Gibraltar WW2 tunnels

We're hoping to visit WW2 tunnels but I'm finding it hard to get much information. We don't want to do a tour as such as we just want to visit the tunnels then do a bit of shopping. What I'd like to know is can you prebook a guided tour of the tunnels only? Any info greatly appreciated thanks.

It's not well-promoted on the internet.

You can get there by little local bus, I think it's route 2 from Casemates Square (northern end of Main Street, about 20 minute walk from the ship), which drops you just below the Moorish castle. From there it's 200 to 300 yards uphill to the entrance. Because it's in the Upper Rock nature reserve you have to pay a fee ( only pennies) as you pass the Moorish castle.

I'm not too sure if taxis have to pay a nature reserve fee, it's about £10 for a car. If so, avoid it by baling out at the Moorish castle & walk from there.

I don't know if the WW2 tunnels offer a private pre-booked tour, but small group tours depart from the entrance every 20 to 30 minutes. Cost IIRC about £8 per person.

You can't walk round independently, it's a huge & complicated network of tunnels of which only a small proportion is open to the public. Also, there's not a lot to see and it needs bringing alive by a guide.

If Cornishpastyman sees this thread he took an excellent video which he can link.

JB :)

Thanks for the info do you know if we can just turn up on the day then and pay at the entrance? I'm just concerned that if there are loads of people on prebooked tours we won't get in :confused:

Can't be sure, but their business seems to be predominantly walk-up independents. Group size isn't a big problem, the tunnels are huge (including roads, wooden buildings etc) and I've seen groups from three or four up to twenty or more.

The aforesaid poor promotion of the place has its advantages ;)

No cast-iron guarantees, but I seriously doubt you'll have a problem :)

JB :)

Thanks for the info do you know if we can just turn up on the day then and pay at the entrance? I'm just concerned that if there are loads of people on prebooked tours we won't get in :confused:

This is just what did, as it sounds like we were in the same situation as you in that we were wanting to do the WWII tunnels but back in 2013 information about exactly how was even scantier than it is today. We just turned aup nd hoped for the best. In the event the next tour, which had no-one else on it, was due to start in 10 minutes so we were really fortunate.

As we had just come from the top of the Rock we had a ticket for the Moorish Castle so that would have used up some time if we had to wait for say 30-40 minutes until the next one. I agree with JB that you will be unlucky not to get in.

JB sums it up very well in that it will be hard for this one to become a mass tourist site as unlike the Great Siege Tunnels where there is excellent signage and audio/visual aids so a guide is not necessary, the WWII tunnels are fairly featureless with minimal signage so a guide is essential.

This was the video I made of my 50 minute tour. If you want it to be a surprise I would just watch the first 30 seconds or so to give you some idea of where it, is although the entrance is impossible to miss as you walk down from the top of the Rock. Good luck ! Tony

QpBAu6E7vEA

My husband and I will visit Gibraltar in May 20147 on Celebrity Reflection. I was looking for something he would really enjoy and not just another beautiful church or museum. Thanks for your description and video. I am sold. We are both engineers, so seeing how these tunnels were engineered and constructed will be particularly cool to us. The historical part is fascinating too.

We just turned up on the day and joined the next tour. The tour returns to the main entrance where it starts, but we wanted to walk down to the town afterwards, so after the tour ended the guide took us back through part of the tunnel network to an exit lower down the Rock.

We just turned up on the day and joined the next tour. The tour returns to the main entrance where it starts, but we wanted to walk down to the town afterwards, so after the tour ended the guide took us back through part of the tunnel network to an exit lower down the Rock.

I'll need to remember this because that would be handy as we intend to head down to the town afterwards time permitting. Thanks.