Sydney Accommodation within walking distance of OPT

I have searched on here and most of the info I find is a bit dated so I thought I would ask again.... We are looking for overnight accommodation the night before our cruise in June 2015, probably up to about a kilometer from OPT.

Seeing that it is so far in advance I have seen a lot of rooms for under $200 online on booking sites, but what is a good one?? We are mid 50s so we just want a nice comfy bed with our own bathroom, in a reasonably quiet location with a lift (dont want to lug cases up stairs). As it will be winter we want heating, but I think that's a given now days. Not much to ask. I could add in bonus things, but I bet that makes the price escalate - like a view of the harbour, or a spa (not in the room, just the hotel) or a heated pool, a buffet breakfast....but these are just on the wish list

Thanks in advance

Sapphire (aka Karen):)

I've stayed at the rondevous in the rocks and harbour rocks hotel, both right across from each other and a very short walk to the terminal. I've heard holiday inn is lovely, and it would be the closest but i've not stayed there myself and it was pricier last I looked.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While I live just out of the city, I have stayed at Holiday Inn (55 George Street, The Rocks) a couple of times pre-cruise. It is a comfortable city hotel, reasonably priced and is an easy stroll down (a couple of hundred metres) to the OPT. Just make sure your ship is leaving from the OPT and not the White Bay Terminal which is west of the bridge. The larger ships leave from the OPT but many of the smaller/medium ships leave from White Bay which gives you a sail away under the bridge. White Bay though is a little difficult to get to with no accommodation nearby.:)

Any of the above mentioned are good, Holiday Inn probably a bit more expensive than you're looking for unless you can snag a good deal, but the best position of all of them, literally over the road from OPT.

I'm pretty sure any of the ones mentioned will do a buffet breky for about $20 ea.

I don't know if this will help but we stay at the Great Southern in George st just near Central Station. It's a pub but the rooms are clean and comfortable and reasonably priced. It's a bit of a hike up to the OPT but doable. Enjoy your trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks all. I've seen some deals for around $150 for both the Travelodge places claiming to be about 0.8km from OPT. Anyone stayed at either of those?

Do you mean Travelodge on York Street [there are a few in Sydney].

I think it would be the closest to OPT.

A department my wife does some work for puts her/us up there a couple of times a year, and it's good, not great but certainly acceptable, has a nice restaurant and prices are OK. we have even booked there privately once or twice. The only thing 'd suggest is ask for a higher room, but not 22nd floor, as Sydney can have a bit of traffic noise and higher up reduces it a bit.

I don't know if this will help but we stay at the Great Southern in George st just near Central Station. It's a pub but the rooms are clean and comfortable and reasonably priced. It's a bit of a hike up to the OPT but doable. Enjoy your trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks. I looked up the Great Southern and it looks a good price but 2.3km is a bit far. Hubby is on a walking stick.

A department my wife does some work for puts her/us up there a couple of times a year, and it's good, not great but certainly acceptable, has a nice restaurant and prices are OK. we have even booked there privately once or twice. The only thing 'd suggest is ask for a higher room, but not 22nd floor, as Sydney can have a bit of traffic noise and higher up reduces it a bit.

Yes that one and the one on Phillip St too

Yes that one and the one on Phillip St too

Stayed there too it's opposite the Supreme Court and above the NSW leagues Club, which has a cozy little Bistro and of course a bar for a drink or too [at bar prices not hotel prices] if that interests you, York is probably fractionally closer but only 100m or so in it I'd guess.

I think York St has slightly nicer rooms, Leagues club will have better price for a meal and a drink.

If hubby's on a cane either will be about $10 cab ride to OPT.

Travelodge Wynyard is not too bad a hotel but I would think it too far for someone with a walking stick.:D

I have searched on here and most of the info I find is a bit dated so I thought I would ask again.... We are looking for overnight accommodation the night before our cruise in June 2015, probably up to about a kilometer from OPT.

