Sydney Accommodation within walking distance of OPT

We have booked the Yorke on York in June for under $150 so I can let you know how that goes

There are a few good ones on York. It really depends on how close to the OPT you want to be and your budget.

Yes this one seems under a kilometer which is probably quite walkable even with a case....we won't have too much luggage as we are flying in. We can possibly afford a bit more for accommodation but then it's less to spend on the cruise. We are happy enough with our decision at the moment.....let you know after. ;)

Yes this one seems under a kilometer which is probably quite walkable even with a case....we won't have too much luggage as we are flying in. We can possibly afford a bit more for accommodation but then it's less to spend on the cruise. We are happy enough with our decision at the moment.....let you know after. ;)

I haven't stayed there but know where it is, lately the wife has been being put up at the Grace on York, further down near the QVB and it's pretty good and as they had used the Travelodge and sad this was better price I assume it's pretty reasonable.

Would love to hear how it is.

But then I'm pretty easy to please as long as it's clean and the bed's comfortable.

It's an easy walk. Downhill on Jamieson St to George St, then a flat walk from there to the OPT.

No, I live in Sydney, but the bus I catch into the city stops close to those apartments so I know what the walk is like. Yes, catching the train from the airport to Wynyard will be perfect. If you take the big escalators up to York St the apartments are only a short walk from there. You could also catch the train from Wynyard to Circular Quay if you felt the walk was too long for you.

Last month we were lucky enough to stay at the Harbor Rocks Hotel McGallery in their Penthouse Suite. The property is located in the Rocks Area of Sydney, with restaurants, bars and the weekend markets just a minute walk away. The Opera House was also easily accessible within a 10 minute walk. The Penthouse Suite had a rooftop terrace with views of the harbor, which was fantastic to see Celebrity Solstice sail in on the morning of our cruise. Fantastic breakfast on offer at the property, and with the Overseas Passenger Terminal an easy 5 minute downhill walk, this property was the perfect setting for a relaxing start to our holiday.

Last February we stayed at the Australian Sydney Hostel in the Rocks area. Perfect area, excellent private room for two, great, clean and quiet facilities. Couldn't believe it was my first hostel experience at 47. It was the perfect location, price, and all on top of an interesting archeological dig site with a roof top view of the Opera House.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last February we stayed at the Australian Sydney Hostel in the Rocks area. Perfect area, excellent private room for two, great, clean and quiet facilities. Couldn't believe it was my first hostel experience at 47. It was the perfect location, price, and all on top of an interesting archeological dig site with a roof top view of the Opera House.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't this the Sydney Harbour YHA, The Rocks in Cumberland St? Mentioned often and highly recommended, just a little awkward to get to with big suitcases if walking unless you go the long way. Has a web cam of Sydney Harbour as well.

Yes, that's the place. Sorry, not from Oz and just stumbled on this thread looking for something else. You do have to go the "long" way with luggage but it really isn't that long and it was how we found what became our favorite beer bar. For your days without luggage, couldn't be beat for access to ferries, train, and the entire harbor area. It worked great for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, that's the place. Sorry, not from Oz and just stumbled on this thread looking for something else. You do have to go the "long" way with luggage but it really isn't that long and it was how we found what became our favorite beer bar. For your days without luggage, couldn't be beat for access to ferries, train, and the entire harbor area. It worked great for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thought so. Great place and the pub just down the road very handy for refreshments:D

One point that you need to consider - the weather.

Factor in a taxi ride to the quay for anything not close enough to walk in the rain.

Personally I like to stay as close as I can but also kick off the holiday with a stay in a fairly nice hotel. We drive 7 hours to Sydney then park at the blue emu domestic airport carpark, get the train in from the airport to the quay - & after all that I want to easily walk to my hotel & be a little spoilt!

I always book online with the cheapest deal I can get, but having said that have never found a deal under $235 for any major 3.5 star & above hotel close to the quay. Sydney is expensive but I only go there once or twice a year.

I don't like staying at pub hotels etc on Friday or Saturday nights due to potential noise issues as well as potential rougher crowds about.

I also feel safer at larger hotels with good reputations.

We stayed last month at the Four Seasons - fantastic!!

Had dinner literally across the road at Jacksons On George, then sat at the hotel bar watching the passing parade as we had a drink.

Out the front door next morning & an easy 2 minute walk to the ship with cover from the Cahill expressway/railway station most of the way which was welcome as it was drizzling.

We don't buy hotel breakfasts as we consider we will be eating enough food that day once we board, so we usually just have tea/coffee available in the room & something light we take with us.

