Diamond Princess v Celebrity Solstice

I have been on both ships and I think they are slightly different but both equally as good.

I had the same dilemma, should I choose the round Australia on the Diamond or top end on Solstice. We ended up going on the Solstice last February and had a fantastic cruise! The service, food and ship were outstanding. We both had the included drink package which was an added bonus. My husband doesn't drink either though he loves his coffees and smoothies, and the occasional baileys, so it was well worth having. The reason we ended up choosing the Solstice was the price. For a lot less than a Diamond inside, we had a beautiful balcony cabin with gratuities and drinks included.

I have read some of the negative reviews of my cruise and can't believe we were on the same ship! Saying that, I have sailed on the Diamond 3 times, one a 35 night back to back from NZ to Beijing, and loved every minute of that as well.

I think any one you choose will be great!

Sue

I have been on both ships and I think they are slightly different but both equally as good.

I had the same dilemma, should I choose the round Australia on the Diamond or top end on Solstice. We ended up going on the Solstice last February and had a fantastic cruise! The service, food and ship were outstanding. We both had the included drink package which was an added bonus. My husband doesn't drink either though he loves his coffees and smoothies, and the occasional baileys, so it was well worth having. The reason we ended up choosing the Solstice was the price. For a lot less than a Diamond inside, we had a beautiful balcony cabin with gratuities and drinks included.

I have read some of the negative reviews of my cruise and can't believe we were on the same ship! Saying that, I have sailed on the Diamond 3 times, one a 35 night back to back from NZ to Beijing, and loved every minute of that as well.

I think any one you choose will be great!

Sue

That happens to me all the time, often wonder if people were on the same cruise as us.

Well bit the bullet and put a hold on.

On the Diamond cruise?

Make sure you get their super-generous Three for Free deal - for your cruise $100 OBC, a $25 bottle of wine (hopefully you can exchange that for something) and dinner at a speciality restaurant. :rolleyes:

On the Diamond cruise?

Make sure you get their super-generous Three for Free deal - for your cruise $100 OBC, a $25 bottle of wine (hopefully you can exchange that for something) and dinner at a speciality restaurant. :rolleyes:

Actually got $550 OBC higher grade balcony and the rest of that stuff, just got everything crossed herself can get the time off, but that's looking pretty good too.

Actually got $550 OBC higher grade balcony and the rest of that stuff, just got everything crossed herself can get the time off, but that's looking pretty good too.

That's fantastic, GUT. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too,

I only mentioned the Three for Free deal as the email had just popped into my inbox. Hmmm, comparing around NZ cruises (ie less than 14 days) - Princess $50 OBC, $25 wine, $50 (I think) dinner so total value $125, Celebrity drinks package from Pick your Perks around $1300 value for 12 nights. Hmmmm! Not in the same ballpark, Princess. :rolleyes: ;)

But I do like the Princess wine lists, great prices for really interesting international wines, and their cocktail list was really interesting as well.

What swung it for us was:

1. AUS$ not US$, on $3000 spending that's $600

2. No auto grats that's over $1000 savings [though could have got them as PYP with celebrity]

3. One cruise not three and one cabin for the whole cruise and in a much better location.

4. Two weeks shorter, which means a two week cruise later :D, would have been different if 1st leg and half 2nd leg weren't the same cruise. Also means $6000 savings.

What swung it for us was:

1. AUS$ not US$, on $3000 spending that's $600

2. No auto grats that's over $1000 savings [though could have got them as PYP with celebrity]

3. One cruise not three and one cabin for the whole cruise and in a much better location.

4. Two weeks shorter, which means a two week cruise later :D, would have been different if 1st leg and half 2nd leg weren't the same cruise. Also means $6000 savings.

Also the self service laundy

Sounds like the right choice and a good deal.

Is that the round Australia and NZ cruise in October?

I'm envious ;)

That's the one.

I am trying hard not to get excited till it is all set in stone, but it's not easy.

This has been on the bucket list for years.

Also we actually skip a level in the Captain's circle, that wasn't an issue when we booked as I had no idea till the consultant told me, but hey:D

That's a really big plus on Princess. I've heard so many negatives about ship laundry services that I'd be loath to trust my clothes to them.

Dry Cleaning is usually good herself doesn't like others washing the delicate items.