Seeing that it is so far in advance I have seen a lot of rooms for under $200 online on booking sites, but what is a good one?? We are mid 50s so we just want a nice comfy bed with our own bathroom, in a reasonably quiet location with a lift (dont want to lug cases up stairs). As it will be winter we want heating, but I think that's a given now days. Not much to ask. I could add in bonus things, but I bet that makes the price escalate - like a view of the harbour, or a spa (not in the room, just the hotel) or a heated pool, a buffet breakfast....but these are just on the wish list

Thanks in advance

Sapphire (aka Karen):)

Karen, i dont think the info is outdated at all. The same hotels exist as they did before, nothing has changed.

There will be massive changes to the Barrangaroo area soon on the western side of the city, but that doesnt apply to you.

Most if the recommendations above are valid. The difficulty you have is the someone with a walking stick.

Sydney, around the OPT, is not flat, hence the problem. The cheapest option with facilities, for your scenario would have to be The Old Holiday Inn at The Rocks. This gives you an easy walk to the terminal.

The Harbour Rocks hotel would be next choice.

The YHA in the Rocks is excellent but it is up on a hill so a definite short taxi ride.

Try pricing the Mantra which is flat travel along George St to the terminal or also the Sydney Harbour Marriott on Pitt St.

We went on a cruise from OPT in October. We are mid 60s and we stayed at the Wynyard Travelodge. It is very close to Wynyard train station and a short down hill walk to the OPT. We had two large cases and two carry on cases and had no difficulty.

In a couple of weeks we are going on another cruise and we are staying at the Wentworth which we checked out last time we were in Sydney and again it's a short down hill walk to the OPT.

We found good deals on Wotif about 3 months prior.

• 1 month later...
Some good options however generally on the pricier end but walking distance to terminal would be:

Sir Stamford circular quay

Harbour rocks hotel mcgallery

Four seasons

Intercontinental

Rendezvous the rocks

Hope this helps!

Shouldn't be too late for someone else to use the information even if the OP has already booked.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your suggestions. We have made a booking at the York Apartments on York St not far from the Wynyard Train station. We got a deal for about $150 for an un refurbished studio apartment. We are expecting it to be a bit dated but as long as it has a hot shower and a comfortable bed and is an easy walk to the terminal we will be happy.

:rolleyes::)

• 2 months later...
Shouldn't be too late for someone else to use the information even if the OP has already booked.:D

Certainly not! I will be booking a cruise in December 2015, departing from Sydney so this is all relevant for me. :)

Certainly not! I will be booking a cruise in December 2015, departing from Sydney so this is all relevant for me. :)

One thing to keep in mind Ellie, when you do book is which Terminal you are leaving from OPT at Circular Quay or White Bay [some cruises you were looking at go from one others the other].

Also how long you are going to stay in town and what you want to do while in Syd.

visit the spreet or scoopon sites .. sometimes they have specials for under $200 ... there was a mystery one last week around $150 4 star and they said it was a stones throw from circular quay

One thing to keep in mind Ellie, when you do book is which Terminal you are leaving from OPT at Circular Quay or White Bay [some cruises you were looking at go from one others the other].

Also how long you are going to stay in town and what you want to do while in Syd.

Haven't booked as yet, but will very shortly. We have both been to Sydney a couple of times, so sightseeing isn't a priority. We simply want to stay overnight (the night before the cruise). We have narrowed down our choice to 3 cruises in particular, and after looking at the Cruise Schedule, they all depart from the OPT.

Haven't booked as yet, but will very shortly. We have both been to Sydney a couple of times, so sightseeing isn't a priority. We simply want to stay overnight (the night before the cruise). We have narrowed down our choice to 3 cruises in particular, and after looking at the Cruise Schedule, they all depart from the OPT.

I hadn't seen that you had narrowed it down before that post but yep that three use OPT.

From OPT w love the Holiday Inn at the Rocks and Wotif can have some good deals.

But in Dec might be a bit expensive, the Y at the Rocks is also pretty handy to OPT.