Pula - Comments, please!

We will be stopping in Pula. I've done a little research and found out about the Roman amphitheater there, and some other ruins. Is there anything else there I should see?

Also, do ships tender there, or is there a dock? Our ship is not huge, but it's not a river ship either.

I just can't find much information about Pula!

Can't help with the docking question as I have always driven to Pula.

Yes the amphitheater and the museum underneath is interesting. Then you need to walk to the "left" after exiting the Colliseum and find the Historical and Maritime museum, its a short walk and you'll manage the steep hills. (not recommended if its raining). Its on the highest hill in Pula and has some canon outside as well as some interesting exhibits. I really enjoyed it but I am a history/museum lover and will spend time looking at things.

Also, for lunch, get a pizza! Istria used to be part of Venice and their pizza is better if not equal to Italian pizza. I love it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this post and am a bit late. Also my information is REALLY old! We were in Pula in 1977 when I entered an opera competition. We were there for a few days (no more than two or three, after that we drove down the coast to Dubrovnik). But we found the town charming and there was enough to do considering that the town is not large. We very much enjoyed visiting the Amphitheater. I don't recall the Museum, so either we didn't go there (or we did and I forgot), or it was established later.

Unfortunately, our visit there was so long ago that I don't have computer notes covering our visit. Just some memories!

We enjoyed it very much.

Mura

• 1 month later...

Thanks to those who responded, and to anyone who may respond in the future. We don't go until September, but I'm a planner, and so I've been researching. I had not yet looked at Trip Advisor to see what they had, but what they have was certainly more than what I started out with, so thanks for the link. The links and other bits of memories and information were helpful as well. I normally love the lesser-known places, so I'm sure I will enjoy Pula. I'm on a new (well, barely built) ship and they will be offering a free walking tour of the city's main attractions (Roman ruins mostly). (Becki, are you on Viking by chance?) Before or after that I will probably amble around the town (and have a pizza?) and I'm also thinking of going to Rovinj on a public bus, as it looks pretty nice. But so far I haven't really made up my mind...

At least I found an answer to one of my questions. We tender in Pula.

Roothy,

Yes, I am on Viking's maiden voyage, Istanbul to Venice. I finally got info on the excursions, so I am checking them out for me and our other couple with us on the cruise. Was also stumped on Pula, so was checking it out for other options besides the included walking tour, when I saw your post. ;)

Becki

Roothy,

Yes, I am on Viking's maiden voyage, Istanbul to Venice. I finally got info on the excursions, so I am checking them out for me and our other couple with us on the cruise. Was also stumped on Pula, so was checking it out for other options besides the included walking tour, when I saw your post. ;)

Becki

I'm not on the Maiden voyage, but going Venice to Ist in late September. Glad Viking posted more info, as some people on the boards were getting pretty mad. I'm more low-key, plus have cruised Viking enough to know they'll pull things off, so some of those posts made me so mad I didn't go back on the boards for a week or so. Anyway, when I first posted here, asking for info on Pula, I knew a lot less than I do now. In the mean time, Viking posted their excursions, and some are actually affordable and appealing, so I just may possibly drop my long-standing rule of doing things on my own...

The hill towns plus the excursion to Rovinj sound good. As to Brijuni, from what I've read, it doesn't sound all that fantastic unless a person is more interested in the historical aspects of the park (Tito's visits, etc.) I would go if it were 1) cheaper and 2) had more free-roaming animals to tempt me to visit. But of course everyone is different (and I am DEFINITELY different, I have found) so I imagine some people will want to go there. Besides, it's not easy to do on your own like the Rovinj tour would be.

I know this is a little off-topic, but since I started the post, I think it's ok to ask: Do you have starting times for the excursions in Pula and other places, or just the description and prices? I'm curious to see if the included tours are going to be staggered throughout the day, en masse with different guides, or how Viking is going to do that. I'm also curious if all the other excursions will leave in the morning and if so, about how long after the ship is scheduled to dock (or anchor, in the case of Pula and Santorini).

Roothy,

I do have the times for the excursions. Here's a link, but it was posted by a woman on the maiden voyage who is doing the whole trip from Istanbul to Stockholm, so you'll want only about the first 20 or so pages. Maybe a few more, since you'll probably want some Venice excursions.

Hopefully the times won't change too much by the time of your cruise. And, I did find out that you can combine some excursions, like an included excursion with an optional, but you have to be sure you have at least a half-hour b/t the one ending and the second beginning.

Good luck with your planning, Roothy!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=337639&d=1421888000

Becki

and I'm also thinking of going to Rovinj on a public bus, as it looks pretty nice. But so far I haven't really made up my mind....

Love love love Rovinj!! Stayed a week there, you have to do the old town area, lots of steep streets, artists lining the walkways, Great views from the Cathedral area. It won't take all day but if you are doing sightseeing in Pula you might be pushing it for time.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I'm back. I've learned more about Pula, but still would like to dredge up some information on the following, if anybody happens to know:

The cruise line says we're tendering, but a video I saw showed what looked to be a cruise ship pulling up to a dock not too far from the Amphitheater. I'm thinking that's the ferry dock, not anything a cruise ship could use, and so I kept looking. A web site shows the cruise port is south (or west?) of the ferry port, in between a spit of land that attaches to a larger industrial part of the port. I couldn't find a port site for Pula that shows cruise ships arriving in 2015, only 2014, but I think we're the only cruise ship there on the day we visit.

Would anyone know just where cruise ships dock (if they dock at all) or if they don't dock, where they tender their passengers? Is there an official port web site for Pula? I did find the one that showed the 2014 schedule, and assume that when cruise season rolls around they will update it. However, if anyone knows anything more, I'd appreciate it!

If I want to take a bus to Rovinj, do I need to go to the bus terminal that is near the ferry port, not too far from the Amphitheater? I found a bus schedule for the various companies that run buses to Rovinj, but I'm just wondering how far I would need to go from the place where we are dropped off (or dock) to get to the bus.

Anybody have a clue? (Yes, I know I ask difficult questions!) Thanks.