini van trips in the cruise terminal building. You have to walk through that building after the shuttle ride. They are first come first serve. Sorry, I don´t remember the pricing. I only found a photo saying 40 Euro to Pisa, 70 Euro to Florence and 80 Euro Florence & Pisa (prices per person / minimum of 7 people).

steamboats