We have also stayed at The Marriott - very nice & very close also & another time at the Radisson Blue a little further up Pitt street - also very nice but it rained & we needed a cab ride to get to the ship & not get soaked.

Just an alternative view. :)

A lot will also depend on your budget.

We like pier one and Holiday Inn for location but they aren't cheap.

But nor are they the most expensive around, they are however in great spots, I love watching the ship arrive in the morning and a gentle stroll to board.

Hi Everyone,

I usually look at accommodation,with a budget in mind ,our next cruise is leaving from Circular Quay ,so will be at the Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney, at the moment it is very reasonable priced ,with buffet breakie from $200, very good value,only a short distance to walk for the ship.:)

Cheers Deb

we stayed here:

http://www.bbsydneyharbour.com.au/

very rustic little place, we had a room with 2 beds, a little patio, fridge, tv, free wifi and a hot breakfast/cereals/toast etc in the morning.

I'm pretty sure it came in at $240 a night, it has a view to the OPT and was <10 minutes walk (all down hill)

Next cruise out of Sydney, we're definitely staying there again.

But nor are they the most expensive around, they are however in great spots, I love watching the ship arrive in the morning and a gentle stroll to board.

Just to clarify my Darling says we pay between $300 and $350 a night at this two.

We agree! Stayed at Holiday Inn in March for our cruise. Walk everywhere easily from there, so central. Lots of restaurants nearby. Look out the window or up to pool area to see your ship in morning. Worth any extra cost for convenience and cab savings. Recommended!:)

I would recommend the York Apartments which is at the bridge end of the CBD. Good sized apartments with a separate open plan kitchen/dining/lounge, bedroom and bathroom. You can easily walk from here to the OPT and it is downhill.

We stayed at Menzies Hotel in Carrington St the night we said goodbye to Rhapsody. Very convenient location, right at Wynyard station so easily accessible by train from airport etc & just a short walk down George St to OPT, or just one stop on the train to Circular Quay.

We agree! Stayed at Holiday Inn in March for our cruise. Walk everywhere easily from there, so central. Lots of restaurants nearby. Look out the window or up to pool area to see your ship in morning. Worth any extra cost for convenience and cab savings. Recommended!:)

It has become pretty much our "go to" when cruising from OPT. I wish there was something similar near White Bay.

First cruise we did, we stayed the night before at the YHA in the Rocks. Had fun trying to get up to the location with 2 carry on bags, 2 suitcases and me in a wheelchair!! Not one of the most accessible places to get to!! But we had a great private accessible room with ensuite bathroom that overlooked the Opera House. We watched Rhapsody of the Seas come into dock from our room!

Night before our second cruise, we stayed at the WakeUp! Backpackers Hostel on the corner of George and Pitt Streets opposite Central Station. Again a private room with ensuite bathroom. The morning of departure, we loaded the back of my electric wheelchair with our carry on luggage and hubby wheeled the suitcases and we caught the train from Central to Circular Quay.

Last cruise we stayed at the Sebel Pier 1 which is just a short walk from the OPT and under the Harbour Bridge. Wasnt bad but for the $$ we had unnessecary problems with our room. Couldnt be moved to another room as they were fully booked.

Next cruise, we're booked into the Four Seasons the night before.

First cruise we did, we stayed the night before at the YHA in the Rocks. Had fun trying to get up to the location with 2 carry on bags, 2 suitcases and me in a wheelchair!! Not one of the most accessible places to get to!! But we had a great private accessible room with ensuite bathroom that overlooked the Opera House. We watched Rhapsody of the Seas come into dock from our room!

Night before our second cruise, we stayed at the WakeUp! Backpackers Hostel on the corner of George and Pitt Streets opposite Central Station. Again a private room with ensuite bathroom. The morning of departure, we loaded the back of my electric wheelchair with our carry on luggage and hubby wheeled the suitcases and we caught the train from Central to Circular Quay.

Last cruise we stayed at the Sebel Pier 1 which is just a short walk from the OPT and under the Harbour Bridge. Wasnt bad but for the $$ we had unnessecary problems with our room. Couldnt be moved to another room as they were fully booked.

Next cruise, we're booked into the Four Seasons the night before.

Wow that sure is some variety in accom.

For those in a scooter or wheel chair the only way to the YHA Rocks would have to be by turning right onto George St after exciting the terminal entrance road, all the way under the bridge then hard left onto Cumberland St at the Harbour View hotel, past bridge climb office then finally getting to the YHA.

An easier alternative hotel in your would be the Harbour Rocks, Rendezvous, or Old Sydney HI.

Getting from Wake Up to central station would also have been an excursion.

Thinking that your next stay at Four Seasons would have superior access and easy to get to OPT albeit many more $$$.